The Dragon's lair

http://www.recoveryhub.co.uk I’ve been learning alot about this today seen as emerging futures work closely with them and even set up a no alcohol pub

1 Like

Day 96, had my survival skills meeting today, I should elaborate on that really, it’s an abstinent group meeting whereby you have to have a good amount of clean time to do it. It always puts me in good stead for the weekend, we talk about how we are feeling, what achievement we have made and praise each others progress and and help with any set backs in sobriety. I’m really enjoying it, I’ve also signed up for a free six weeks cooking course, just for something else to keep me busy and keep my chef skills in check.
We touched base on motivation today and apart from my children being my biggest motivation my desire to learn is up there too now, I’ve always excelled in my jobs when drinking, if I can achieve when I was hungover what are the possibilities that I can achieve sober, that’s been in my head for a few days now and anything is achievable sober, I like to think that I’m a bit of a bright spark :joy:.
Other things I’ve thought about is why the hell do I want to smoke cigarettes for in the winter, I don’t smoke in my house or car because of the kids, so I have to stand outside in the freezing cold and get blasted in the eye from smoke blowing backwards and my eyes end up streaming, definitely not fun :joy:

2 Likes

Not to mention you are going to need excellent wind when you get back into kickboxing. Whenever there’s a first-timer in class, the instructor pairs them with me. A couple times I could tell the new student was a smoker. They’d get winded really quick, hands on knees, gasping for air. Another lady, a brown belt, came back after a long absence. She couldn’t even get through the warm up. Had to shuffle to the side and catch her breath. When I went to my car, I saw her smoking and talking on a cellphone.

So if you decide to quit, there’s another reason to add.

1 Like

That’s very true, I’m expecting to have a difficult few weeks getting back into it, but I love it so it will be worth it :slight_smile: when I was working and training I hardly ever smoked, its picked up through sobriety, still slowly progressing with the healthy lifestyle but I’m getting there, I think if I rushed to try and get everything done in the beginning I would have just set myself up to fall,

2 Likes

Nicotine lozenges was how I quit my 34 year smokeless tobacco habit. You might want to look into those.

1 Like

Definitely, I’ve tried patches before, my husband and I have talked recently about quitting, all we know is that we don’t want to replace it with vaping, did you get any chest infections when you quit?

I really sympathize with you. I’ve not been a smoker, but been close with many of them and so I’ve gotten an idea of how hard it is to quit, and how important it is to quit. I’ve even met two people who don’t seem to enjoy smoking but have told me they do it because they want to die without outright committing suicide.

I am sorry you have to deal with that, and 100% hope you can quit ASAP

1 Like

I will, my family smoke so was acceptable to do it too, heck I was smoking in front of my mum at 15 yrs old, with cancer running through my family and my dad’s COPD (he quit smoking) you’d think that it would motivate me to quit but nope still doing it

Let me correct myself. Because I’ve met a number of people with the same addiction, I have just an absolutely SCARCE idea of how hard it is

1 Like

Don’t worry hun, I knew what you meant :hugs:

1 Like

Nope, but I chewed, never smoked. I tried to cold-turkey…day three my brain locked up. Couldn’t hardly complete a thought. Got the lozenges, followed the included plan to the letter, and really the quit was near painless.

Never knew there was a leaflet to follow, I’ll definitely look into that, thanks Steve :+1:

1 Like

Every step of the way there is always a new situation to face sober, for me right now on 98 days its dealing with anger sober. I’m angry with my younger sister. She is still using her kids as a piece in a chess game :rage:, if you remember from an earlier post after my final relapse she said that I couldn’t see my nephews or go to her house, even though I have never done anything to her or the kids and she never seen me drunk. I would never stop her seeing my kids and she had seen them since the relapse. Since she is now saying that my husband can’t go to her house, he hasn’t done anything and was close with my brother in law, they are now ignoring my husband and not even explained why. Further issues I have with my sister is that she constantly asks my parents to buy her things, my dad is in ill health and has been asking to see her for weeks, she’s going down this month but it’s primarily to pick up her sons birthday stuff not for just to visit the parents and next month she will go back again primarily for the Christmas presents. She is really making me angry, I’ve got a firey temper and I’ve been going through in my head when I see her Wednesday and all I can think about is exploding on her

1 Like

The husband has gone out to try and talk with my brother in law, so he went to the house and my sister wouldn’t answer the door, my brother in law then turned up within minutes and said everything was OK and there was no problem, so my husband asked my sister why he wasn’t allowed to the house and it immediately got defensive.
I’m sat at home with the boys in bed and my anxiety is through the roof. This situation is a trigger for me, I’m not craving a drink yet and I know that I should be phoning my sobriety coach / sponsor, why am I having such a hard time picking up the phone, trying to tell myself that at 9.40pm it’s too late to be calling, I know I’m going to be told they are available day and night. I’m just so panicked about the whole situation going on that I can’t control and feel like I’m to blame for it. Need to breath and remember the serenity prayer.

1 Like

@Yoda-Stevie I finally went back training tonight :fist_right:, yes it killed my chest off, I didn’t have a cigarette for an hour before, damn you slip fast in fitness after a four month break :joy: :joy:
_20181107_194210

3 Likes

Good job. Welcome back to the dojo!

1 Like

Long way back to peak fitness and yes at some point the cigarettes will need to go :joy: but so glad I’ve returned. Feels good that after 102 days sober I can start concentrating on putting good back into my body along with starting mindfulness yesterday and yoga Fridays

2 Likes

Wow. Thank you for sharing that.
I’m 6 days sober and over the last 2 days have been able to talk to my wife openly about where I am.(she knew I drank a lot but I don’t think she realised quite how much)
I’ve also told my Dad.
After each time I have felt better. It’s true what they say I think, getting it out there helps.
Good luck and hope we can all do this and think of the future .

1 Like