TS Cycling Thread - Biking Sober!

Ellen van Dijk right now trying to break the hour world record. Crazy tough. Go Ellen!

5 Likes

Great ride yesterday, mostly favourable wind, took the train home. There was a bit more gravel to negotiate than I bargained for. Not ideal on 25mm road tires, especially when climbing. Still beautiful.

10 Likes

Sounds like you do need to get a gravel bike after all! :wink:
That looks like such a lovely ride.

1 Like

Biking in birks yesterday for errands and an afternoon working on a puzzle at my Memere’s. Finally got the new head badge on this bike.

9 Likes

Well hello fellow cycling enthusiasts. I biked to work for the first time this season and good lord am I out of shape. It’s amazing how much stamina is lost when one turns to a couch potato over winter. Guess it’s time to get serious about riding again.

2 Likes

Heck yeah to getting back on the bike! What are you riding? How far is your commute?

1 Like

Super short commute: about 2 miles (but +200 ft elevation gain). But I usually go for a “long way” home to get 10 or so miles. My old beater is a Trek 700 Multitrack from back in the day before they decided bikes should be “light”. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m riding a 20 year old hybrid that I have put some good memories and miles into but it was gifted to me many years ago. I will be buying my very own new to me bike soon.

Just for fun, what is anyone’s dream bike?

With sobriety savings I can afford to buy myself a nice bike but I have a hard time treating myself to nice things. I’ve been riding the same bike for 20 years because it still works but when I go on rides with friends it is apparent that my bike weighs about 30 pounds. I ride streets and paved trails mostly and put about 100 miles on the bike every year.

My favorite part of biking is they way it makes me feel like a kid again and the idea that my own pedal power can move me great distances. Can I live vicariously through your choices until I shop on Friday? Happy pedals all.

4 Likes

From my bike ride earlier today … I like biking or walking because it’s easier for me to pull over if I see something cool. I like the freedom. I’m always trying to find places to appreciate my sobriety even more. Always trying to find beautiful places to collect my thoughts and then pedal some more… I have not had a bike of my own. But everywhere I go there always seems to be bikes that nobody is using. With my sobriety I would like to invest in a better bike that I can truly call mine. The farthest I ever biked was Saint Augustine to Palm Coast…About 50 miles. I got to Palm Coast and forgot I had a bike back .It’s fun seeing how far you can push yourself and all the stuff you see along the way.

6 Likes

Couldn’t really choose between a training ride and a shopping ride so I sort of did both at the same time. Did some groceries shopping at my new favourite organic place, and found some great sales items (backpack and sunglasses) at the best and oldest outdoor shop in town. And rode 70km / 43.5m. Time well spent.

8 Likes

What my country lacks in elevation, it makes up for with wind. Windy ride today. Not time for musings and meditation. It was stoempen! (loosely translated as stomping or stamping)

11 Likes

From the map, it looks like you just portaged through the Markermeer there! I guess there must be a bridge or something! :rofl:

Great ride! Looks like a good challenge.

2 Likes

Yes it does. In fact it’s a dike. The plan was in the 60’s to make a polder -called Markerwaard- out of the Markermeer. The dike was the first phase. The polder didn’t happen but they made a road on the dike. The pics are from there. Cars on one side of the dike, bikes on the other Nice. I only do it when the wind is favourable, from around North.

2 Likes

Not sure when I will actually be allowed to bike again. Once it’s been one week post op I’m at least allowed spin bike with no resistance. Going to have to bring my gravel bike back inside on the trainer. In the meantime, here’s an old photo of one of my favorite bikes in the Cycling Museum of Minnesota.

7 Likes

Already gave ya a like on Strava but figured I would here too

2 Likes

On my way to the beach. About halfway there maybe three or 4 miles to go …:grinning:Hope everybody has a good Sunday

8 Likes

First proper ride of the year. 16 miles… Time to get back into shape.

7 Likes

A roundup of some really rad bikepacking set ups including a handful of folks I’m acquainted with. Anybody else planning to watch the trackers after they head out tomorrow? I’m super pumped! Tour Divide is on my list of races I want to do someday.

3 Likes

All look amazing! I can’t imagine going on a tour like that :grimacing: my goal for biking this year is to reach 25 miles in one trip. Everyone here seems to have awesome bike set ups but I’m afraid mine is pretty basic… gotta start somewhere though, right? And I’m excited to use my newfound free time to get back into cycling!

1 Like

Yay bikes! We do need to start somewhere indeed.
25 miles is a great goal! I saw over in the check in thread you did a 3 mile ride. It’s those small daily miles that add up to reaching those goals!

I remember when I got my first “adult” bike after a childhood of clunky walmart mountain bikes. I got this old 60s cruiser with an internal 3 speed hub (photo below) so I could ride 1 mile to college and 1 mile back home everyday. At the time that felt like so much!

When I rode to the bike shop 5 miles away to look at nicer road bikes awhile after that felt like the hardest ride I would ever do! :see_no_evil: little did I know how I’d grow to love bikes and the stupid big mileage I’d want to put on them. Before sobriety, bikes were the first thing that saved my life.

9 Likes