The online video course from this naked mind is nearly $600. Worth it or no?

The online video course from this makes mind is nearly $600. Worth it or no?

And opens up the wider conversation of should people make significant sums of money from an issue like alcoholism.

I fully appreciate that trained counselors, clinical experts etc that work for non profits should be paid if the role is there full time employment and that if an individual puts a book out about recovery based on there expertise and/or experiences they may make money from it. The book would be accessable to most and could help many.

But a video course for nearly $600 is not accessible to most and it’s hard for me to see the justification in selling access to a series of videos for that price.

Any thoughts and perspectives welcome as I’m trying to decide how I feel about it. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I would just read the book and listen to podcasts, but that is me.

People pay a ton more for rehab and therapy and such, so there is that.

I am sure others will have more salient points and opinions. :grin:

5 Likes

I just googled the 30-day experiment and signed up for free. I’ve been getting videos to watch. I just started today. I did buy her book from Barnes & Noble for $13. I didn’t explore any of the other options. I really like what I’m reading so far and find it very helpful.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve also bought her audio book and signed up to her podcast.

Not tried the 30 day experiment yet though, I’ll check it out :slightly_smiling_face:. I suppose a fee of say $50 dollars to support her work but at that price she must know that some people just can not afford it and a percentage of those people could have changed there lives with those video courses.

1 Like

I always feel doing things on my own is something that I can do or perhaps look at other methods to obtaining the course (maybe on a course app platform)? There’s tons out there that go on sale.

4 Likes

What do you get for $600 :hushed: that seems like so much money! But like @SassyRocks mentioned, rehab/therapy can be expensive as well.

A lot of self help courses I see online are around $300/400. I don’t know why that’s relevant… It just surprises me I guess even at that price it seems like a lot.

1 Like

Think they realise people will pay silly money , not bad for someone about 3 years sober who supposedly writes a book ? i just went to AA meetings got sober put a few shillings in the hat to pay for the hire of the room or hall . i havnt seen a blog or a book were some one is longer sober than me might have missed one ? the more people buy these books the more they exploit people looking for a answer , happy days

9 Likes

Gonna be that guy…

I went to about 30 meetings in 30 days, no cost. I did put some change in the basket. Kept me sober.

8 Likes

No. Rehab costs money because they provide a service. She’s just selling snake oil.

6 Likes

What is snake oil? @Englishd

You get access to 9 videos online.

Being British and the fact that I consider addiction a medical condition in many ways I suppose my outlook is that medical services are a human rite not something you could get if you can afford it!

I appreciate that in other parts of the world medical services function like a business, but for a western/northern European mindset it’s hard to accept the morality of it.

3 Likes

I did rehab last month for 30 days and now IOP for 3 hours 5 days a week for 8 weeks. I got very lucky insurance covered it 100% because we met our deductible. It really does help having back to back group sessions. I will try to get to meetings more when I am done with inpatient care. I wish you luck with the video course but do look into things on YouTube for free.

2 Likes

I agree mostly with what you say but I don’t think someone selling a book about there life is a bad thing or someone writing a book about the tools they used to battle addiction. But there is a line and for me to be charging that type of money to gain access to some videos is hard to swallow. People with addiction are often desperate people who will do anything.

That said, I don’t believe like many AA members do that AA is literally the only answer and that’s why I’ve been exploring other sources of information and tools such as SMART Recovery now I’ve decided to be sober again.

4 Likes

I go straight to the source of knowledge the experts use: research articles!

I read about the strategies they use that are successful and then I research and apply these strategies.

Adding in social interaction with others in recovery is how I am remaining sober without paying a bunch a money to counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists, rehab facilities, clinics, and pharmaceutical companies.

It also helps to have some background knowledge of evidence-based treatment if you seek help from professionals in the recovery field.

3 Likes

Yes and as I stated previously of course professional people working full ye ha e to be paid a wage like anyone else.

BUT! Someone who has had addiction issues who has brought out a top selling book, has a podcast, website and sells video tutorials for $600 a pop is clearly making a very very successful business from addiction. Her book sales alone must mean she is comfortable which is fine but the online courses etc is just making money from misery surely?

2 Likes

She asked for opinions and I gave one. There’s also plenty of anti-AA threads to.

People used to sell snake oil as a cure all for everything even though it was mostly a placebo.

2 Likes

That’s the same path I went! You are well on your way

For $600 she better follow me everywhere I go to smack a drink or drug out my hand. Just because she tells you or helps you get sober, does she also tell you how to have a fulfilling life with out alcohol & how to maintain serenity. AA rooms offer more than just staying sober, they help with life, coping skills. I’ve started going to Celebrate Recovery & I’m really enjoying that. It’s not a replacement for AA in my life but to use in conjunction with. I have 8 years clean & sober and I don’t think I’ve spent $600 on my sobriety. Treatment was free with insurance, I have some books that were about $15-20 each, I put a couple bucks in the basket when I have cash & I’ve bought a couple recovery apps on my phone.

11 Likes

Yes but what if it could help some desperate soul with there recovery and be the difference between life or death to them but they could never afford it as they are financially bottomed out and are struggling to keep a roof over there head.

Thatsy point it’s profit over recovery for Annie Grave.

2 Likes

If you want to save $600 go to SMART. It’s a much better version of what Annie Grace offers

1 Like