Talking Sober Feedback

excellent idea…it would give people looking through your profile an idea of where your at in your sobriety without having to ask, i like it!

1 Like

Hi @Anthony

It’s not really possible to integrate the counter into your profile like that.
What you could do is update your profile biography to something like “I have been clean from XYZ since 18 August 2016”. That would give others an idea of your addiction and how long you’ve been clean.

2 Likes

Thanks @Rikk! Unfortunately it’s not possible but we can just update our profile like Robin said. No biggie. :slight_smile:

Gotcha @Robin! Thanks for checking into it.

@Robin how does one move up in member status? Is it by time we’ve been here or amount we’ve shared?

Hi Robin. Can I set up the app on 2 different devices? I don’t seem to find any “log in” screen so it wants me to set up a new addiction.

Yep…that is what I’ve been doing but I was hoping to have the app and counter too. I could always just add an addiction on the ipad and set the counter to the same date and time as I have on my phone but hoped first that I could “link” them.

But then again…since my daughter “steals” my ipad all the time for Netflix maybe I don’t want her to see the app and my counter!!

2 Likes

@Melrm. You have to be so close to earning “Regular Status” Mel. There’s only 16 of us including Robin and it’s all of the close knit peeps that are very active in the community. I’d say you fit that bill as well.

1 Like

@Melrm The forum uses a few things to move people up to different ranks. It looks at how long you’ve been on here, how many topics you’ve read and replied to, how many likes you’ve received etc. It’s not a goal where you try and get to it as soon as possible, it happens naturally as you participate in the community.

1 Like

You can set it up on two different devices, but they will be two different instances of the app. They will not be synced. If you want to track it on both, set up the same addiction on both.

It’s a great site/ app. Thank you so much.

Two very minor things about the mantras that appear. One, some need editing. Today’s one misuses the verb lay, which is transitive not intransitive.

it’s not that big a deal, but it annoys me and is easy to fix. A bigger edit: surely we dont need or want all these mantras that have gendered language, like “A man (sic) who can overcome adversity…” A lot of users are women. This is alienating for us, whether or not we choose to complain about it. PLEASE fix this! Again, it’s easy to do, and it sends an important signal about who this space is for.

@Blueroom

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll fix that grammatical error in the next update.

As for the gendered language, these are all from quotes. That’s the reason they have been kept as is. It’s not meant to alienate anyone and is simply meant to reflect the integrity of the original quote. I didn’t create this space with a gender in mind, so it really shouldn’t send you signals about who the space is for. It’s for everyone.

3 Likes

Quotations, sure, I’m all for academic integrity – though honestly, if you don’t cite the sources, I’m not sure if the need to preserve gendered language is really justified. I mean, these lines don’t serve the same purpose as a quote in an article. Obviously. If we set that aside, and if you won’t change them, could you consider including an equal number of quotations that eould be welcoming to men in the same way? Like, “Be someone who is unafraid to be herself”, or, “You have what it takes to be a victorious, independent, fearless woman”. That would be great. “Don’t be the girl who fell. Be the girl who got back up”.

You might want to read atound for a wider range of quotations…

Also, today everyday was misused, where it should be every day. The former is an adjective, the latter is an adverb.

I know I sound like a grammar nazi, and political correctness police. Honestly I am super grateful to you and to the forum. This is coming from a desire to make an already excellent thing just one or two notches more awesome.

I do think that intention is different from implication and effect. I certainly know that you, Robin, don’t have any desire to be exclusive. Social change happens when well intentioned people start opening up even more attentively to subaltern voices.

I appreciate the grammatical help :slight_smile: I’ll look into adding some more quotes that refer to women, but I can’t promise that it will be a priority. A lot of work goes into Sober Time and some of it is more pressing than others.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Thank you!

I know the app must be a lot of work. To me it’s very noticeable that in the forum, women’s voices are if anything more present than men’s, or certainly just as much; ultimately it would be nice if the cover matched the contents. Anyway, thanks again for a great app.

I will try not to repeat myself here, but also want to mention that several of these quotations are translations, and the gendered language is often introduced by the translator. Today, for instance, we have the nice Chinese proverb, “a gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man without trial”. This is presumably not the only way to translate the line.

Maybe there is and I don’t know about it yet, but I wish there were a way to block people so you don’t see their posts, or at the least, have a thread disappear (for the individual flagging it) after you flag it. This might help since there may (naturally) be a gap between flagging and when moderators can take care of the issue.

2 Likes

You remind me of my sister! Lol, she’s an English teacher and is always correcting others. :wink: