Truth and tough love

Hahahahaha! So true. :flushed::unamused:

1 Like

My sponsor always sends me that shit lol

2 Likes

I didn’t want to pray. Prayer was for hypocritical, boring, Christians. I didn’t want to be like them. I didn’t want to necessarily be a Christian. Or start going to Church with bake sales & bingo. I didn’t know God, I did my best to fly under his radar during my drinking days. And if he did exist, he certainly wasn’t looking out for me…

But, 8 hours into what would become my first day of long-term sobriety. I said my first shaky prayer…because there was nothing left to try.

I went into the bathroom. Closed the door. Got down on my knees. And talked to this guy. I told him I was hurting, scared & ashamed. I told him I made a mess of my life, I was a miserable excuse of a woman & I couldn’t do it anymore. I asked for his help. I told him I needed him, I wanted to know him & feel him. I was on my knees for :22 min. I poured my heart out. I literally bowed before him. And then I did the impossible… I believed he could hear me… And then I thought, if he could hear me, I believed he would help me… since the day I let him take charge… I’ve stayed sober.

You’ve got nothing left to lose…

20 Likes

Same, except I cried and begged God to help me. Literally begged on my hands and knees while crying like a baby. I was 30 days sober and an hour out of rehab and I thought I was going to drink. I didn’t know what God I was praying to. I don’t think it really mattered either. I wasn’t a real big God person before that. But I got over myself and prayed like my life depended on it because it did.

I’ll never understand people who can hate a God they don’t believe in. I see it here all the time. Seriously, is your ego so important that you would rather stay sick than pray? Your concept of God can be whatever you want it to be. You can even call Him anti-God if it helps your delicate little ego. You can pray to the devil if it helps keep you sober. But to put all your eggs in the self-will basket is going to screw you over big time.

10 Likes

Thats awesome! I can also say that any amount of sobriety ive ever achieved has been because of my faith in God. Without Him, i would likely be in the thick of it still. Who knows where it could have led me.

5 Likes

Newsflash:

No one here can help you unless you are willing to help yourself. I see a lot of people come here, lay it all out, then either disappear or shoot down everyone’s suggestion. Then a month later they are back with some woe-is-me relapse tale. Then act all surprised that it happened. Not sure what you expected…

13 Likes

If you keep believing your gonna relapse … You probably are. As your already excusing it b4 it happens… Mindset and perception means everything!

7 Likes

It’s frustrating I know, but we’ve all been in that shitty place, I just hope they find their way.

I ignored everyone’s suggestions for a long time, they were FOS as far as I was concerned and didn’t realise how bad I really was getting until my extreme blackouts and seizure towards the end, even then I still drank for another couple of days which is insanity at it’s best.

I realised after the seizure I was killing myself and death, long lasting permanent damage or jail were all very realistic possibilities for me, I begged God for a chance and he/she gave me one thankfully. I am so grateful for that.

13 Likes

If your partner tells you they love you, then cause problems with you getting sober or mess with your sobriety, guess what?

You need to make big decisions

7 Likes

This is fantastic

1 Like

[quote=“Englishd, post:1019, topic:48167”]
Seriously, is your ego so important that you would rather stay sick than pray?

There’s a line in Paradise Lost. Satan and his minions have been cast down from Heaven. Instead of lamenting the punishment for rebellion, Satan justifies himself: “Tis better to rule in hell, than to serve in heaven”.

Some people cling to the illusion of self-control that is one of the lies of addiction. They’d rather stay addicted than surrender to an HP.

What they don’t realize is they are ruled by their addiction. They can’t accept the dichotomy of gaining freedom by surrendering to an HP.

16 Likes

The root of Pride is enmity. Enmity against man and enmity against God. It’s pitting your will against God’s.

Unwillingness to submit and humble yourself. Unwillingness to be meek and teachable. Thats pride.

4 Likes

Anything other then natural sleep is gonna cause issues. Medication effects sleep alot. Its just what other active addict coping recommendations and they do it. Antihistamines can help some while detoxing but dont continue use. It does have dependancy properties.

3 Likes

Yeah id hope they understand that taken at high doses for a long time builds a tolerance. You will need more n more just like an opiate tolerance. Just because its OTC does not mean it doesnt have side effects when used long term as its NOT intended for…maybe reading the box or bottle … They think its harmless but they will feel silly when they have withdrawls from it…its not a alcohol or opiate wd but it does have a mild wd and causes dimentia memory loss after long term use. You might as well huff some lysol with it…:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I remember as a KID knowing that you didn’t take cold medicine unless you really had a cold because it might not work properly when you did need it. Okay, so as a kid I was not going to take it so often and so much as to build up a tolerance but it was drilled into me that you only take medicine as intended and as directed.

2 Likes

So I thought I would get some truth here and I gotta share, I have been badgered by a guy( I was seeing for a couple of years) since Monday about going out this Saturday to a club to see a band a place I know, I texted it doesn’t feel right and not sure about going out, made loads of excuses and he made me feel like I have a fear of going out, and that I am a misery and that I am depressed, it’s made me feel quite shit this week and I have been a bit moody at work and a little tetchy at times with my kids because I am unsure in my mind… I know that I am right keeping myself safe and even tho I would love to dance I just feel its not quite the right time and he got in contact because ‘I am not in a relationship with alcohol now’ ( I was a bit a spiteful drunk at times by text and avoided him a lot when I was drinking which resulted in us not seeing each other for 4 months) so I haven’t seen him, and I am blowing him out. I am happy with my decision to not go out but I have also avoided going out with him when he was giving another option (which he did offer) like cinema… Because I also don’t want loads of emotions coming up when I am still on bambi legs… Which led to a slam of the phone down… :expressionless::expressionless::flushed:… Just want to stay in, in my routine, work, home, kids for now. And just angry a little that I have been called depressed and a misery… But also know I have quite a few amends to make there somehow too! Wow. Hope its not confusing like I am!

6 Likes

You owe him nothing. And you deserve better than someone that makes you feel bad, uncomfortable, or guilty. Trust your gut :two_hearts::bird:

7 Likes

Man that was a super quick reply, thanks so much! :pray::rainbow:

2 Likes

Sounds like a guy that doesn’t want to take no for an answer, and that’s definitely the type of guy to aviod right now. Good for you on sticking with your guns!

2 Likes

Can it not just be that there are people here, like me, who do not have a God shaped hole in them?

It doesn’t matter what manifestation this ‘God’ takes, I don’t hate it, i just simply don’t believe in it.