Truth and tough love

“Anything you put in front of your recovery you’re going to lose”

I just wrote this down. Thank your for that.

This is way less dramatic, but still true…

When I was in IOP another woman came in who drove over 2 hours to make it. 3 times a week. She had the same attendance requirements we all had. I never missed a group after that.

4 Likes

I walked to my outpatient. 3 miles in the dead of Syracuse winter 4x a week. That was by choice though :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

It reminds me of a talk by Kip C - https://youtu.be/W_EBujROSeM

He was a real hopeless case and I struggled to relate to his tale of woe, and then it becomes an absolute miracle and I was riveted. The things he went through in sobriety are absolutely astonishing. One of them was after reconciling a relationship with his son (previously destroyed by his drinking) his son later dies in his arms. Within the hour, he was getting a call from someone saying they needed help. Kip said “my son just died in my arms…” The other guy said “Gee, I’m really sorry to hear that Kip, but I really need help.” Kip describes how he knew the guy was right. His son was gone and there was nothing he could do for him. But this guy needed help right here and right now. And he remembered his primary purpose.
:sob::sob::hearts:
It gives me shivers just thinking about it.

6 Likes

Admitting you are powerless over your DOC is probably one of the harder things to grasp in recovery. However, it’s probably one of the most beneficial things to your recovery. Admitting that you cannot drink and drug safely is the first step. Admitting that once the substance enters your system all bets are off really helps someone realize they need it help. It makes it easier to avoid that first one, because you don’t know where it will take you.

Buuuuut if you still think you have power over drugs and alcohol I would suggest that you go out and try some controlled drinking. See if you have just 2 beers a day 3 days a week, see if you can just take one hit of crack per night. Do these things for a month and see how it goes. If you have mastered moderation, then perhaps you are not alcoholic. If however, you find that you cannot do these things please come back and let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

Me too man.

1 Like

Spirituality alert:

So you don’t believe in (insert higher power)? Ok, so what’s stopping you from starting to believe now? Are really that set in your ways that you absolutely refuse that something might exist? I call my higher power God. I acknowledge that my higher power has helped me achieve what I could not do on my own, which is get sober? Unless you think I’m a liar, by acknowledging that I have indeed gotten sober, then you are acknowledging the existence of my higher power.

My God accepts all who seems him. No questions asked. Now that we have acknowledged this, what, might I ask, is really preventing you from seeking a higher power?

1 Like

iselfme

4 Likes

What do you mean @Eke. He is my higher power!:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

If the spirit of Han Solo can help you stay sober I am all for it!

4 Likes

I’m an incredibly rational and logical person yet I keep doing things that are irrational and illogical! Don’t worry, I got this.

My sponsor once told me “don’t believe everything you think”. He didn’t have to tell me again.

4 Likes

There is no grey area with sobriety. You are sober or you are not. If you are drinking “every now and then” you aren’t sober. You are just abstaining between drinks.

3 Likes

10 Likes

6 Likes

Applies in life and coffee. How are you today my friend?

1 Like

Thanks for the comm-check. I am well. Day started at my usual 0400, morning workout in the Brojo. Next calls and texts from colleagues saying they were sad I was gone, and then later more from many of these same people that they themselves were let go. To say that my organization was decimated would be an incorrect. Decimation is 1 out of every 10 gone. This is 1 out of every 10 spared.

As I said yesterday, as soon as my boss was let go, I was planning to leave. The layoff with severance just made it possible to job search full-time. I did some yardwork, let a few folks know I am on the market. Am eating dinner and then have to help my daughter with a school project.

Life brother. It ain’t all rainbows and unicorn farts, but I have damn little to complain about, and absolutely nothing to drink over.

19 Likes

Anyone who says they know the meaning of life is either deluded or they want something from you.

I know the meaning of my life. I just don’t know the meaning of anyone else’s. Mine is to get better at getting better each and every day. Better today than I was yesterday, and tomorrow better still.

6 Likes

I completely disagree with this. Saying that I’m deluded seems like a cynical and narrow viewed statement. I fully believe that i know the meaning of life. It gives me great purpose and I feel that anyone who knows as I do will find purpose as well.

You do not have to agree with me though.

3 Likes

Finding meaning in ones own life is wonderful. I just dont believe there is single true meaning for everyone. I dont trust anyone who says they know it and own it, and if I dont believe their meaning then my life is bad and wrong and Im an evil person.

1 Like