Truth and tough love

That’s fine, but there’s some people that are all “fuck God, yadda yadda yadda” and then “God’s not real!!” It’s very confusing. Like he’s either real and you hate him or he’s not real and you have no feelings. I can understand being against religion, but God is not religion.

5 Likes

Don’t let him get to you. As has been said, you owe him nothing. And the way he reacted…!! You are you and nobody has the right to make you feel otherwise. :grinning: Keep smiling.

3 Likes

I like what [quote=“SinceIAwoke, post:295, topic:48167”]
My higher power is not an external being, certainly not the paternalistic, misogynistic, vengeful, unknowable magician of my youth.

My higher power is my true self, and it is the energy that flows through me and between us and connects all matter together. It is the community. It is the feeling of assurance and equanimity that is now deep rooted in me.
[/quote]

I like this… :top:

5 Likes

Thank you for replying :rainbow:

:grinning:
Well, I know I put my wife through crap like that when we first met. Get narky if she said no to going out, or not doing what I wanted. I had my own issues at the time and she had nothing to do with them.

1 Like

Well rest assured you made the right choice. Don’t let him freeload off the space in your head for free.

2 Likes

I think you might be thinking too singularly in terms of God being God in the traditional definition were all familiar with based on religion. Just the little bit i know about you id be willing to say in you case music is the “God” of your understanding and that Les Paul is the vessel through which “he” speaks. I had a very similar outlook when i first started AA being a lapsed christian and seeing the word God in so many of the steps. The way it was explained to me as i was balking about it is that God is what gets you through your day and gives you a reason to keep going from one day to the next. Until our sobriety date Alcohol and whatever drugs we were on were fulfilling that role for us, post sobriety its up to us to determine what it is, you can have more than one and it doesnt have to be any of the ones predefined by any religion.

8 Likes

Josh, are you secretly like 80yrs old… and just look super young?? :smile: So wise & well spoken :hugs:

5 Likes

The last part came str8 from my sponsor lol, he isnt 80, closer to 65 but dude has seen some ish from what i know about him

4 Likes

Thats why I used the term ‘God shaped Hole’. Its me controlling what sounds come out of the Les Paul. I hear you, totally but ‘God’, whether it be religiously defined or any other which way, I don’t believe in. I hold my self completely accountable for my own actions. I’ve said before, I would love to have the same comfort that people get from whatever it is they fill their God shaped hole with but for me, I can’t subscribe to it.

But your thoughts are interesting to read :slight_smile:

2 Likes

God can also be a god within yourself. That you live your life thru this god. You pray to him as a father not asking for materialistic things but to keep you content , confident , perservere through tasks and strong everyday. Some may think that things that happen could be a coincidence of life or a answered prayer. To me it doesnt matter if its either. What ever god you believe in is on you… If its working for you then dont fix it… We all have different perspectives of god. As you see we dont debate or criticize ones beliefs to be greater then another persons beliefs.

4 Likes

I like to think that if someone has found their god or their faith, they would not need to try to tear down, insult or judge those who don’t subscribe to their god or their concept of god. Be at peace with what you have found as solace and let your faith comfort and support you. The turn-off for me is when one’s faith or religion or god is used as a weapon to divide or to judge or to belittle others who don’t share the same beliefs.

9 Likes

Tästä saadaan vielä joskus hyvä keskustelu aikaan. Tsekkaa muuten huviksesi taivaannaula fb stä

I have a bit similar thoughts. That “god”, hp or whatever force it is, is in us. The part we cannot actively control but are able to connect f exp by meditation, meditative actions like hiking through forest or prayer etc
For me, nature is my church and the holiest place where im connected to my “god”
Religions then. What @Mephistopheles said about their bloody history is sad & true. Yet another way to control and oppress people in the name of this and that god. But then they do some important charity work, also here in Finland, helping the poorest and paperless. That kind of a church i respect, although not a member of it.

2 Likes

Moving on from God (though it is the easiest way to get people all riled up) let’s talk personal responsibility, or lack thereof. If some people worked as a hard at recovery as they do at blaming others they’d be sober AF

13 Likes

We had two people are my home group relapse and come back recently. They both joked about it like its no big deal… That did not last long bc for a lot of us to relapse is to die

4 Likes

I have, and I don’t. Happy to answer questions. Refuse to get into a debate.

I do pray for those who don’t believe. It’s what I pray for that matters. I pray that the God I know shows up on their lives in a way that is undeniable and life-changing, for I know that this mostly happens when we are down to “nothing”.

2 Likes

I submit myself as a humble hypocrite with respect to prayer. I’ve long considered myself agnostic, but not dogmatic about it. I believe that atheism is as thoroughly grounded in ‘faith’ as belief in god. We can neither prove nor disprove a higher power, in my humble opinion, which is why I’m agnostic. So best to not judge lest ye be judged. We can prove that prayer works in a number of healing ways, science teaches us that, and I believe it’s similar to meditation in that regard. I deeply respect and can learn from people of all faiths and I hold no contempt toward any. Though I do not actively practice religion, I do find myself often contemplating the “no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole” adage. Family member stricken with cancer - better pray. Airplane in extreme turbulence- better pray. Natural disaster approaching - better pray. There is something deep in the human psyche that causes prayer in times of death and calamity, it’s undeniable. As agent Mulder said on X-files…I want to believe.

13 Likes

Sorry Dereck, didn’t see that we were moving on from this topic :slight_smile:

Lol. I liked it

2 Likes