TS Cycling Thread - Biking Sober!

Such a pretty bike though!! :sob: I feel the same way about biking! I used to live in a bigger city where it was a more socially accepted mode of travel, and had a delivery job that was 100% on bike. I loved it with everything I had! My average mileage every day at work was 25 miles so that’s why I chose that number for my goal :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: since moving back to my hometown (smaller and less bike friendly) I have relied on my car to get me around for even small trips. I miss feeing more energized than tired at the end of a work day, and THE MUSCLES! :rofl:

When I first found this thread I saw something about an app called Strava, which I downloaded. Turns out one of my old coworkers from that bike job is on there!

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Can I ask what city you were in? Minneapolis was my bike city and I had lots of courier friends there but never did a delivery job myself. Joining mess friends for alleycat races was the whole reason I ever wanted to get a newer road bike :biking_woman:t2: :biking_woman:t2: (which I’ve since sold lol).

I have the same problem - I moved back to my hometown during the pandemic and it is a very tiny town with few people on bikes. Luckily I’ve never had a car or license so I still had to rely on my bike but just ended up going out less. Working from home now tho and don’t even have a commute anymore. Forced myself to sign up for out of town races so the need to train kept me riding until I injured myself :face_with_head_bandage: :man_facepalming:t2:

Strava! Its a cool app. I love seeing all of my friends rides and having the data from rides. I don’t publicly post my strava account here but I am happy to exchange over dm and have TS friends there :relaxed: would love to see all your rides, especially as you’re working for that goal!

3 Likes

Today’s Stavas for my first bike commute to my new job. It was fun and will do it more often but not daily. Wind wasn’t cooperating today as it turned from SW to WNW.

7 Likes

Dang that’s a decently long commute! Keep that up you’ll definitely stay in shape to come over here and do the Great Divide someday.

2 Likes

I used to ride almost every day. 20 miles or so on weekdays, 40 to 60 miles on weekend days. Haven’t ridden in a good long while, but today I had the urge to get my bike out and ready. Might go for a short ride tomorrow morning, 8-10 miles.

3 Likes

Damn y’all making me wanna buy a bike and try out bike packing. Damn

2 Likes

Other than riding bikes all the time as a kid, I really started getting into cycling right before I went to college. A friend built me a Frankenstein fixed gear from found parts, and it served me well to this day (have had her for ~15 years!).

Now these are the ones I spend waaay more time on. I love road cycling and racing triathlon! Biking helps me feel really free. I hope you all enjoy it that much — whether you ride fast/slow/heavy mileage or just a few miles around town :yum:

7 Likes

Is this a good buy? And what would adjustments mean??

3 Likes

I basically have that exact bike and it’s a trooper. It is great on streets and gravel, and I’ve taken it on lots of longer rides. 25 bucks is a good deal IMHO. Not sure what “adjustments” mean in this case, but you could take it to a bike shop if there is one near you and they might be able to help out.

2 Likes

Nice thanks for the feedback I think I’ma buy it lol

2 Likes

I was living in Madison WI for 5 years or so before I moved back to my hometown. Being from the Midwest I’m sure you understand! My reward for reaching my goal is going to be one of those indoor trainers so I can still get some biking in during the winter.

1 Like

@fl_flower_grl Frankenstein bikes are so much fun! How long have you been racing triathlon? I had an old coworker that was a triathlete. Such a different world of cycling culture and gear! It still blows my mind. I agree bikes make me feel free as well! :heart_eyes: and I have heart eyes for your specialized. That is a pretty bike.

@Jftself $25 is almost always a good buy as long as it’s a decent undamaged frame. Like Drew said I’d definitely take it in to a shop get a full tuneup. That’s going to be a fun rig tho. I hope you were able to snag it!

2 Likes

No response yet :/. We’ll see what happens🤞

3 Likes

Oh nice! I haven’t actually ridden bikes there yet or in person met any cyclists from Madison but I am ig friends with a handful of them that hang around Black Saddle Bike Shop. Trainers are great living in this climate :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I mean I love riding in the snow but it’s nice to have options and just hop on instead of bundling up.

1 Like

Yes, and those big tire bikes are something I don’t have money or space for unfortunately but I’m okay with staying inside during the winter :cold_face:

1 Like

It is so different! And I’m definitely a budget triathlete :rofl::rofl: but I’ve been racing since 2014.

2 Likes

Today’s ride! I went at the perfect time. You know that hour or so before it starts raining in the summer where it cools off and gets kind of breezy? Right before the rain brings back the heat and humidity? That’s what it was like on my ride! I saw tons of wildlife. Baby rabbits, cardinals, the first monarch of the season, I even caught a gopher in the water collecting stuff for its home :rofl: it was wonderful.

7 Likes

This ride was a little bit over the top for someone recovering from covid. But I made it, and feel pretty good now after a big portion of strawberries and extra creamy ice cream. Saw some nice sights. I love the botanical garden from Amsterdam’s second university, the VU. I biked through Hoofddorp, known as one of the most boring towns in this country, probably the reason I can’t remember ever being there before. And I visited my current fav shop/grower/farmer collective. Got some banana mint there. Smells great. And needs next to no sunlight or care. Just water. Ideal for me and my balcony.

12 Likes

Biked to work today!

More out of necessity than want, but I’m hoping to change that mindset. Doing it consistently every day is what’s going to help me reach my goal… right!?

5 Likes

Did my organic shopping tour yesterday. One grower, one dairy farm. The ride was a bit further as I anticipated. Longest ride I did with my hybrid bike with bob trailer. Taking it easier today.

9 Likes