Truth and tough love

It took me 22 years to get it. I tried everything, so I thought. I will always consider myself to be “one of those” who constantly relapse…because, honestly, that is what I was…and I am 1 drink away from being back there.

7 Likes

Don’t need to mute it I’m entitled to reply , please feel free to mute me sir

1 Like

Why would I mute you? I have no issues with what you share. I will say that if something here struck a chord with you then maybe it’s something you needed to hear. Sometimes the things we need to hear are not what we want to hear. I’ve been in your shoes before where I couldn’t stop drinking and using so I understand where you are at. I blamed everything from my job, to my family, to my relationships for my continued use. In the end it was all me. You, too, can stop anytime and live happy, joyous and free. If you still need to figure some stuff out I can relate to that too. Took me two years and a lot of tried until I got sober. I wouldn’t wish those two years on anyone. Hopefully you don’t have to go the same route as me.

4 Likes

Exactly I have no problem with tough love if it is not contradictory. That’ was simply my point. Don’t demand others see things you’ve seen quicker than you did and I actually wasn’t referring to myself but that’s ok. I’ll stick around on this thread if it’s all the same. Tough love can have many different guises but thank you for your insights

1 Like

The point of this thread is to repeat all the hard lessons I learned in hopes that someone sees it and goes “I don’t want up like that mess of a human being (me)”

2 Likes

Absolutely

I understand that. I’m not great at communicating my feelings with my wife. I’m not sure there was any psychological scarring that led me to it though.

It’s like what I’ve heard before. Take what you need and leave what you don’t. Everything said is not for everyone, just the one or two that really needs to hear that. If you know what I mean…

13 Likes

You sound like my soon to be ex husband. He had a very demanding and somewhat violent father. And I think communication is everything…

Not quite sure how to take that…
Aside from that, my home life growing up was good. My wife and I love each other, though we have stresses and struggles in our relationship. My children are in a loving home, where they are supported, validated and loved individually.

The addiction began before it actually began. Curiosity rooted it in my mind from things I viewed as a young kid and though I never binged until years later, I think there was damage done.

Sorry i didnt mean it in any way that you could be in same situation or would be similar person. It was just a thought and observation. And he is actually not so much a sex addict than an alcoholic. My ex before him was a sex addict in more classical sense.

1 Like

Gotcha. No offense taken, just confused by it. Addicts come in all shapes and forms, but ultimately were all just broken people with problems that either define us or we master.

2 Likes

Yep. And i have collected a good gallery of them :joy: first ex being a game addict. Enough material for my future studies…

1 Like

Great it’s 330 in the morning and you made me hungry. Now I have to eat

2 Likes

Fucking A right! Love this!

1 Like

Aww, it got flagged? I was trying to make a pun.

5 Likes

I saw the humor. Then I went and made chicken nuggets. At 345 am. #soberlife

3 Likes

Oh dang, just realized that I got demoted to Member. Guess I havent been shelling out enough likes…

Right? I think that one went over some heads. Have you had anything else flagged in the last couple months? Cuz thatll get ya demoted too.
Also: flags in the tough love thread…

089b185f84415b95c4d95474d9bda29c556fe59e2850c584edd227fdafe36ae9

4 Likes

Flags don’t get you demoted. Not being active enough gets you demoted.