The Feb29ers (Feb 29th, March 1st)

We are here for you if you feel tempted.

@AnonymousD did help me so much by asking a seemingly simple question

1 Like

I relate so much to what youā€™ve said. Iā€™m also very sensitive to othersā€™ emotions, on top of being an emotional person, and itā€™s draining sometimes. Especially as a introvert. Numbing has been the objective for me.

The habit thing is so spot on. Iā€™m reading a book by Gretchen Rubin called Better Than Before - mastering the habits of our everyday lives. The habits we build around alcohol need replacement because when we stop there is a hole there. What are we going to fill the hole with? If itā€™s a new habit then we donā€™t have to think about it so much, the thinking is where the craving begins, at least for me I think.

2 Likes

@RosaCanDo
Sounds like a interesting book, Iā€™m gonna check it out.

Now Iā€™m watching Fatal Attraction and try to get some sleep.

1 Like

Hope you get some restful sleep!

I decided to stay awake so maybe I can sleep at night, itā€™s 5:11 pm.

Day 9 will officially end in 45 minutes.

When do you think itā€™s gonna get easier???

1 Like

Thank you very much :heart: that im very happy for :heart:

When i was sober for 40 days. I thought it was beginning to get easier around three weeks. Though i had a relapse after the 40 days so i guess it goes up and down

Iā€™m thinking that if we get some reading and tools and start practicing them it might start to feel easier. Sometimes it really is hard, and maybe will keep coming in waves.

Well itā€™s happened - the cravings and crying over the grief. Itā€™s this damn beautiful day and the prospect of grilling out later. We just bought our supplies and hubby picks up a six pack for while heā€™s grilling. I feel the anxiety on the way home and as we are unloading I just get really irritable and of course project it on to other things, oh Iā€™m just hungry, or, I canā€™t believe she expects me to travel to attend her baby shower (random shit that is happening). Then I realize that, no dammit Iā€™m upset because it will be the first bbq sober and I feel deprived, angry, and nostalgic, all the feels. Wiped my tears and am eating lunch and thinkingā€¦

3 Likes

I get a lot out of my prior words being shown to me at the right time, so hereā€™s one for you from your story;
ā€œI canā€™t, I do not WANT to live my life this way anymore.ā€
Iā€™m just fresh back but have started writing in the morning to re-read when Iā€™m feeling crappy or tempted.
This might be your first real temptation and I get it; but you will feel really great when you move on from it. :sunflower:

3 Likes

Let your tears out, itā€™s so hard, I know

3 Likes

Thank you! That is exactly it right there. What I needed.

1 Like

And if I ever needed confirmation that this was the right decision to change, I certainly got it today. Crying over the damn thing for like an hour. Super emotional response and serious mind racing.

2 Likes

Strong rebound! And insight. Hope the emotions will slow down so you can enjoy the family grill still

2 Likes

I am right where you are. Today, I have no patience for anything. Last night we had friends over and the wife is pregnant. She kept saying how after the baby comes we are going to have a wine and cheese board night. I havenā€™t told her yet about my problems with alcohol and the thought of the ā€œfunā€ I would miss really got me down. Try to remember why you are stopping. What your life looked like a week ago that prompted you to make a change

2 Likes

Who knows. Once someone explained to me about grief from losing a loved one and I think their explanation fits here.

Imagine a box. Thereā€™s a certain button on the inside of the box and a huge ball bouncing around inside the box. When we first stop drinking, that ball keeps hitting the button over and over again. As we get along our journey, the ball starts to get smaller so it hits the button less frequently. As our counters rack up for sober days, the ball gets tr a smaller and smaller, hitting the button less and less. But when it does hit, that craving is no less intense than at first.

1 Like

Hi all! I hope you all are doing well. :heart::heart: much love and thoughts to all of you.

Those who are reading the book, why donā€™t we start Tuesday? I think everyone who responded to me will have it by then. Iā€™m ready to start reading!

1 Like

Quick check in. Long work day, then dinner and cleanup. Outlander started and sleep very soon.

Hope everyone is hanging in and keeping strong. :purple_heart::heart::yellow_heart::blue_heart:

3 Likes

Hey all. Day 3 of the course got really heavy this afternoon and I was overcome by emotions. Not just mine, but also those of other people in the room. My boundaries werent strong enough for the heaviness today. I slipped tonight - had a pint. And I feel super guilty, but also not at the same timeā€¦ if that makes sense. I had it, didnt want anymore and stopped. However, I know thatā€™s playing with fire because of my tendency to binge when emotions are high. Tomorrow is a new day and Iā€™ve learned from this. Will continue moving forward!

1 Like

Good morning ladies!

@SoulSearcher
Thanks for the picture of the ball and the box. Iā€™ll think about it!

Ah and when it comes to the wine and cheese partyā€¦ You could tell people you became overly sensitive to histaminesšŸ˜‰.

Yeah Iā€™m ready for the book when @Sunsw686 gets her copy on Tuesday.

@Journey1

Thanks for your honesty. I really think if you stick with one drink, that thatā€™s not something to be ashamed of.

2 Likes