Time to get rid of the weed

After a few weeks of starting my recovery journey, I’ve decided it’s time to give up weed. I’ve noticed more anxiety and tiredness from it. It’s been about 20 years that I’ve been smoking. Last night I gave away the rest of my stash and threw away the paraphernalia. I normally would wake up and start my day with smoking. It’s not doing me any good. I’m not sure how this is going to go, but I’m ready to be clear headed and more focused. Day 1 here we go!

24 Likes

Congrats! You should be very proud of making this decision yourself and it is the right one!

I’m going on 10 days now and I’m just starting to get over some of the withdrawal symptoms that I have been feeling. My usage sounds very close to yours and it was ruining my life in many ways.

You are not alone on here and the best advice I can give is stay active on here and take it one day at a time!

I’m stoked for your because I know the good potential that you are going to unlock ahead.

Here is my story:

6 Likes

Congrats on 10 days! I’m sorry weed has had a negative effect on your marriage. I know it has affected my life in negative ways.

I am afraid of the withdrawals and the cravings. I have my medical marijuana card and it’s so easy to get “medicine”. I’m only 10 minutes from the dispensary. But the thought of the money I’ll be saving is helping. It was how i got through smoking cigarettes back in the day. I want to get debt paid down and take my son on a vacation! F*ck the weed!

I’m here if you need to talk!

5 Likes

I smoked for 35 years each and every day until it did absolutely nothing for me but give me paranoia, amnesia and tiredness. And I still kept going and after I finally quit my alcohol consumption went up and up untill I finally kicked that too. Big congrats on quitting. Know you can do this! Talk about what’s happening to you. Let us and others help. We’re in this together and together we’ll make it through :people_hugging:

8 Likes

I’ve been kinda ansy and annoyed all day… I’ve been able to calm myself down for the most part. I feel lost without my afternoon smoke session. I know i have to stick to this though. It isn’t adding anything good to my life. But damn it’s hard. Hopefully after this week is over I’ll feel much better.

Thank you @Mno and @football05hc87!

4 Likes

I’m tired, anxious, and irritated. I was by the dispensary today, but i didn’t stop in. I was damn proud of myself. I’m still craving it though. Part of me wants to smoke but the other part of me says don’t do it. I keep thinking of the benefits of quitting so i think that’s keeping me in track. But damn it’s hard

6 Likes

It definitely would be hard. You have some great people here (@Mno) that know exactly what you are going through. I hope it gets easier for you sooner rather than later. If you have the $saved feature on the Sober Time side of this app, it may help keep you motivated. Glad you are here.

2 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: i do have the money saving feature on my tracker. It definitely helps. Money can be a great motivator sometimes.

1 Like

Hello @Mno hope you’re doing well. What are some things you did when you had cravings or withdrawl symptoms? I’m on day 3. I drive for a living and my anxiety/irratability are really giving me problems. My patience for other drivers is gone. I’m afraid this feeling won’t go away. I love delivering but i can’t be on the road this way. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you so much. Have a great day!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your decision, keep it strong! I’ve been there too, smoking from morning till I collapse in my bed during night. I thought it was so cool until it wasn’t. Probably lost my wife due to this addiction, and alcohol too. Anyway, stay motivated, eventually one day you will wake up and realize you haven’t thought about weed the day before. It’s a great feeling.
And yes, it’s very hard, but the results are worth the efforts :v:t2:

4 Likes

Thank you so much and congrats to you! It was a hard decision, but like you said it just became uncool. Do you remember about how long it took for you to get past the witdrawls? What did you do to get through it?

1 Like

Very inspiring to read! Good for you!

2 Likes

I’m on my 12th day and it took me about 5 to 7 days.

Some things get easier first like the craving urges subsiding (even just a little), but the hardest part for me was sleep. It took about a full week to start feeling naturally tired and staying asleep all night.

But now that I’m on the other side of that, I feel amazing!

I know melatonin and other sleep aids helped me a little with that, but I have also been embracing how horrible I’ve felt to really remind me the damage I’ve created. Knowing that if I even smoked once again, I would fall back into this trap.

It does get better and knowing that was my biggest motivation!

4 Likes

12 days is awesome! Congratulations keep it up! I’ll keep you in mind as a reminder to not give up🙂

I’ve been really tired and I’m not sure if it’s due to quitting but i don’t have too much trouble sleeping. My only sleep issue is that i wake up an hour or 2 before i need to and toss and turn until it’s time to get up.

Everyone around me keeps telling me to just smoke… nobody gets why i want to quit. It’s frustrating. I know if i do ill be right back in it like you said.

My money tracker on this app is helping me quite a bit. My motivation is to save money, pay off debt and go on a vacation with my son.

I know i will feel better soon, just not soon enough lol. But i know i need to be patient and let the universe do what it does.

3 Likes

To be totally honest when I finally quit smoking weed I was so tired of it -all it did by then was give me paranoia amnesia and anxiety- it came as a relief and a liberation to me. Also I quit smoking tobacco at the same time and that gave me some serious physical withdrawal symptoms.

Now, 7.5 years later, I work as a mental health nurse in a detox facility and I see how hard it can be to quit marijuana. Some intense mind games going on this first week.

Like @football05hc87 Sean just said, it should and will get better after that. Hang in there! Be absolutely totally 100% sure this is the right thing to do for you. You do this out of love for yourself, and thus out of love for everybody else too. Going back just isn’t an option. You don’t do that no more. Never again!

Addiction will try to make you believe that smoking is the solution to how you feel right now. The opposite is true. It’s all in the mind. A few days of endurance for a life of freedom. I’m so glad you’re here. We’re in this together and together we will do this. :people_hugging:

3 Likes

I too struggled with marijuana. It has been 8 months since giving it up. Today also marks 3 years of not drinking. My sponor and I call it my new freedom journey. When i first tried to get sober in 2017 i was completely clean from alcohol and marijuana for a year. In and out of recovery i went and 3 years ago when i surrendered the alcohol i wasn’t using marijuana alcoholicly…until I was. It snuck up on me and i would gonto any length to make itntonthe dispensary. I would change the way I was getting the marijuana into my system with flower or oil or edibles. I recognized i was not living up to my fullest potential and it had been holding me back from so much. It stole a lot of time away from things that really mattered. I worked until it didn’t and i had to get honest and humble myself by letting the cat out of the bag. Everyone’s journey is different and it takes what it takes just don’t stop trying.

4 Likes

Like others said, the first three days are the hardest, then the first week. I had the common withdrawals, sweats, no sleep at all, anxiety, irritability, like panic attacks. After a few weeks it went back to normal.
In my case the psychological effects, needs, were the hardest, and they lasted a long time, like months.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for your help! I’m not giving up because i really want to do this for myself and my son. I know I’ll get through it but it’s harder than i thought it would be. The tiredness is what’s the worst now. I’m not feeling too anxious today so far. I know i have to take it one day at a time and all will be ok

3 Likes

I would do the same rig with how i took it. I used flower, edibles and the oils when i wasn’t getting the effect i wanted anymore. Iv wasted so much time and energy on weed… it’s kinda gross lol

1 Like

Wow I just had to deliver to the dispensary I would go to. Luckily I didn’t have to go in and smell anything lol. Security took the food for me. I’m proud of myself for not going in and getting anything!

3 Likes