What is the #1 thing that helped you quit drinking?

Could you do a post about LifeRing? It’s not talked about much and I love to know more about it. I have a lot of friends in the program say how the Judge was their first sponsor.

1 Like

#1 thing for me this time is “mindset” alcohol does not benefit me or my life/relationships. Any perceived benefits were all horseshit that either delayed the inevitable or made things worse.

#2 Know your enemy. The first drink. Its the only thing I have to fight.

#3 Focus on the present. What I did in the past has no bearing on what I need/should do now. The future is never promised. Make plans and goals but focus on what you can do now to achieve the. Example- dont drink today. I have done that 290 days in a row.

3 Likes

So LifeRing is similar, like a secular version of AA. I’ve only gone to a few so I’m no expert but we kind of explained how we got there, talk about where we are now/how our week has been and then share coping strategies and how we have stayed sober. It’s more self help so you aren’t answering to a higher power, you control your sobriety with the help of others.

I don’t have a sponsor as of now, and am checking out a meeting Sunday that a new friend highly suggested. I’ll report back after that one. All I know is the religious aspect of AA always made it hard for me, as an atheist, to follow through with. I still enjoy some meetings around here but this is just a better fit for now.

1 Like

Probably utter shame. I was in a place I never thought I would put myself in again. And it just broke me to my core. Something had to change and alcohol (and other bad behaviors) was it.

3 Likes

Simply believing I can.

4 Likes

That’s a big one for me Dan.
Having the self belief. After a couple of years of trying and failing, I was beginning to think I was useless.
Even when I started on here, I’d look at people like Lea and MoCatt, who had 6 months up, and couldn’t believe I would see that sort of time.
As I got more days in I started to realise that I could do it!:smile:

3 Likes

Jumping head first into AA. It’s the only thing that’s has worked for me.

7 Likes

Reading 10 magical words that struck me like a fucking lightning bolt on my day 1 post here. They were written by one of the best, most disciplined and most inspirational people on this forum. “Decide to be better, and then work to be better.” For some reason seeing the words laid out like that, as well as the rest of what he wrote - it felt like a spontaneous recovery. Like I was born as a new person. It was like switching off a light switch on my 3 decade bender. I carry those words with me everywhere I go & I haven’t looked back. Thank you @Yoda-Stevie for being guru for so many

11 Likes

The long arm of the law. Is it long arm or strong arm?

1 Like

You are most welcome. So glad it’s helped you on the path. I tell myself the same thing daily.

1 Like

That’s the thing.
Yoda’s posts were always so profound.
I think a lot of people on here have been influenced by him.
It’s why I say to people to read threads on here. There is so much information and good advice.

5 Likes

There’s a lot of power in believing. And there’s a lot packed in that little word.

Believing is not hope; believing is knowing you can, knowing your ready to change, knowing to challenge your self, knowing your ready to ask for help.

Believing I can got me started on the path. It was eaveryone here and everything else that kept me on that path.

6 Likes

Yes!! Believe in yourself!!! It all starts with YOU! Our brains are stronger then we give them credit for!! Took me a long time to realize that!!!

5 Likes

This forum is what helped me quit the most. I tried on my own countless times. I tried prescription drugs, leaving cards at home, etc. This forum had the biggest impact b/c I realized that I was not alone in my journey. I finally found a place where people understood me and are not judgmental…and also give sage advice. Good luck my friend!!!

5 Likes

That phrase is brilliant! I have never had that suggested to me before. There a lot of people that hate those phrases like keep it simple or to thine own self be true… but those sayings are what I cling to to get through one day at a time. Sometimes for me its actually one MOMENT at a time. The serenity prayer and this too shall pass are my personal life preservers. Just keep coming back!

3 Likes

I couldn’t get anywhere if I still wanted to drink deep down. Resisting was futile. Hasn’t been perfect but the change in mindset helps.

1 Like

My mom dying at home in her sleep at the age of 86. Less than 2 weeks l stop drinking, hopefully she can see me from heaven doing better

6 Likes

Actually wanting to quit helped me quit

5 Likes

AA only thing that has ever worked for me

1 Like

Definitely aa… i feel understood every time i go there . Best thing ive ever done to get help x

3 Likes