The Art Thread

Saw the big Vermeer exhibit in Rijksmuseum yesterday. Awesome. It runs till June 4, and is sold out. Although they are considering giving out more tickets. I’d say get m when possible. Once in a lifetime thing with 27 out of 29 known Vermeers on display. Come early as well. It gets busy fast. X

5 Likes

I Gasped when I saw the landscape just now, so thanks for posting it. So glad that you saw the exhibit, how nice for you.
Links: The museum

Two reviews:

2 Likes

Street art. Inspired by Covid.

6 Likes

Omg I love this. So cool!!

1 Like

I loved it too. Came across it while going to a Banksy’s exhibition last year.
I love street art. I found a couple of interesting guerilla street art graffiti in Istanbul, but I didn’t take any photos (and now I regret it :crazy_face:).

2 Likes

I much prefer Georgia O’Keefe’s landscapes to her flowers, but this works! Also reminds me that in my area of the world, spring and flowers are coming sooner than later!

Georgia O’Keefe
“Red Hills With Flowers , 1937”

2 Likes

Wow, very impressive!

1 Like

Does someone know Käthe Kollwitz? I like her art a lot, but for the most people it is too dark.

It is the mother with her dead son.

3 Likes

“SheKraine original Digital Art by B Hall”
Beverly Hall
(Arts for Ukraine)

2 Likes

“Georgia O’Keeffe (1887–1986) ~~ The Chestnut Grey, 1924. Oil on canvas, 36 x 30⅛ inches. Curtis Galleries, Minneapolis, Minnesota”

Even though there are not chestnuts around here, this reminds me so much of what is happening in my natural world… Bare trees and bright planets!
@RosaCanDo want to make sure you see this since you may have seen it at the museum

7 Likes

I am not familiar with this piece - thank you for sharing! I love it.

1 Like

My mum loved her. I remember mostly her charcoal drawings. Damned it was dark. too much for me. While as a kid I totally was raptured by everything concerning war WW2 especially, including pictures and movies. Somehow art hits me harder than a simple representation of what is actually happening. Like the video art I saw a couple of months ago in Utrecht, and where I posted about here, called The Enclave by Richard Mosse.

4 Likes

Just recently found this hand stitched version of Ta Matete by Paul Gauguin at an outdoor flea market and I knew I had to get it!

Not the biggest fan of Gauguin leaving his wife and children to go to French Polynesia to “discover” himself :unamused:

Also I think Ta Matete means We Shall Not Go To Market Today and I love it. Yes, live your life and rest :clap:t6:

Some pictures from a tour I took of Tempelhof Airport last week. It was a prestige project of the Nazis that was eventually taken over by the Americans after WWII

5 Likes

Thanks @liminal.rehab never saw the pics of the airport before, thank you. I will google it later, too.

Your Gaugin reminded me of one of my favorite artist’s work. Bise Butler. I’ve posted her work on this thread before.

All textile.

Some historical, others not.

Sending link of her portfolio on her website.

There aren’t accompanying descriptions.

Her Instagram account has descriptions of each piece.

Scroll down in this article and you’ll see a description of “Forever”

Her portfolio in her website.

https://www.bisabutler.com/porfolio

“Forever 2020”
Bise Butler

5 Likes

My son’s latest

5 Likes

It definitely does

2 Likes

Thank you for this! I’ve seen their work around the internet but never really looked! I’ll look at it later. Good morning

1 Like

That’s super interesting. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

The band Yes always had great artwork, especially in the gatefold

I’ve also always loved this album cover/photo, not sure what it is about it. Definitely captures the feel of the music though.

4 Likes

TW: Death

The “Call of Death” from her ,on fabric, hangs in my hallway. Bought it during my heaviest drinking time with depressions.:wink:

4 Likes