Was anyone ever able to successfully social drink again?

Hi heard recently that an addict dies every seven minutes, statistics.:slightly_frowning_face:

I am right there with you on that one. 100% Accurate. @HoofHearted

I have been able to for 6 months. I’ve been able to go to bars and have one beer and leave it at that. I’ve shocked myself and not even finished them too! Lol. All until this weekend and I blew it :broken_heart: I have full confidence it was just a slip though and I’ll be right back to sobriety.

I was wondering the same thing as the OP.
But I’m way too scared to find out.
Watching my brother about to go into detox with severe cirrhosis, I am extremely reluctant to test my social "normie " drinking.

2 Likes

you’re the one who doesn’t get it hazy! I’m sorry to say! Please believe me that I’m not yelling at you! But social drinking is using end of story! That’s just the way it is if you want to be sober you can’t drink.! So she’ll drinking is using!!

Social Drinking Sorry💓

IF anyone was successfully able to do this they wouldn’t be here on this forum, reading this post. As for the people grasping at straws and hoping it’s possible, best wishes to you on your journey.

6 Likes

That was me too…for a while. I stopped drinking in September 2018. It didn’t even feel all that difficult. I had a half glass of wine the following July and didn’t even finish it. I thought maybe I just needed a “reset.” That summer I had a beer here, glass of wine there. It seemed I could moderate. Six months later, I was right back where I had been. I hope this does not happen for you, but your recent episode is concerning.

Especially when I read your post from March of last year, where you seemed to gain insight from a similar incident. (Linked below)

I truly hope you are that rare unicorn who can moderate. But I will say that my therapist laughed at me (in the most loving way) when I proposed moderation as a goal early in my journey.

I stopped drinking again in October 2019. In june 2020, two glasses of wine on separate occasions led fairly quickly to two bottles. I know who I am now. I don’t drink.

Peace to you on your journey :cherry_blossom::tea::cherry_blossom:

6 Likes

I don’t drink socially or unsocially :slight_smile::pray:…I was just putting forward a perspective. There’s obviously not one without the other with an addict. I was just playing with the word ‘successfully’ in the social context. :+1:. If it’s socially drinking ‘without’ unsocially drinking then no I’d never done or be able to do that!.:joy:

5 Likes

I got what you were saying 100%. I think people are not reading it the way you meant.

4 Likes

You’re completely right. It was just the fact that I made it 6 months. I felt amazing. I look sober (if that makes sense)… But, yes, I get it now… As much as I want to just be normal, I now know I can’t bc someday it could be the day I slip. I don’t want that life back.

1 Like

Or reading at all :wink:

2 Likes

I flipped the switch on “normal” and it makes it so much better for me. For years and years I just wanted to be “normal”. However, it’s not normal to ingest poison. That’s exactly what it is. It’s astounding how socially acceptable it is.

I now have my comeback for when appalled people ask me why I I’m not drinking, or why don’t you drink? They ask like there is something wrong with me for not ingesting poison. Fucking really? So I go “Why are you drinking?”, “why do you drink?”

How rude it be to go up to someone at a party or business function with an astonished “Wow, why are you drinking???” Who does that? It’s just as rude asking someone why they are not drinking.

I see it often here where people look for excuses so they don’t have to explain themselves for not drinking. There is nothing to explain here. It’s normal to not drink. So, when someone asks me why I don’t, I just ask them why they do.

12 Likes

Thankyou :pray::heartpulse::pray:…I was having a moment of overanalyzing but not denying :grinning:

1 Like

Love it :+1::pray:

2 Likes

I ve tried at least 6! Binge drinker here .socially,occasionally athome .I gave up after my first passout .I been cutting bck then went out drank twobottles of wine .passed out ,had to be bought home in a trolley .mortified.ashamed cried for days .then decided somethings clearly wrong and now im here…so nov 2nd 22 .is the start of facing my problem :japanese_ogre::face_with_head_bandage::flushed: the signs were there ,and living here drinks pretty normal …

2 Likes

I can’t moderate.

I also tried it, it has been turture for me.

Because one glas of wine is never ever enough!

Never. Not for me.

And social drinking, what does that mean? People, who don’t have a problem with alcohol, they meet each other and don’t care, if they drink alcohol or not. As me, everybody who cares about the question, if there will be wine or not, should deeply think about.

1 Like

I’m working as a nurse in a detox facility. Also using my own experiences as an addict in my work. So many of the folks admitted (the big majority) for alcohol (or any other substance) still think and hope they can go back to ‘controlled’ drinking.

To that all I can say is that the fact that they are where they are (just like we are here) proves that that we lost that control. We’re not going to find it back.

And even if I could (I don’t think I do), it’d be such a terrible struggle to keep myself from falling back into the pit. There’d be nothing social about it. Or fun. It’d be just as bad (or nearly anyway) as giving up and going back to full blown alcoholism.

I do see how hard it is for people to accept this is the truth. It’s addiction speaking in their minds. Addiction keeping a tight grip on our thoughts. It’s lies. We’re so much better of without. We don’t need the bloody stuff.

6 Likes

I think part of it is ignorance the other denial.

I was one of them, I just let my drinking get out of control, I just need to get the physical withdrawals out of me, it’s not a mental obsession, I made a choice, and I kept making that choice,

The famous “Substance Addiction is a choice not a disease” I say it’s both but that’s a topic and post for another day

The idea of moderation i strongly believe is desired by many for a few reasons, control is one, to feel like we defeated our demons, and can be in control of our own use, society perception, we go to clubs bars dinners weddings parties and alcohol is the centerpiece beverage served, while others drink theirs we drink a non alcoholic beverage, so we feel excluded, addicts and alcoholics in recovery, we think we are in the minority yet, almost everyday I meet recovering addicts and alcoholics in my everyday life, not at meetings or sober functions but at work grocery store, social outings you name it

Something I was told when I questioned my alcoholism And I say It all the time

I may or may not be an alcoholic, but I just don’t want to find out.

6 Likes

I’ve heard about social drinkers.It’s not me.
I have always drank alcoholically.
I had an opportunity one time in the Navy to go from ship to shore for a cook out where my ship was supplying and rationing 2 beers per person and there was no place on shore to buy more.
I was like HUH? “two beers no since even going”.
That’s my mentality about my disease.
I never wanted to drink socially then and I sure don’t now.
It is way more fun and exciting being a social water drinker. :crazy_face:
But if you want to try it, my hat is off to you as the Big Book says.

2 Likes