Warning gross TMI - Bowel Movements

Soooooooo I’ve been having the runs for as long as I can remember. Years. Actual years. I was drinking to get drunk almost every day. I’ve done a number to my GI tract, no doubt.

One of the many reasons I quit drinking was to get a handle on my health. I’m on day 26 (yay :smiley:)

So I was wondering, have you guys noticed better BMs since quitting drinking and if so, how long did it take for your bodies to produce normal poops?

Sorry if you’re eating :smiley:

6 Likes

Try having a pro biotic everyday… it should help out. I also highly recommend a multi vitamin and fish oil.

3 Likes

If you’re still having loose poops, soluble fibre can add bulk and make it less runny. Oatmeal, psyllium fibre is great too (can but on own in natural form or its in supplements like Metamucil). Limit caffeine, sugar, alcohol (that ones a given lol) as they tend to be GI irritants and cause looser stools. If you’re constipated, insoluble fibre can be helpful (ground flax, bran etc) and lots of water, exercise. It may take some time for your body to adjust also. Your gut and GI tract are healing. Probiotics can be helpful for some too, to help re-establish gut flora :poop:

4 Likes

Also to add, if you find things don’t improve, seeing your healthcare provider can be helpful too, to run tests and rule a few things out. But the quitting drinking is an awesome start to see if things improve, along with some diet/lifestyle tweaks. Great job on your sober days!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure there’s a whole thread on the forum about this lol might be helpful

2 Likes

Will check it out thanks :laughing:

@mrchimpy Sober Poops :smile:

2 Likes

Actually my last relapse I got the runs halfway through the first drink, and during the hangover. My body was really not happy I was putting that shit - pun intended - back in.

4 Likes

This is my favorite part of sobriety that no one seems to talk about! I dunno if it was the booze or the bad diet I had with it (but that’s not much better now :joy:) but absolutely yes!

Within a couple weeks it was firm loaves of bread again! :poop: :+1:

Your mileage may vary. I agree with @Salty if it carries on too long.

4 Likes

I had friends in AA who talked about this and helped alleviate my fears. I was wicked bad at the end, I had to sit on the toilet to get my first beer or coffee of the day inside me. Even after getting sober, I carried spare underwear with me at all times. After 18 months, everything returned to normal. It got progressively better over that time, of course.

3 Likes

Yes, my GI tract improved quickly, when I quit drinking. I used to have boughts of bowel irritability that would hit suddenly, often at the most inopportune times. I also had bad hemorrhoids.

As I began to heal, and also began eating better, everything improved. No heartburn, irritable bowels, or hemorrhoids. Now, I’m as regular as the tides.

I eat a lot of greens, collards, radish, mustard, turnip, kale. I eat fermented veggies like kraut a d kimchee, which are a natural probiotic. I am a big animal protein eater, so having greens in my diet helps keep things balanced. I try to hit 60/40 veggies/protein, and this works for me.

4 Likes

Yeah, booze will do a number on your tummy and intestines. My go-to, block of extra sharp cheddar cheese! Start of with about half of it. Warning: that first solid BM will be like giving birth to a concrete football! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

… One day, after about 6 weeks alcohol free, I was so impressed with my gift to the porcelain god, I considered contacting the Guinness World Records :sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I am respecting your ex, … but he would definitely have won silver :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

Sorry about the IBS. Two friends have had it for years. Not fun at all :pray::kissing_heart:

1 Like