What is "happiness" to you?

Still one of my favorite aspects of sobriety – waking up just regular tired!

3 Likes

Is it bad that I forget what happiness feels like? I feel like my “high“ point is just to the level that life just doesn’t horrendously suck.

Tbh I don’t know if I ever had anything other than fleeting glimpses of happiness. I don’t recall any sustained period…

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s bad at all. I truly forgot too, so the moment I felt it again it was strange to me. I almost didn’t recognize it. I was a little out of body in the experience of it. Surprised by a sudden surge of pure, uncontrollable giddyness. Not produced by anything but good healthy food and lots and lots of water! Try to take a few hours, find nature, take off your shoes and socks and feel the earth under your feet. My first day of sobriety I walk barefoot in the snow. Shocks your system and brings depth to existence through vulnerability and discomfort. I hope the sun shines bright upon you as you are happiness. And though you can not recall now, does not mean it can not be felt.

2 Likes

In such agreement here. Guilt free is the way to be!

1 Like

Time with my family and REAL friends that love me for who i am… Not who i became on drugs. Im learning to become grateful for the small things. I get to lay in a normal bed tonight and not a cot on some steel in jail. Just being able to enjoy a beautiful day outside and not having to watch the days go by in a jail cell is a blessing fr. I get to enjoy the presence of my family. I may not see them as often as i wish i could but i talk to my mom everyday and shes still my best friend. And im so grateful for that. :100:

4 Likes

Being able to be a good mom and wife and spend time with my family. Being focused on positive things and not letting myself be sucked into repeating past bad behaviors.

3 Likes

Simple… clean and serene

2 Likes

Happiness to me is being able to wake up everyday and take everyday on with a drop kick. i have control on what i do everyday not letting a drug control it. The money ive saved in just over 2mo and no more stressin over it anymore… i put my life on pause for ten plus years. I wouldnt wanna trade the life where im at today to go back …

2 Likes

Proud of You! Found true happiness from within

I struggle with this concept many times, particularly when faced a feeling of happiness vs a happy life. Sometimes I wonder if the cessation of fighting anything or anyone is really where it’s at?

2 Likes

loud amps, playing soccer, laying my head down at night sober wo a million terrible emotions and thoughts swirling, eating lunch w a friend, laughing w others, being able to experience emotions instead of drowning them in booze, being comfortable in my own skin, getting groceries, loud amps again.

2 Likes

riding bike for first time in 3 years. I can’t hold In the tears. Is it normal to cry a lot when trying to get sober?

8 Likes

It is absolutely normal to cry a lot in early sobriety. Heck, I’m 22 months and some change, and I still feel tears come up at the strangest times.

Yeah, riding a bike for the first time in three years on a beautiful beach? That’s totally tear worthy…

5 Likes

Being okay with just being okay… The absence of anxiety in my life most of the time. Peace and serenity intertwine with my higher power.

3 Likes

Happiness is a day without anxiety. And in control.

4 Likes

Just a word in the dictionary.

1 Like

Happiness is a nice feeling. For me it is when I accept where I am as a growing, learning, perfectly-incomplete being - and sit in that space with non-judgment. With acceptance.

I don’t really have a “moment” which is happiness for me. It’s kind of a moving target. But I feel like a big part of it is being present and grateful. And I try to be those as much as I can.

1 Like

Happiness is reading old threads to see how the long term members used to be

6 Likes

Pizza. :yum:

1 Like

Happiness is just being grateful for everything.

1 Like