The weekends

I was just wondering if drinking every weekend makes you and alcoholic ? I drink almost every weekend usually a 6 pack n share a Micky with my bf or we drink a 2.6 and have a couple singles.

The word alcoholic doesn’t have an exact definition, it varies a lot from person to person.

If you feel that you are losing control of your relationship with alcohol then it is likely time to reassess.

Read around the forum, have a look at other people’s experiences and see if you relate to it.

An older thread with this discussion here, which you might find useful :blush:

It’s a strange word alcoholic… can u have one drink and leave the rest without touching it for another week? I never drank daily but if i open a bottle of wine I drink that whole bottle and more !!! I used to think a alcoholic was the man on the park bench! But it’s the phenomenal craving once u have one u need more even though I hate the taste of alcohol I know if there is a bottle infront of me I’d drink it until there’s none left … I’m definitely a alcoholic!

3 Likes

I feel like iam the same way once I start drinking after like 2 or 3 drinks I don’t wanna stop n just keep going tell I’m done then if it’s early enough want more but usually it’s late n I just go to bed.

3 Likes

In my eyes, if you question if you’re an alcoholic, than that says a lot. someone without issues would not be wondering this. despite this, I can’t say that you are an alcoholic. You are the only one who can tell they’re an alcoholic. This link may help you find out.

3 Likes

I drink once a week and classify myself as an alcoholic. My reasoning is that when I do start drinking I lose all control and generally do not stop until it is no longer an option (run out, bar closes, body shuts down, etc). I made a lot of excuses and made up a lot of rules (no drinking on work nights and things like that) that helped make me feel like I had more control than I did. In the end, 1 drink is all it takes for any given day to go south for me, so I am an alcoholic.

If you drink socially, it is not an actual requirement in your life, does not create relationship (family, friends, coworkers etc) issues, and YOU REMAIN IN CONTROL. I would not consider you an alcoholic.

I think the biggest part to me is some people can have it in their life and enjoy it responsibly…others have to kick it out of their life or it does damage.

2 Likes

I think, as Sian said- Alcoholic is a term that conjours up a negative image. I know for me it was the old guy on a park bench, homeless.

Personally, I went the whole hog and called myself Alcoholic, because I had to stop before I became that man! And because I drank all day everyday!

Over the last year I’ve discovered an app called One Year No Beer.
Alcoholic is not used, it’s just the desire to stop drinking and make a better life for yourself.
And there is really nothing wrong with this is there?
After all, it’s your life. You should live it how you want.
I don’t use the OYNB app, because I used this app and elements of AA and other things.
I’m using it just as a way of showing you that there is more to life than drinking and you don’t have to be an alcoholic to want to stop drinking.

4 Likes

Hi, my names Darren and I’m an alcoholic

I knew that about 4 years ago but I wasn’t bad enough in my head to do anything about it. I’m a year sober now

I’d say if you’re on a sobriety forum asking the question I’d say there is a high probability you are an alcoholic? It’s very progressive so the longer you go the worse it gets

Glad you’re here, stick around :grinning:

3 Likes

So true thnx

Thanks for the feed back definitely helps me figure my stuff out n where to go from here thanks

if you think you have a drink problem then try and stop for a while see how you get on , wish you well

2 Likes