Suggestions for staying sober

Hi all I recently got this app and committed to staying sober. I was thinking to go 1 year abstinant and then reevaluate at that point to see if there is any point attempting to drink again. I went 8 days and then drank again last Friday and again I drank last night. I am digging in here again today on day 1. No messing around this time. Going to stay sober and see if I can enjoy life better without needing alcohol. I’m thinking I will start hitting the gym more and get into learning something new to occupy my time. Any other suggestions from some of you more advanced people is much welcome. Thanks

7 Likes

Howdy!

I found journaling to be helpful early on. Documenting how I was feeling and my struggles helped not only get it out but also gave strength when I felt weak.

AA meetings are a good way to pass time and help others and yourself.

Another thing I did was to start change my relationship with alcohol, and honestly, this was key.

7 Likes

See if you can join some support groups maybe in your area. I have 5 years sobriety just from this app and 1 Monday meeting a week. I used to drown myself in this app for the first year of my sobriety. For me, i found it very helpful. I think it’s really all about staying busy, keeping your mind busy. Hobbies, work, etc… find a routine that works for you. I think the first year is the most challenging trying to figure out positive things to do with your time. But after that, it just gets easier. Maybe the gym…

4 Likes

Two very valuable threads: Your #1 tip for sobriety (over 2 years sober)

Resources for our recovery

3 Likes

For me having something to work on daily connected to my recovery, was key. Reading a chapter of quit lit, listening to a podcast, going to AA meeting, especially in the morning, to solidify my intention for the day.

2 Likes