The Art Thread

Yesterday I was back in my favourite building in Amsterdam, Oude Kerk. Also the oldest standing structure in town, it now serves as a museum / exhibition space with artists making installations specially designed for this building. Right now an interesting show is going on featuring work from Ghana artist Ibrahim Mahama.

I didn’t know it was Saskia day in the church as well, as on this day at 8:30 in the morning a sunbeam strikes Saskia Uylenburgh’s grave, who was Rembrandt’s first wife and muse. Will try to make it on time next year, no sun visible this year anyway.

6 Likes

I love history and old buildings I love this picture thank you :star_struck:

2 Likes

Georgia O’Keefe

“Pinions With Cedar, 1938
Oil on Canvas
30 by 26 in.”

@Mno , love Oude Kerk and Saskia and the exhibit, thanks for posting the links.
What a beautiful and serene place.

3 Likes

Bought myself some serious -whatever that entails- art today. First time ever. I’m excited! It’s work by Tim Ayres, an Amsterdam based English artist. Haven’t seen him for close to 20 years now, but we used to cycle together, did a bike tour of the French Alps together too. Wanted to buy something from him for a long time, but prices for his work are rather steep. This one is sort of affordable. And the subject is so right for me, right at this moment. As is the one I choose out of 14. Had to see it for real to make my choice. Love the sky/heaven quality of it. In the little movie it’s the third one (the light blue). Will share again when it’s on my wall which will be in a couple of weeks. :heart: The pic doesn’t do it right.

“In this series I gave the ‘e’ at the end of the word, a bouncy hop - ‘a small spring in it’s step’. And a comma, because the sentence involving the word “love” is not finished yet."

6 Likes

Love the color as well!! Great choice!! :heart:

…and the …potential? excitement? anticipation? for what comes next…

2 Likes

Congratulations on your art acquisition @Mno … it is lovely!
To blue skies and love, …
Enjoy.

1 Like
4 Likes

A Hare in the Forest by Hans Hoffmann (c. 1585)

Gemüsestilleben mit Häschen (“Still Life with Rabbits”) by Johann Georg Seitz (c. 1870)

7 Likes

One of my favorite murals in town that I had yet to get a pic of (tough one, on the side of a main road and there was a bunch of construction there until recently).

By Joe Pagac, who is one of the most well-known artists/muralists here. Glad I got the trees for scale, it’s massive.

8 Likes

Mario in Kadikoy

10 Likes

Dutch National Windmill Day! Thank goodness for the windmills and the artists who captured them!

A Windmill on a Polder Waterway, Known as ‘In the Month of July’, Paul Joseph Constantin Gabriël, c. 1889

Windmills near Rotterdam, Johan Barthold Jongkind, 1857

Oostzijdse Mill along the River Gein by Moonlight, Piet Mondriaan, c. 1903

The Windmill at Wijk bij Duurstede, Jacob Isaacksz van Ruisdael, c. 1668 - c. 1670

" Happy National Windmill Day! 🌬️🌷

“Did you know that the Netherlands has over a thousand windmills? This Dutch icon played an important role in our country’s history, helping to pump water and much more, from grinding grain to sawing wood.”
Pics, quoted text and identification from The Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, Netherlands.

5 Likes

Nice to see you @beardson !!
Hope you’re still eating the cakes!
I know Mario. I spent many hours trying to get Mario to do his thing. My goodness I’m glad I grew out of that! Cute to see him on the wall! Thank you again great to see you!

2 Likes

Got my first ever purchase of a piece of contemporary art home! Pictures taken by my phone don’t do it justice for it is not flat and it looks different from every angle and every way the light falls on it. Anyway, I love it.

12 Likes

Thank you Alisa, I always appreciate hearing from you and I hope you are keeping well. Absolutely still eating the cakes, singlehandedly keeping the economy alive here on the south coast.

2 Likes

I can honestly say I’ve never been so moved by an art exhibition, "Van Gogh in Auvers. His final months”. Not much to add to the title except to say it is to celebrate 50 years of the Van Gogh museum, it’s a coop with the Musee d’Orsay and his very best (IMHO) work is gathered for the occasion. Stunning. Emotional. Overwhelming. I’ll be back in a couple of weeks. And again till it finishes in September. In the morning it is surprisingly quiet, especially compared to the permanent collection where the normal throng of visitors is swarming around. If you have the opportunity come (book your tickets well in advance though)!

https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/visit/whats-on/exhibitions/van-gogh-in-auvers-sur-oise

12 Likes

Customised dolls are so beautiful. They have their own specific vibes. :heart::sparkles:

2 Likes

7 Likes

Interesting discussion over here about this statue

3 Likes

Framed Sheilas work

7 Likes

Adding my newest art.
It’s Aquarius (yes! As a zodiac sign) in train. It’s a scene for my concept book as well. :blush:

6 Likes