Truth and Tough Love #3

f1a5ed6faa0b9463f50c2463b79a6f73

6 Likes

I didn’t learn anything during my 2 relapses that I hadn’t already been told by a dozen people. Just because I didn’t listen doesn’t mean I didn’t know. “Learning” from a relapse is nothing more than a cop out. Not listening is a willful choice, not lack of knowledge.

There’s nothing to be learned from a relapse. Point. Blank. Period.

5 Likes

For me it’s been for my health. I don’t have kids but I also didn’t want to be a drunk father if I did have any because I wouldn’t want to set them up for failure.

2 Likes

Most returns to addiction are self-fulfilling prophecies. All of mine certainly were. Not being confronted with that truth, I was able to build up my layers of denial.

8 Likes

The more I blamed external forces for my drinking and drugging the less I took any responsibility for the problems in my life.

10 Likes

Saw an interesting post on people from rehab. Rather than derail another thread I’m gonna put my thoughts here.

Most of the people I went to my first rehab with are dead. Same with my second. I scroll through my friends on Facebook and can’t count on 2 hands how many are dead. Quite a few others seem to be well on their way.

Most of them don’t get debate whether or not they keep their sober days after a relapse. They didn’t even get to keep breathing. I’m sure they, and what was left of the people that loved them, would really love the chance to start that clock over at zero days.

14 Likes

Wow …powerful… brutal honesty and truth

2 Likes

I sat in a meeting on Friday with someone who I went to rehab with and she was coming off a psychotic bender and it was her first time back in the rooms for a while.
I sometimes feel shocked that I’m still sober when many others have gone back to their old ways but also remember I changed everything and they haven’t. I also haven’t left thinking I’m ok (even if sometimes I think about it)
It was a great reminder that rehab is not a fix all and I am so grateful to be here sober and breathing.

10 Likes

A few weeks back I had to have a meeting with HR regarding some feedback from my staff. Needless to say that if you are meeting with HR the feedback isn’t good and this instance was no different.

To be honest I did not agree with the feedback at all. In fact I still don’t. I could have gotten defensive, made excuses, or shifted blame. That’s pretty natural for someone to do in that moment. But I didn’t, because if different people are giving similar feedback there’s probably some truth to it, whether I believe it or not. So I took the feedback, owned my shit, and made some changes. And those changes have yielded positive results in my department.

This is not so different from my first attempt at sobriety where I had multiple people tell me I wasn’t doing enough. Except back then I didn’t take the feedback. Instead I got defensive and acted like a victim because how dare them.

Turns out I should have taken the feedback because I relapsed not long after. Luckily in my sobriety I have learned to take accountability, even when I don’t think I’ve done anything wrong, and as a result the outcomes in my life are much better.

18 Likes

That’s such an important lesson to learn for us all. Not accepting feedback is almost like a reflex that defaults to these

I could add hiding behind humour. “Oh, I was only joking.”

5 Likes

That’s a total defense mechanism. Mine is drawing in on myself. Going recluse and shutting down. It’s not a healthy way of accepting responsibility and it’s a terrible way to communicate.

3 Likes

It took someone calling me out for me to even recognize that I do this sometimes. I’m just happy someone cares enough to call me on my shit and not co-signing my bullshit.

Sometimes the only way we can grow is when other people identify our blind spots. If we could identify them ourselves then they wouldn’t be blind spots.

8 Likes

That’s the core principle of psychoanalysis: becoming incrementally more aware of what we continue to hide from ourselves via the reflection of a carefully observing other. It’s uncomfortable and it takes a long time, but the change it’ll bring is fundamental and lasting.

7 Likes

About a month or so before I went to rehab for the last time I got thrown out of my parents house because my dad found all of my gear (syringes, cooker, cottons, etc). This was a hugely paradoxical moment for me.

First, because I was given the option of staying there and detoxing or being dropped off in the city with the last 200 dollars to my name. I instantly picked being homeless and using my last few dollars to get high. It was pretty clear I was nowhere near done.

However, despite that, this is also the day my recovery started. It was this day where I actually took responsibility for my actions. I did not blame anyone but myself for my decisions. When my dad found everything he wanted to literally go find my dealer and kick his ass. He wanted to blame my friends I used with. Even tried to blame himself. But I wouldn’t let him do any of those things. None of those people were to blame for my addiction.

A drug dealer never got me high, only I could do that. Peer pressure stops being an excuse to act out in 7th grade. And everyone has childhood trauma, most of whom don’t grow up to use drugs.

And in that moment of choosing homelessness I knew that moving forward I was completely responsible for my own destiny. It took about a month before I used that realization to see that my recovery was also completely my responsibility. And from there I was on my way to actually finding recovery.

26 Likes

While I was in my first rehab my girlfriend at the time went to my house and threw away all my pipes/bongs/shot glasses/straws, etc. I was super pissed.

Pretty obvious I wasn’t done yet because a sober person doesn’t need any of that shit

14 Likes

I put all of my wine glasses in the cellar at that time. It felt strange and yet I thought what do I need it for? I later gave all of them to my mother. She was in disbelief. If it was really necessary. Fuck yeah, it was necessary and if someone wants to have a glass of wine they can also drink it out of another glass. Maybe a detail but it was for me another door to close.

9 Likes

I still have my collection of shot glasses on display. I won’t give them away because some were gifts from people and came from other countries but I have thought about boxing them up. Not the same as pipes and bongs though

5 Likes

I was talking to my partner today about a person she knows who has been asking a lot about my recovery. If you’re not aware I am incredibly public in real life about my sobriety in hopes of this exact moment. The person is struggling mightily with their alcohol use. They attempted a home detox and lasted less than a day (which is normal).

So this person is interested in hearing more about me and getting some help. Like normal my response was “of course, give him my number”.

Well he declined to reach out because he thought I was already judging him for not reaching out to him first. Also he’s very turned off by my AA approach because of its “low success rate”.

This is a classic example of him expecting me to put more effort into my sobriety than he is willing to do.

He probably has a lot of pain and misery in store for his near future. Hopefully he finds that gift of desperation that so many of us have needed to get sober.

18 Likes

IDK, I know that the dude isn’t quite serious about his recovery yet, but maybe throw him a bone. Give him a lifeline and let him decide what he does with it after that.

1 Like

I made myself available for whenever he is ready. Not much else I can do.

4 Likes