The addiction crisis

I want to read this book.

1 Like

We had a simular show on our local tv station for the opioid/opiate problem on eastern shore md and delaware.

1 Like

It’s so sad how many people I’ve lost to this disease

Thank you for posting this. It means a lot since I’ve been following this for a while (even before I started recovery). I’ll share my insights and articles that I come across about it and how we can make things better for ourselves and those around us

Federal Gov: We want to help fight the opiate epidemic.
State/Local Gov: Here’s a plan we are going to do that worked in other countries.
Federal Gov: Ugh, yeah we don’t want to help that much.

Well that’s fucking disappointing.

1 Like

My agency is still pressing hard to get one in Syracuse, but this doesn’t bode well for our future. I am much disappoint. Actually I’m fucking angry. The government talks a big fucking game, but the only recovery they support are ones they can tax. This is the grassroots kinda shit that it would take and they threaten to throw people in jail over it. Fuck that noise.

Delaware and maryland have been pushing Closer to getting these. I really dont know how i feel about them as many scenerios can play here. Yes it could save lives but its not solving a problem. This would probably make may users goal/trend to over use and od knowing they wont die.

It’s been successful in Portugal in reducing overdose deaths as well as reducing the use rate. For it to be successful there needs to be services available on site. We have a medical clinic, syringe exchange, rehab navigators, STD testing, care management, insurance navigators, MAT programs, and social workers in the same location. Not only could it save lives, but it builds a safe place for an addict to receive services and hopefully choose to get into treatment when they are ready. Hell, this is where I got into treatment.

1 Like

This is probably too triggery. I’ll move it so newcomers don’t see it

No one discussed it anyway. But I would happily contribute to your new thread.

I’ll move it back

1 Like

I’ve been slacking myself

Quit moving shit! I’m not allowed back in the lounge I guess

I moved em back.

I definitely agree more safe injection sites are desperately needed. The direct safety benefit is one thing, but all the other services that can be made available at the same time ought to be considered too. For many, that is where they feel safe accessing other health and social services, and seeking out help with exiting their addictions.

Public opinion seems like one of the toughest obstacles. In my area they haven’t been able to set up formal safe injection sites, but the local health authority has been able to get around the lack of public awareness of the need by offering mobile services. For example, I can visit an RV to have my hypothetical drugs tested, when the community would chase out every attempt to install something permanent. We’re relatively close to Vancouver but people don’t understand the problem here because they think the problem looks like Downtown Eastside, then act surprised when overdose happens to their “normal-looking” cousin at home.

It also helps that I can just walk into the health authority building, ask for a naloxone kit, and get free training right on the spot about how to administer the injection and what to do before and after. No wait, no paperwork or ID, no prescription, nothing needed except concern for fellow humans.

1 Like

What?! Not even exchanges? Granted, I don’t know exactly how widespread they are here, but it’s pretty much a no brainer. The burden created by people resorting to dirty needles has real costs, not to mention people are a lot less motivated to dispose of used needles safely and properly without an exchange.

I guess public health care is a factor. Needle exchange is easier to argue for when you can explain to people that they can pay a small amount of tax money and allow needle exchange, or they can pay massive amounts of tax money looking after these people in the hospital when they get infected, and more money hiring people to clean up needles that haven’t been properly disposed of.

Huh, interestingly enough the local health authority here actually promotes needle distribution instead of needle exchange based on the evidence. The website was recently updated so I’m having trouble following links to the further information. I guess the idea is that making people turn in needles before giving them new ones makes them less likely to go get clean ones?

I’ll try to find the studies they’re basing the decision on later. I’m curious about the needle disposal issue as well.