Truth and tough love

I was best man in a Catholic wedding. I’m not Catholic. When everyone got Communion, I stood there, by myself, slamming a flask of Scotch.

I believe I am referred to as a class act.

Side note: my toast was awesome, even being completely hamboned

7 Likes

Generally like in my experience its what you would have been told by someone who had a bad experience in a meeting, bad reviews get spread around faster than good ones. AA meetings tend to take place in churches so tend to be assumed as religious just by its location

1 Like

Yeah my local one is in a church basement.
A lot of language used in the big book can be taken to be religious, not surprising considering when it was written. Life is a lot more secular now.
I think if your open to the meetings you take what you will from them. If anything it puts you in contact with people local to you going through the same experience.

4 Likes

That’s very true, I agree with you I’m an atheist but have no problem going to church, I go for weddings, funerals, christening and baptisms and take the boys for Easter children’s service, my children believe in God and go to a church school, I’m open minded just because I don’t believe in God doesn’t mean that I will dictate my children’s beliefs, do I have a higher power, yes I do its just taken me a while to find it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Drop the mic. It requires dropping.

11 Likes

“Anyplace can become an instant DUI checkpoint, if you hit it with your car”

Ron White

10 Likes

I ask the intimidating lady 2b my sponsor yesterday. Now I’m too afraid to call her. I’ll call her, but I’m nervous. I didn’t know if she was swamped with sponsees and used term temporary sponsor. She told me her sponsor told her there’s no such thing as a temporary sponsor. … Okay. Yes ma’am.

I think she was meaning you either work the program or you dont. Shes said something before about “Total Program Commitment” - TPC. She means it.

4 Likes

And she whipped a formal calling card out of her purse, so I’d have her number. Pro status. Heh.

5 Likes

She sounds awesome

1 Like

I second that! Nothing worth having comes easy…

1 Like

I have said “I’ve got this” or “I’m okay now, so I can start having a few beers here and there to unwind”. That is just my disease trying to fool me into believing I can drink like normal people. Thing is, I have never drank like a non-alcoholic and enjoyed myself. If I get to the point of having these thoughts cross my mind, it is a clear warning sign that I am not working hard enough on my program and have been “resting on my laurels”. So I immediately begin going to more meetings and seeking a stronger conscious contact with my Higher Power. And my Sponsor is going to get an earfull when I can sit down face-to-face with him. Complacency is a defect of mine of which I must remain vigilant at all times. The moment I start believing “I can” is the beginning of my regression in recovery.

7 Likes

No one told me there would be frozen yogurt. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Just left her a message. Shes no joke. One day imma be passing out my own AA cards! Has the symbol on it, then her home, cell, and email address. Yup

4 Likes

tenor

4 Likes
  1. A book that says addiction isn’t a disease is bullshit. If you rely on that to get sober then enjoy your relapse.

2. It’s good to have a support system in recovery. It’s really bad to think that you can get your s/o sober. Especially in early sobriety. Two dead batteries can’t start a car.

8 Likes

As my great great grandsponsor says: Suffer well!

You are absolutely free to do as you wish, including to suffer. I see a lot of people on day 1 today. I see more people who are just absolutely miserable. And from what I’ve read, most relapsers and people suffering aren’t working any type of program.

So suffer well! When you want to talk solution, rather than bitch about your problems, let me know.

10 Likes

One good thing… Welcome aboard to all my new sober twinsies!

4 Likes

And you are bitching about people are bitching about their problems. Sounds a little judgemental to me. How was your early days of sobriety? Did you ever bitch on this forum about your problems? Are you getting ahead of yourself? Just asking. People can bitch about their problems, it is part of the process. You don’t have to read them. Freedom of speech is is the pillar of our country. If anybody need to vent, they can vent all they want. If they relapse, it is their journey. I am here to listen and offer unconditional love. A little empathy goes a long way.

13 Likes

Not bitching at all. Of course people can bitch about there problems. That’s like 90% of the threads here. All I’m saying is that complaining won’t get people sober. If all I did was focus on my problems I would never get better. This thread is for honest assessments. This isn’t the hugs and sunshine thread. You can feel free to mute it if you would like.

Thanks!

10 Likes

Any problems rent space in your head. Unless its controllable and organizable it has no business being there. Leaving less room for your mind to be productive thinking and achieving wants and needs. Focusing on recovery suffers and eventually they fall off.

1 Like