The Art Thread

Always been one of my favorite works. I am so fortunate, I live 1 hour away from where it is on permanent exhibit at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Thanks, I’ll check it out. One of my favorite American artists. Actually so is Georgia O’Keeffe. Way ahead of her time both artistically and socially.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Henri Cartier-Bresson (French 1908-2004), Rue Moffetard, Paris 1954, Black and White Photography

The father of street photography. 1st photographer to primarily shoot 35mm. Amazing body of work.

5 Likes

Thanks for that Luke! Gives me the opportunity (if I needed one) to post my favourite photographer, who found a job in Paris in 1950 with Magnum, doing prints for Cartier-Bresson and Robert Capa. And starting his street photography career of his own. Ed van der Elsken (Dutch 1925-1990). This one from New York, 42 st, 1960.

4 Likes

Vaguely familiar with the piece, not familiar with the artist. Wow! What a resume! Thank you! Definitely going to explore more.

2 Likes

If you have the time watch this one on a big(ger) screen. It’s the town I grew up in. Totally different from today -so messy back then- yet still the same. I was 15.

1 Like

Children carrying holly and mistle toe, 1915. London.

5 Likes

My son Evan Gilbert’s newest. He’s located in Brooklyn.

3 Likes

“Ukrainian artist Oleksandr Torbyak (b.1972)”
“Christmas Eve”

1 Like

Georgia O’Keefe
“Lake George, 1924💚
Oil on Canvas
18 1/8 by 35 1/8 in.”

This is in Northern New Mexico, USA. I have a friend who camped there last summer.

6 Likes

Miss Ukraine will wear a costume called “Warrior of Light” in the 2023 Miss Universe pageant. The artist made it reportedly without electricity and with the sound of sirens in the background. Dec 27, 2022
Lots of symbolism in the dress design from power to light … art!
Art evokes emotion. And thought.

6 Likes

Just booked my ticket for February 13. See you there?

3 Likes

Yes, please, a ticket… thank you, I would most like to see this, it is your beautiful full Dutch clouds. Exquisite. If I miss Feb 13, hopefully I can catch it when it is back to The Hague.

“View of Delft is an oil painting by Johannes Vermeer, painted ca. 1659–1661. The painting of the Dutch artist’s hometown is among his best known, painted at a time when cityscapes were rare.” wiki

Johannes Vermeer

4 Likes

“ The Sunflower door in Prague

Architects: Osvald Polivka, Vaclav Haver, Built: 1900”

5 Likes

First time in Centraal Museum in Utrecht. Big video art exhibition. Last part is brutal with madness and war. This project by Richard Mosse called the Enclave, dealing with civil war in Congo, especially hit me hard.

5 Likes

Side of a building in a small, rural AZ town.

7 Likes

She is one of my favorite artists. I got to see several paintings when I went to the Milwaukee Museum of Art last summer and it was such a treat.

1 Like

First time for me visiting Utrecht’s Catherijnenconvent. It has a splendid collection of medieval religious art. This a fine example, the marriage of Mary and Joseph, by Master of St. Goedele, 1485.

4 Likes

A month ago we’ve been to Paris - I’ve missed my “ritual” autumn visit - and I bought great postcards with his photos on it. My friends loved them.

1 Like

My first encounter with hyperrealysm. Some works thrilled me, some - I’m sorry to say - left me rather indifferent. I found this one amazing and very touching.

Marc Sijan, “Cornered”

4 Likes

I don’t like talking photos of paintings, sculptures and artwork in general (I rarely od it).
But I had to take a couple of photos of Mosè… after spending almost an hour in San Pietro in Vincoli (I adore Michelangelo).

5 Likes