The Stupid Polls thread (Part 2)

Yep, I’ve seen this.
@Tragicfarinelli broiling is cooking in an oven under a flame. Its like having a restaurant salamander in your home oven. Good for crisping the tops of things.

7 Likes

It’s when the heat comes from above the food. Often used for toasting, browning, etc.

5 Likes

Grilling! I get you.

Ok what the blimpin is salamandering.

Do you use that word also for like a gecko /lizard?

3 Likes

Broiling is like the opposite of grilling because the food is not touching hot metal grates, its flames blistering the surface from above. But very close in concept. So instead of grill marks, the entire surface gets “flame broiled,” another term used.

4 Likes

Ha! Yep. Salamander is restaurant lingo for one of these

Aaaand can also mean one of these guys

6 Likes

@Tragicfarinelli @RosaCanDo
I may be wrong but I think ‘grilling’ is defined differently in the US to UK. Grilling in America is like BBQing? Grilling in the UK is where the heat source is above the food not touching. Not an open flame but a similar function to broiling - crisping up food X

4 Likes

Yes… Can you imagine us having open flames service instead of the grill plates?? I’m assuming this is done on restaurants and not in home??

It’s like my ninja has functions for BAKE and ROAST. this causes me no end of issues. Like, why.

3 Likes

That’s a fine specimen of salamander

3 Likes

I don’t know… I need to know more on this. I feel there’s a good chance I’d burn the kitchen down 🫨 X

5 Likes

Imagine bacon being BROILED. :expressionless:
it’s already in its own category for fire warning…

4 Likes

I’m hoping someone who knows how to broil might be along soon to explain :laughing: X

3 Likes

@Louloubelle and @Tragicfarinelli
Don’t fear, help is here… well… I googled :smiley:

Broiling is a North American term, not really used or understood elsewhere in the world. It means cooking something directly under a very high heat source (what in the UK would be called grilling.) Originally, the heat source would have been gas elements; now, they may be electric instead.

I like how it says " a North American term, not really used or understood elsewhere in the world". That says it all :rofl::rofl::rofl:
But maybe once, just once I’ll try and order my bacon broiled :thinking:
:squid:

8 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation Squid :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’m going to ask for broiled halloumi one day for sure :rofl: X

5 Likes

I can’t wait to ask for broiled toast

5 Likes

How many pairs of jeans do you currently have in rotation? (Not just own, but actively wear)

• 1 Pair
  • 2 Pairs
  • 3 Pairs
  • 4 Pairs
  • 5 Pairs
  • More than 5 pairs
  • No Pairs

0 voters

2 Likes

How do you make your peanut butter and jelly??

• Higher peanut butter ratio
  • higher jelly ratio
  • 50/50 ratio

0 voters

1 Like

People still wear jeans?!

4 Likes

we don’t do that here :grin::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

You have never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? :open_mouth:

1 Like

nope, never ever :blush:
and I wouldn’t eat it. sweet. not my taste.

5 Likes