The 2 Mel's New Goal and Accountability Log

Edited: Today, @MelB and I start our step down method to quit smoking cigarettes. We’ll start with 10, tomorrow 9, and so on… (I can’t use patches, or any other type of nicotine replacement or medication because it makes me sick.) We will be down to 0 (first day completely off cigarettes on Thursday, May 25th.) I’ll continue to flush my system of toxins by drinking fresh lime juice with water each morning, make probiotic shakes (yogurt, L-glutamine, niacinamide, and blueberries) for breakfast, green tea after dinner, and lots of water throughout the day.
Please feel free to join us if you’re stable in your sobriety and are ready for another goal.

22 Likes

Day 1: 10 cigarettes
Thinking about counting and cutting down makes me obsess about it more than I should. I’ve already had 3 since I woke up this morning at 7am and it’s not quite noon. Coffee is definitely a smoking trigger. I’ll be treating this like my alcohol and drug addiction in sobriety…checking in with others, being honest about how I’m feeling, compassion for self, healthy food choices, keeping my hands and mind busy. I feel a bit scared of quitting…not really sure why. Maybe because it’s uncomfortable and I’m letting go of a vice that doesn’t serve me well. Like saying goodbye to a toxic friend that took up a lot of my time. Anyways, I’m looking forward to the benefits once my body has the chance to start healing.
And, oh yeah…any inspiration or advice would be welcomed. I’m not hogging this thread all to myself :wink: :no_smoking:

7 Likes

I wanted to give up smoking and sugar too. but i am not there yet. i have 36 days now. and i read ur comments about ppl struggling after hitting a benchmark and thats how i feel. was really hyped at 30 days now im down. well thank u for ur posts bc u r making me feel okay now just by replying to you and just knowing that someone else out there is tuffing it out like i am today!!!

3 Likes

I like your thread @Melrm. Quitting smoking is a real bear. I’m glad I never picked up the stuff. I commend you for your efforts. You can do it. We believe in you! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Think of the benefits to your bank balance too. Good luck. I’m getting sober first, but thought of quitting smoking at the same time but it would be a step too far at once I think. Usually after a week of sobriety I feel balanced so maybe next week.

I’m seeing my partner at the weekend, to try and patch things up following my crazy behaviour last week on alcohol, he doesn’t like smoking so maybe that will be the motivation along with the fact I want to stop. I already kicked weed ages ago, now I want to kick alcohol and tobacco and be completely clean once and for all.

Instead of smoking a full cigarette each time, try having half and then relight it. You’ll be smoking less and it’ll still be there when you have another craving.

Good luck x

3 Likes

Thank you…yes, I’ve been smoking a half at a time. It’s a wise choice to only set one goal at a time (for me anyways) I know some people can quit smoking and drinking at the same time. I’ve tried that and failed…too overwhelming. Now that I have 133 days of sobriety (free from alcohol and 2 drugs) under my belt and feel very stable, I knew it was time to move on to my next lifestyle change. I won’t be cutting out sugar or caffeine until much later (Again, one goal at a time) Once I hit day 0, I’ll be keeping track of quit days and amount saved using this app as well.

4 Likes

Great plan @Melrm! I know you can do it!

2 Likes

Yay! That’s great, Mel! My husband uses a tracker app specifically for quitting smoking. Are you using an additional app to track your progress? Also, do you have anything to sate the oral fixation component? My husband kept caramel apple lollipops on hand for the first month or so to help with cravings. Had to be those specific pops because they take a while to finish.

Good luck!! :blush:

2 Likes

Yayyy go mel go!!! Sunflower seeds helped me quit! I love those little guys!

1 Like

Great idea…I get to go lollipop shopping :scream::laughing:
Thinking about…
*gum
*water
*altoids
*cherry coke tic tacs
*jolly ranchers
*watermelon sparkling water

•using this app as a tracker
•find a quit smoking tracker as well
•quitting with @MelB :wink:
•quit smoking meditations
•reading Allen Carr book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking
•make a collage that half represents the toxic side of smoking and half represents what I’ll gain by quitting

6 Likes

You are a true warrior @Melrm!! I’m grateful I never really picked those up (except a few party nights in high school!). I do know people who have struggled with quitting them. You are strong and will have all of us behind you. You got this!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, you know how I give out homework? Yeah, I’ll be doing my own on here. :wink:

My Reasons for Quitting

*My grandfather and grandmother passed away from emphysema.
*My father and uncle passed away from smoking related cancer.
*My aunt is on oxygen for emphysema and is in hospice.
*My other uncle is in the beginning stages of emphysema.
*I don’t want to die this way (something I do have control over) and become a burden to others.
*I want clear skin and stop the smoking related wrinkles.
*I want to smell clean and fresh, not like an ashtray.
*Not get out of breath so easily. Be able to exercise, hike, enjoy the outdoors more.
*Save a ton of money (roughly $20 a week) and use it towards something beneficial.
*Not be a slave to cigarettes (telling me when I need to step outside for a “break”, feeling upset when I’m close to running out, having to carry them wherever I go)
*Become a healthier version of myself
*Use time in a more productive manner, to actually relax, to choose what I do with my time.
*To make myself proud.
*To make my mother proud.
*To make my friends (here and in life) proud.
*Improve my oral hygiene (whiter teeth, fresher breath, healthy gums)
*To quit so I can focus on my other future goals.
*To not feel like a moron; smoking in public and getting dirty looks.
*To be healthier for the people around me (my step-daughter, my non-smoking friends and family)

@MelB aaaannnd…Go!

7 Likes

Day 2: 9 cigarette limit

I’ve had 3 so far since 7am and it’s almost noon. Been chewing gum like it’s going to be banned. So, this brings me to my next piece of homework…

My Triggers and What to do Instead

*coffee / limit intake to 1 good (mindful) cup instead of 4
*anger, annoyance, stress / read pg 417 in the Big Book, do a breath exercise

*boredom (doesn’t happen often) / sit still and really take in my environment and how my body feels (mindfulness) :no_smoking: garden, read, make art
*taking a break at work / walk around, drink water, text my Sisters :wink:

@MelB tag, you’re it!

5 Likes

You’re an inspiration Mel. I’m going to quit too, thinking of starting tomorrow though. I have only 6 left for today, then nicotine patch is on first thing in the morning.

3 Likes

@MelB and @Melrm,

Those are great lists of reasons to quit. Very powerful, personal, and motivating. It helps to write them down, doesn’t it? Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I was hypnotized. IT worked for me​:grin:, but my friend it didn’t work for her she smoked as soon as we come out. But of course I’m susceptible to believe anything so there you go monkey see monkey do​:monkey_face:! :wink::heart:

1 Like

@Melrm Real, there’s going to be a fight? Where ?when? No way… really :monkey_face::monkey::rofl::rofl:… sobriety is so cool…:heart::heart::heart::confetti_ball::tada::balloon::hugs:

Yep…fighting our addictions (goals)

@Melrm I am there with you guys sign​:page_facing_up: me up! :black_nib::heartpulse::heartpulse:

What’s your goal?