Truth and tough love

No pain no gain works in so many fields of life. Pain = uncomfortable, numb, bored, have to work to reach something

I know this may sound questionable, but i think there are whole generations of people who cant stand being uncomfortable or disappointed.

Not getting your frequent dose of immediate ease/pleasure in whatever form is hard. That is part of my addiction too. People shouldnt suffer, but they should be so much modest about life. Me too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think that is the case with my daughter. Now she has anxiety and ADHD so perhaps that is part of her issue too but she cannot stand discomfort of any kind. Vaccine shots send her into a tizzy, tv shows that aren’t strictly comedy, eating foods that aren’t her favourite… It’s so frustrating. I tell her she can’t live life with ONLY things that make her happy and comfortable, she needs to allow for some pain and sadness too. But she’s 12. It’s hard for her.

2 Likes

Im definitely not an expert, but what i know adhd is a brain problem and more challenging. I have a daughter of the same age than yours :heart: and we have an everyday battle of watching too much smartphone, not going outside for fresh air& exercise, not doing her homework etc
At that age they have their own will, but are not ready to decide whats good for them. Parenting is tough work sometimes, especially when youre trying to grow up yourself! :grin:
Adhd children need maybe more grounding activities and loving limits than other children…
I wish you and her all the strength on your mutual path.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree.

And instant gratification is a scourge to us all

7 Likes

They’ve never had to feel it that’s why.
"Can’t do individual sports at school because little Johnny might be upset if he doesn’t win":grin:

6 Likes

Participation ribbons and such. I like including everyone, however rarely does anythint fall into a persons lap.

How does a person get to be the best piano player? Lots of practice and pushing themselves.

How does a person hit a 98 mph fastball that cuts like a hot knife through butter? Lots of practice and pushing themselves.

How does a person become the best muralist in the city? Lots of practice and pushing themselves.

How does a person become sober, happy, joyous and free? Lots of practice and pushing themselves.

Getting comfy in the uncomfortable is how the growth happens.

12 Likes

Definitely!

3 Likes

Had to encapsulate this

9 Likes

You can only get better at things you actively do, if you stay where you’re comfy you’ll never be any good at anything but that.

I was hella comfortable being a miserable drunk, risking my life and the life of others and living in financial ruin. Took a bunch of work but I’ve righted the ship, went headlong into the eye of the storm and now I’m through the worst of it. Next step is financial independence, and it won’t be easy, but nothing worth having is.

4 Likes

God i still cant get over the fact they have graduations for every grade now. I remember graduating one time… So now on your resume for highest education recieved you can say i graduated the 6th grade?:thinking: lol

3 Likes

Great one!!

I know I’m struggling with the whole “comfort zone” thing. I still don’t want to do it but so far every time i have pushed myself I have only experienced the exact opposite to what I feared.

5 Likes

As a parent… it does get tiresome :joy::rofl::joy: so many.

1 Like

@CaptAZ sounds to me like your killing it per usual my friend! Since taking on this journey I have never allowed myself to be comfortable. I tested myself in the most dangerous ways possible just to ensure my mindset was where I needed it to be. Moreover, righting the ship is usually the scariest yet most rewarding part!
Are you looking into investing after you get fiscally stable again?

@VSue pushing onesself is the only way to know what one is made of. I can’t imagine where I would be if I hadn’t came across David Goggins

I don’t know…I had grade 6, 8, high school and university graduations.

Grade 6 included an afternoon dance in the gym. Grade 8 had a dinner and dance at the sports complex hall (not fancy at all). They didn’t have diplomas or anything but nice ceremonies with speeches to wish us well on the future. Basically we “graduated” every time we were leaving one school for another.

I don’t think that’s so bad.

BUT not having winners or keeping score or failing tests etc is silly. Kids do need to know that skill and drive matter. And it gets them to decide if pursuing that activity is important enough for them. They can then focus on finding an activity that is important for them.

4 Likes

I think there is something terribly wrong in this world of people getting upset of everything (mainly 1st world problems) and loosing their relativity (i dont know if its the right word) as regards politically correct. It is the ultimate opposition for being hateful, racist whatsoever which ofcourse are also bad things.

2 Likes

People get in thier feels feeling for these people and are mainly fair weather players. One week they support killing a 9month old infant then yelling double homicide when a pregnant woman is shot. People need to step back and be more open to thier surroundings and listen to the otherside talk. Instead they just instantly shut them down n belittle them.

5 Likes

Yes, and what about good old common sense and conscience?

Edit ive been thinking about this (really i have some brain fuction left) and came to conclusion that one should always try to respect otherones opinion no matter how much it differs from.ones own (except for the whiners :laughing:). That is tough, and i know world is full of shit i cant accept.

2 Likes

Ive been in search for that half all my life …

On my way too :wink:

Sometimes people need to take a good look at themselves before judging others. Jumping on this bandwagon or that bandwagon just because the daily comic ( see red top papers like the sun in the UK) tells them which one to get on!

2 Likes