The Dragon's lair

And the stress reduction. Such a huge benefit. I tell my wife that if it weren’t for my martial arts training I just may have well relapsed.

I would imagine being less stressed will help you to quit smoking. It helped me quit dipping tobacco and as of today, I have lost 40lbs since April.

2 Likes

Thank you, I feel blessed in many ways through my journey that all but one in my family has stood with me and my friends are so supportive and caring about my journey too :hugs: it’s helped me and hopefully others following my journey to get it out there, I hope that other members can see what I’ve actively been doing and can take something to help themselves too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am hoping to loose about 20lbs as that’s roughly what I’ve gained since the start of sobriety, nothing too major.

1 Like

It’s amazing how much you missed out on when drinking, just sat on the sofa listening to my boys giggles as my husband reads a bedtime story, I never actually appreciated that before, those little moments come and go so quickly. Hearing my children being thankful for getting a new school bag, for having friends come over, for receiving help when they needed it, they appreciate it so much and I ignored it before, I’m so glad I’m here for it now and I can see their happy faces and hear their happy sounds of laughter :heart:

4 Likes

This is one of my sober buddies, we attend survival skills together on Friday, she lives in a dry house. We are one year apart in age and used to work at the same place and live in the same village but never knew each other then, we were both chefs in our last jobs. We decided to sign up for a cookery course together for a bit of friendly competition. We have each others numbers to text and call.

If you ever worry about the type of people you will meet at AA or SMART or any other groups, you will find that they are just like you, in my case almost a mirror image. Gaining friendship through my recovery has been amazing

4 Likes

Yes! I love this so much, Michelle. It’s so true. The connections I feel with folks in my AA meetings - and some lovely souls. I’ve met on here - are unlike any relationships I’ve ever had. Finding one’s tribe is pretty magical.:heart:

1 Like

I went out last night to a friends house as planned. Have to admit I Was edgey as hell when they started bringing the drinks out, there were so many different ones. All of them were drinking as soon as we got together. I was annoyed initially as I was supposed to have a sober buddy.
The good points about the night, nobody pressured me to drink, two friends only had two drinks and then stopped, I seen how bad drinking makes you act, one of the girls was drinking a bit too much, it irritated the hell out of me, don’t get me wrong I love her but I was definitely the babysitter for the evening…
It opened my eyes watching people drinking, expecially my one drunken friend. She was necking back drinks, being rude and turning the music off and putting her own on, being cheeky. She said that she should be out every weekend having fun :astonished: that her kids are shits (I get she doesn’t hate them) she’s arguing with her husband and her uncle died. She wanted me and another friend to go to a club with her and we told her no, she wanted to go to her mums at 11.30pm I told her no because her husband was sat up waiting for her, she wanted us to lie about how much she had to drink to her husband, I didn’t tell him what she drank but I said sorry but she is pissed.
I knew straight away that if she isn’t careful she will be exactly where I was, it’s Scary that now I can see it coming in others.
I had a back up plan, I didn’t go out without one, at the end of the road of my friends house is a sober buddy who was on call for me. I could leave whenever I wanted, I kept in touch with my husband by text.

Happy to report that I am still 105 days sober

8 Likes

@RedDragon I haven’t read all of your story yet but you’re quite the inspiration having come this far. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thank you :heart: been quite a journey over the last 3 months, best part of going through it all is having a clearer mind and being able to reflect back on what I was like drinking

1 Like

Definitely! Nothing like knowing how bad it can get while reaping the rewards of a sober life! Keep at it

1 Like

Just being reflective right now, I’m on an unusual low, not miserable or depressed but romanticising about wine, what is it like? Why do I want it? I know why it’s because I was around it last night and resisted, I’m glad I did and I know to have a drink would send me down a terrible terrible path, I waited over three months for a social event which had alcohol involved, maybe I should just avoid these situations completely.

2 Likes

My own associations with any alcohol are so negative now, there’s just no interest.

Wine (noun): Grapes smashed by feet then left to rot. Makes me a useless arse when imbibed. :rofl:

I find it helpful to focus on new positives at social outings. It’s still a great opportunity to bond with those around me, and I’m so much more capable of listening and being present there now.

That said, I still find myself politely bowing out if things get carried away. Partly I think out of annoyance, and partly feeling uncomfortable of the mirror, seeing folks in a stupor. Then I just take a pass and go home for tea and early bed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good on you, staying true! :heart:

2 Likes

Trained Monday and Wednesday this week, as some people may know my husband is a drum and bass DJ, called DJ socialoutcast hence the jumper.

Surprised myself going back as I have been so stupidly tired the last few weeks and sleep up to 15 hrs on some days. I have gone for multiple tests and get the results back next week, if it’s all clear I can only assume its my antidepressants

6 Likes

It’s tough to find the right balance. You’re the expert on your life so I’m sure you’ll steer it well

1 Like

I’m so very humbled that I can and have helped people with their recovery, I read a lot of posts on here and aim to reply to as many as I can relate to, if I haven’t spoken to you yet I’m sure we will at some point.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Next time you feel down, remember there’s a reason for why you are appreciated so much. And when you share yourself with us, it helps us all, whether it’s advice, experiences, or the presence of a compassionate human :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can see why people feel you’re such an inspiration! Btw have you ever read or heard of the poem “Our Deepest Fear”?

No I haven’t, can I Google it?

Thanks hun, I’m glad to see you grow through your journey and your persevering is admirable :hugs: