What has been your greatest ally in quitting?

New here but going to really try and commit to getting more encouragement, advice and help in this group as ive large handled this problem by myself and havent felt okay talking about it with others… but onto the point. What has helped you guys press onwards with your sobriety? Both through tips or motivation. Ive thought a lot about triggers and realized i am one for myself. The fact that i exist i feel ive tried to subconsciously poison myself with alcohol. But i know i want… hell need…to stop. My fiance has been my biggest inspiration and i dont want to let him down but sometimes i worry i wont have all the tools to handle this successfully on my own

4 Likes

Sorry to others if I’m over simplifying this. But in my view it all depends on if you’re read and how bad you want it. If you want somthing bad enough you’ll claw and fight for it.

At the same time make sure you have a strong support group we all need help. Its foolish to think we can get through life without it.

Having this app has changed my life for the better. I feel these forums are my meetings and it brings great comfort that I have a meeting just a few clicks away.

You got this !!!

And remember Communication is key!

4 Likes

My greatest ally in quiting is staying busy, building a new life. A life without drugs and alcohol. I got my 15 day badge today. I feel good i am tracking my sleep making sure I get REM I started meditation with bineral beats I am reading everyday working out, to beat these addictions I knew I had to rewire my brain to celebrate everyday I am sober the process continues I won’t be denied, like James Arthur said I will design my recovery.

5 Likes

Honestly thank you for this advice… celebrating sobriety is a warmimg concept. Ive had a hard time letting go in the past… i know what i could get from being healthier without it but dreaded other aspects like stomaching heavy emotions and stress without alcohol to push through. Itd be nice to focus on upsides instead of losses.

1 Like

Exactly key word fight you must fight yourself those thoughts in your head are not absolute facts their some lieing to you to fight and win you must become the CEO of your mind reclaim what is yours it might take a few battles but you will win the war.

3 Likes

Purpose and direction have been my greatest allys. If I don’t have goals, something to look forward to and something that gives me a sense of accomplishment I can’t stay sober. For me excersize is my new Doc and in my opinion the most powerful recovery tool aside from a structured program.

3 Likes

I learnt that you must say NO to the drink that matters, the first drink. Every time you’re offered a drink or thinking about having one, tell yourself and that person offering it: No. When you question this decision, play the tape ALL of the way through, what will REALLY happen if you have that first drink. How will you feel about yourself. Will it really be a good time or is this just a fantasy…! You know your truth. Self love and self respect mean self discipline. You are worthy of being sober and happy. Sober life = our best life :blush: you say no because you are, now, a non-drinker.

7 Likes

staying busy and setting goals for yourself is really helpful in keeping away from it. i just passed the 3 week mark myself and at times it’s been difficult, but i know im starting to see progress towards some of my important life goals

2 Likes

I found that the Sobertime app and this chat forum was my biggest help. I read people’s posts and was inspired to continue on my journey of sobriety. I had daily cravings for well over a year and a half. Fortunately I took everyone’s advice here that I would never be able to be a casual drinker even after being sober for a long time. Another reason for not relapsing is I absolutely didn’t want to have to reset my addiction. I started exercising again which also helped. It’s now possible for my husband to keep rum in the house and I haven’t (knock on wood) had any cravings fortunately. I wi be sober for three years this upcoming July 27th. I hope that I was able to help a little, I definitely know how horrible things are in the beginning, I was literally miserable for a long time, I felt that I had nothing left in life, nothing fun, just nothing. I fortunately never gave in to that nagging voice and it gradually became quiet. I take things day by day and, for the moment, all is well. You can absolutely do this, find your reason :blush::kissing_heart:

8 Likes

I really admire your discipline. I feel like exercise adds a difficulty as i try to get back into the swing of it but theres definitely got to be something to keep me busy

Well, then no exercise😊. What did you used to enjoy prior to drinking ?

I hope my brain can start to accept that as a fact instead of questioning and wavering in the face of being tempted. I hate how abnormal it makes me feel that i cant just have one drink or two, and stop there. Always felt like i let go of my control the moment i start to feel relaxed. But this is just the reality of it

1 Like

Sunshine stories like yours have been the absolute biggest help. Thank you for your realness and honesty. I feel like some people say you have to want to quit bad enough but dont talk about how it doesnt mean part of you will snap out of it and just stop wanting it anymore… just the root and nature of what it means to be addicted to something. But i know if someone can go through what youve described and come out better, it makes me feel really good (and happy for you. Congratulations on your third year!) And honestly i will have to sit back and reflect on what i used to like to do

1 Like

I think the problem with excersize is that people get the idea that you have to do heaps or it has to be really hard. But in reality excersize could just be a 15 minute walk in the park :blush: it’s certainly not for everyone though. Another thing that really helps me during intense cravings is music I love or YouTube videos of things that remind me of how much more to life there is than just using. I don’t surf at all, but for some reason videos of people surfing really calms me down and gets me out of that zone of wanting to drink. It’s strange. I guess everyone has their little things they do and if you haven’t found yours yet, you inevitably will.

It’s a long and bumpy ride I’m sorry to say. I had read an article that I can no longer find unfortunately where it explains how it takes the brain a year or more to recover from alcohol addiction. I was drinking heavily on a daily basis for at least 5 years, longer than that actually but it wasn’t daily before then. And having gone through all of this I’d say it’s true. I was discouraged when I read it. I would often joke that I would have rather chewed my own arm off than go through the pain of quitting drinking. I know that you can’t see it now that things will eventually get better, I know because I was you, I am you… sometimes you just have to have blind trust in other people’s experiences and not say: well I want to find out on my own. I think that’s what helped me. I trusted the people on this forum, blindly… that I will never be like others, I will never be able to just stop at one drink. I accept it. It doesn’t make me bad, or weak, it’s just the way I am. I talk openly to people about my addiction, to some people’s shock. There is such shame associated with being an alcoholic, but hey, shit happens. Acknowledging the problem is the first step :blush:

3 Likes

Early on, I knew I needed to get out of the way of my old hangouts and drinking buds. This meant I left work early on Friday rather than lingering as the drinking crews gathered. I did not think I had the strength early on or the clarity of purpose to avoid peer pressure. So I got the hell out of dodge. I did not (and five and a half years later, still do not) hang out in bars. I’m done with that chapter.

I also started a regular walking habit. I bought a Fitbit and started walking everywhere in my neighborhood and city. It made a huge difference for me— the movement was good and healthy. Being outside helped me pull my head out of my ass because I had to look around me. It made me feel more connected and aware of my community— which was positive because when I stopped drinking one of the overwhelming feelings I experienced was feeling left out. Walking everywhere helped alleviate that disconnection. I also lost a lot of weight once I walked regularly which made me feel great and strengthened my commitment to not drinking.

Social media is a killer. Nothing like scrolling past photos of my good buddies drinking and partying at a bar without me. I was not always successful but I tried to limit my time spent on social media and to become aware when what I was reading was upsetting me.

Don’t romanticize your drinking past. I would find myself thinking of all the amazingly super fun times I had drinking and then feel sorry for myself. Finding some old journals I had kept were helpful— particularly when I found excerpts I had written while drunk. Not quite the paradise I liked to think it was. Nor was I the amazing and insightful writer I imagined myself to be when drunk.

Over time, it’s become much easier and natural to be sober. I have zero desire to drink again. I am so glad I quit. Each day sober makes you stronger.

6 Likes

Certainly going to the gym and getting in shape has probably helped me the most. I don’t want to ruin my progress by drinking tons of empty calories and not having the energy to workout.

And after my ex left me because of my drinking, I wanted to learn and grow from my mistakes. It was the final straw and I didn’t want to hurt anyone I love again. I also wanted to change and to be able to show her I’ve changed. I dont want to go back to drinking and then she would know she made the right decision in leaving me.

1 Like

Took my brain a good while to accept the fact. Surrendering to the truth is freeing though. Liberate the “new you” and revel in the beauty of your new, sober life. Its often about our own perspectives. The great thing is, we can change our perspective to suit what we want and life we choose. Its hard, but it’s doable. I know you can do it, you’ve just gotta believe it too :smiley::muscle:

2 Likes

Determination to never give up especially when it’s tough(er) than usual…to keep it simple …

Going to meetings and working the program

2 Likes