The Artist’s Way Challenge

A lot of people on in this community have mentioned The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron and I’m currently starting week 1 of the three month course. It’s gotten rave reviews from painters, actors, choreographers, writers, musicians, lawyers, homemakers, doctors, accountants, and anyone who is interesting in living more creatively. It’s a lot of work but I can assure you it’s worth it! Does anyone want to join me? We could be accountability buddies :alien::robot:

The Artist’s Way

13 Likes

I’m in! Just downloaded it this second. X

1 Like

Awesome!!! How do want to check in, do you want to do daily/weekly/bi-monthly/a combination?

Thinking it could be cool to talk about our weekly artist dates, weekly check in, or the writing assignments that we feel like we want to reflect on with other people!

1 Like

It looks great! I’m definitely interested!

2 Likes

So excited! I’m definitely going to stick this out and I’ll continue posting about the journey here regularly and I encourage people to stay tuned and see if they want to join in. This can be moral support thread if anything!

4 Likes

I have read the first chapter and have placed a notebook and pen on my dining table in preparation for the morning pages tomorrow. It’s funny, I was sitting here this evening at a loose end and wondering if I needed to sign up for something new, and then you opened up this thread which is ideal!

7 Likes

Love the preparation. I’ve done the same. Let’s help each other get to the finish line :smiling_face:

3 Likes

What a brain dump today. Just rolled out of bed and just wrote non stop. Feeling better than when I woke up grumpy

3 Likes

I’ve done my three pages and it’s put me on a bit of a high. I also know exactly where I want to go for my first artists date. I’m going to revisit the exhibition I saw with a friend last weekend.
Now I’m going to flick through the rest of the book to get more of an idea what it’s about. And then breakfast.

3 Likes

Great! I’ll be going to a concert in Thursday that my friend composed. Although I’m not sure if it counts as an artist date because I’ll be expected to mingle and socialize after the event. The two directors of an art center in Zurich will be there as well and I plan to butter them up for a pitch I’m preparing….this sounds like work :sob:

Hmmmm yea, that’s not an artist date. I’m trying to wiggle my way out of this so I’m gonna schedule a new one for the weekend. There’s this bookstore I’ve been meaning to check out and it has over 20,000 secondhand books that you can sit and read. I’ll go there on Saturday

4 Likes

Hey, I’m gonna be honest. Today I don’t feel like doing anything. I feel so overwhelmed right now with my fast, the working out, the artist journey, the sobriety, eating healthy. I feel like I’m gonna crash. Taking care of myself is a full time job! I can’t imagine what people who have to care of themselves + other people have to go through! Yikes :grimacing:

5 Likes

Well, for many people, taking care of others is a distraction from the trouble they’re in themselves. In that way it can be the same sort of addictive behaviour we know so well. Take care of yourself -saying that as a reminder to myself too.

5 Likes

Got my morning pages done and actually feeling like making a sculpture for the first time in years. I’m going to visit the art shop at the bottom of my street and maybe buy something but certainly have a good old browse.

3 Likes

I did the morning pages. It went from grudgingly, to laughing out loud while writing, to unearthing something to talk about in therapy next week.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. I gonna do the basic stuff today.

Rest is highly underrated. Listen to your body/mind…it (you) hold(s) all the keys. :heart:

3 Likes

I spent a little time in the art shop and made a point of enjoying the scent of the various materials while I was there. I bought a nib holder and two nibs and a small bottle of ink. The kids went to bed an hour ago and I’ve been working in my sketchbook for the first time in a long time.

5 Likes

That’s lovely, sounds so relaxing! I’m a bit more relaxed myself now. I’m starting up a blog to go on my website. I’ll share when it’s done!

3 Likes

I’ve spent today trying to make a sculpture to represent a feeling that I woke up with yesterday. I had initially assumed it would be made from plaster or clay but then I realised that my most recent experience has been with baking and that I could work with that. So I’ve make a couple of testers whereby I’ve encountered some pitfalls but it’s all learning and growing and all good. This is the surface of one of the pieces straight out of the oven but I’m looking to add paint and colour to it.

4 Likes

Love the way you captured the texture and topography of the baked clay! Excited to see what you come up with.

I’m looking at writing workshops. I’m realizing that I’m burnt out with my chosen profession so I want to readjust

2 Likes