Sunday Learning From The Scriptures

I see. So we’re going to do this.

If you dont believe that we can become like God, then what is the point of eternal life? We are God’s children. And if children, then heirs and joint heirs with Christ. Meaning that we can inherit all that God has for us. We can become as He is, yes.

3 Likes

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here??

4 Likes

Thanks Gabe. Some people are just determined to be right about stuff. This Christian doesn’t need converting to Christianity. I’m already there, bro.

2 Likes

So I have completed reading The New Testament for the first time in my life. I have to say that I know so much more now than I did a year ago. Christ means much more to me, as do the prophets and apostles, than previously as well. I am very thankful that I took the time to read the scriptures and continue to feel the spirit it brings. I look forward to another year of study :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I wish I had been able to do all the readings this year. I do regularly study the scriptures, but it doesnt always fall in line with the Sunday topic.

1 Like

Its not about being right about stuff. When you claim your spreading the same gospel as Jesus I am going to question it. Especially since your teaching is we can become a god of another planet and have a goddess wife. The fact questioning it is immediately found to be offensive is absurd.

It’s not the fact questioning. I can see what you’re doing. You are trying to start a debate. That is not the purpose of this thread, which I created. I’m trying to help increase others’ faith in Christ.

I dont get why it’s so ludicrous that God would want us to become as He is. What exactly is the purpose of eternity if not eternal progression? Sit on a cloud eating grapes? If God’s creations are endless, then what? Are we just the only human inhabited planet in the universe?

We must broaden our minds to accept that God’s work and glory, His purpose essentially, is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. We are His children. We are created in his image. He follows eternal laws of procreation. Like us, God must have a someone to create spiritual children with. I.e. a goddess.

There are many holes in the bible’s teachings that do not cover a lot of the doctrines of eternity. But, claiming that the bible is the one and only word of God (not that you are), is ignorant.

1 Like

That’s alright. It’s great to have read the same things as everybody else for good discussions, sure, but it’s more important to learn and teach the things that are most needed and beneficial to you and your family. The Gospel should be lived, after all :slight_smile: I think if you made an effort, it counts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just wanted to remind everybody the purpose of this topic, and I will quote the original post for the topic for reference:

I think we need to remember that we all have a different perspective and likely belong to different faiths. If anything, this topic is a multi-faith discussion on gospel topics we each may believe in, even those that may be different from our own.

2 Likes

Along with my previous post above, may I point out two things from your recent post:

I agree. We should not seek to be the correct religion or viewpoint and force it upon others. But please note what happened next:

It was at this point that I wondered how you could have both of these quotes in the same post. The very thing we just agreed upon, not being right or wrong, is not in play anymore.

I am not here to fight, rather I hope that we can settle this a bit. I just want this topic to be an uplifting and spiritual one for others who are reading (and those in the future who stumble upon it and perhaps join in the discussion of this topic). :slight_smile:

Please continue to post along with us as we share viewpoints and have discussions on them, but let’s keep it fair to everybody. And this goes for us all haha :wink:

2 Likes

A little investigation reveals that hes actually mewilhoward. A forum member from long ago. I imagine hes just trying to start crap with me.

No hard feelings.

1 Like

Maybe I am now the one taking it too far. I just hate seeing people attacked for a belief. I’m sorry, maybe I’m the one that needs to apologize now haha.

Thanks for letting me know, that’s good to hear then :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, there was definitely some need for your words still.

1 Like

With the start of the new year, I decided to study The Book of Mormon. The scripture within has changed my life. I think that anyone who sincerely wants to learn, may gain valuable spiritual insight and draw closer to their God. If you are following my thread, please keep an open mind and study with me.

I’ll be starting with the introduction to the Book of Mormon.

Introduction

The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible. It is a record of God’s dealings with ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains the fulness of the everlasting gospel.

The book was written by many ancient prophets by the spirit of prophecy and revelation. Their words, written on gold plates, were quoted and abridged by a prophet-historian named Mormon. The record gives an account of two great civilizations. One came from Jerusalem in 600 B.C. and afterward separated into two nations, known as the Nephites and the Lamanites. The other came much earlier when the Lord confounded the tongues at the Tower of Babel. This group is known as the Jaredites. After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are among the ancestors of the American Indians.

The crowning event recorded in the Book of Mormon is the personal ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ among the Nephites soon after His resurrection. It puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the plan of salvation, and tells men what they must do to gain peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come.

After Mormon completed his writings, he delivered the account to his son Moroni, who added a few words of his own and hid up the plates in the Hill Cumorah. On September 21, 1823, the same Moroni, then a glorified, resurrected being, appeared to the Prophet Joseph Smith and instructed him relative to the ancient record and its destined translation into the English language.

In due course the plates were delivered to Joseph Smith, who translated them by the gift and power of God. The record is now published in many languages as a new and additional witness that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and that all who will come unto Him and obey the laws and ordinances of His gospel may be saved.

Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.”

In addition to Joseph Smith, the Lord provided for eleven others to see the gold plates for themselves and to be special witnesses of the truth and divinity of the Book of Mormon. Their written testimonies are included herewith as “The Testimony of Three Witnesses” and “The Testimony of Eight Witnesses.”

We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost. (See Moroni 10:3–5.)

Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is His revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the Second Coming of the Messiah.

1 Like

1 Nephi 1-7
(https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/1?lang=eng)
God will prepare a way for me to do His will

When the Lord commanded Lehi and his family to obtain the plates of brass from Laban, He did not give specific instructions on how to accomplish this commandment. This is often true of other commandments or personal revelations we receive from God, and this might lead us to feel like He has required “a hard thing” (1 Nephi 3:5). What inspires you about Nephi’s response to the Lord’s command, found in 1 Nephi 3:7, 15–16? Is there anything you feel impressed to “go and do”?

As you study 1 Nephi 1–7, look for ways God prepared the way for Lehi and his family. How has He done this for you?

See also Proverbs 3:5–6; 1 Nephi 17:3; “Obedience,” Gospel Topics, topics.ChurchofJesusChrist.org;

1 Like

I like how 1 Nephi 1:20 reminds me of Genesis 32:10. The Lord blesses us even when we aren’t as worthy as we wish we were. It’s a reminder to me that when we do our best, that is often good enough; while I work on improving and changing and repenting, I can be blessed for my efforts.

I’ll throw a “2 cents” provocative question in here, if I may.
We talk of “scriptures” which have been written down: ancient like the Torah, the New Testament and the Bhagavad Gita; then the more modern Qu’ran, the Book of Mormon and Mao’s Little Red Book (if that counts!) …
Many people are fans - some fanatics! - in these diverse ‘religions’ (I don’t that word because it smells of rules and punishment for me) traditions or belief systems. Obviously family and cultural background play a large influence.
Personally, I’m interested in finding the truth and learning to follow that. I stand by belief that all scriptures will probably contain some truth, universal wisdom, common experience etc, but I cannot believe that all scriptures are True if there are contradictions between (not within) them.
Also is it possible to distinguish between a faith / belief / spiritual life and an ideology?
There you go: religio-philosophical microphone drop!
:hushed:

2 Likes

I appreciate your outlook on things. I may not agree with a lot of the doctrines in the bagavad gita or the Quran, but I can appreciate the messages within and the faith they promote.

1 Like

I agree, myself, that there are good things in many of these accounts (I’m not completely familiar with all of them though, to be honest) I think it’s important to find what stirs you to act more holy and be a better person. Isn’t that one of the many points of religious texts: to become a “new creature” as Paul has put it? So, yeah, I think I agree!

2 Likes

Monday scriptures (!)
From the Bible, Old and New Testaments…
Here is truth we can rely on, from my experience of 45 years trying to follow Jesus, the one who (Christians believe) came to rescue us from the mess we’re in as humans caught up in a world that had rejected God.
January 13, Morning

“You keep completely safe the people who maintain their faith, for they trust in you.”

• Isa 26:3 NET

Throw your burden upon the Lord, and he will sustain you. He will never allow the godly to be upended.—“I will trust in him and not fear. For the Lord gives me strength and protects me; he has become my deliverer.”

“Why are you cowardly, you people of little faith?”—Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.—“If you calmly trusted in me you would find strength.”

Fairness will produce peace and result in lasting security.—“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage.”—Peace to you from “he who is,” and who was, and who is still to come.
    Ps 55:22, Isa 12:2, Matt 8:26, Phil 4:6-7, Isa 30:15, Isa 32:17, John 14:27, Rev 1:4

https://www.youdevotion.com/light/january/13

2 Likes