To the newbies

I have learned that it takes a community to get sober…and just me to be a drunk.

5 Likes

So true!!! So happy I found this community and get to be a part of it with you and all these other amazing people. :heart: It has certainly helped keep me sober.

2 Likes

I am not doing well as far as knowing how to get someone I can talk to on this site. I guess on this site you don’t have numerous counselors to check on your progress. I guess I feel alone in my journey right now. I know i am whining so sorry!!

1 Like

I came here daily, multiple times each day. Participated on a lot of threads, made a lot of threads as well. Doing that helped me get connected to a lot of people on here, many i call friends now.

Get active here, it will help

4 Likes

None of us are on here as “counselors” We are just a bunch of recovering alcoholics and addicts trying to help each other out.

4 Likes

Hey there. There are a few threads that helped me get started here, both to join in on and to read and gain some insight from. One is the daily check in thread. If you post there saying you’re struggling and need support you will definitely get some folks talking to you. If you read some or all of the thread and check in daily or often, even when you’re struggling, you’ll start getting the hang of things and get to know people, and vice versa. Here are some links to get you started. Glad you’re here looking for support.

Checking In Daily

Resources For Recovery

Advice For The Newcomer

6 Likes

Appreciate your suggestions!! :tulip::tulip:

1 Like

Another helpful link, this one on handling celebrations early in sobriety.

1 Like

Thank you! I am going to come back to this thread when I’m struggling!

Day 8 AF for me, but I’ve been lurking on here for. A While now. Lots of ups and downs and attempt after attempt. But I am determined this time, more so than ever before.

Now that I have spoken the words out loud “I have a drinking problem” I have been able to finally admit that I am an alcoholic. A weight has been lifted off of my shoulders!

So again thank you for this thread. I believe it will help many of us.

:star2::sunny::star2::sunny:

7 Likes

I still remember the day i was able to say that. It felt like freedom

2 Likes

It honestly really does feel like freedom.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing that! I am 10 days in and an emotional wreck.
I have been trying for 4 years to get sober. have had stretches of 30 days but Jack always calls again.
I have so many life goals and i want this to be my winning try.

5 Likes

I’m an absolutely useless guy, who’s drank like a fish for years. I’m around 47 days sober (so a total novice still), but…if I can do it, you can totally smash this. Just stick with it. The cravings start passing after a while. X

4 Likes

Hey all, checking in on day 1213. I hope everybody has a good one!

3 Likes

This is such a wonderful and inspiring post. I just joined today, am wanting to live a sober life and no clue how to start really. My problem is my “rituals” with alcohol. Cooking dinner, going to dinner, reading a book outside, going on vacation, I do it all with wine. But it’s out of hand and control. I look forward to engaging with others on this forum.

5 Likes

Welcome everyone. I get the rituals part of it.

I love that you say “rituals”, as I feel the same way. It’s tough to convince that part of your brain to not want that glass of wine while doing what you would normally do.
I SO get that!
Thanks for your post lady, it helped me see and put a name to it.
Whooshing you tons of success on your journey … you got this! :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Thanks so much- I’m just learning how to navigate this site but would love to ask others what they do. I cook for hours on Sunday’s with wine and my jazz and I’m not sure how to go about those times. Or just not cook! Don’t believe that’s an option. And I love going to Las Vegas but I loved getting up at 7 am and play slots all day with the booze. I know it’s attainable, these are just my concerns. I ordered CBD oil to help with cravings and plan to attend an AA meeting. And I’m reading sobriety books. I want this for my health!

2 Likes

Welcome to TS.
For me it got out of hand and I now describe it more like an automatism I couldn’t interrupt. It was impossible. Like every morning I swore I wouldn’t drink that night that last night was the last time but this determination left me by the afternoon. I am grateful I could find the exit. And I never want to go back.

1 Like

Thanks so much- I’m just learning how to navigate this site but would love to ask others what they do. I cook for hours on Sunday’s with wine and my jazz and I’m not sure how to go about those times. Or just not cook! Don’t believe that’s an option. And I love going to Las Vegas but I loved getting up at 7 am and play slots all day with the booze. I know it’s attainable, these are just my concerns. I ordered CBD oil to help with cravings and plan to attend an AA meeting. And I’m reading sobriety books. I want this for my health!

1 Like