What it was like then and what it's like for us now. For those with a year of sobriety

You are welcome. Glad it resonated with you.

1 Like

Thanks for the tag Ariel, I did not expect my story to take me days to write but Iā€™ve never thought about it from the beginning until now all at once, just bits and pieces. When Iā€™m done, Iā€™ll do a cliffnotes version-itā€™s currently 4 pages typed and Iā€™m still not done lol. My life has always revolved around addictions so itā€™s a full life story. Really cool to start piecing it all together now!

These are some pretty amazing shares, great topic @Forged!

6 Likes

I imagine writing all of this must be very cathartic. I hope one day I can be in a position to write my own :blush:

3 Likes

I considered a life story, but at my age no one has time to read the whole thing and my recall of the 1960s and 70s is sketchy! As it is, mine is a short novella.

I kept going, oh right, I forgot about this or that. So much to review and ponder. Thinking about different aspects of my life is always enlightening and healing.

Relish your process Mandi. :heart:

6 Likes

Hey @SassyRocks Iā€™d read it :+1: It would need itā€™s own thread, broken down into categories or timeframes. I suspect that it would be very time-consuming to write, and Iā€™d need more than one pot of tea! :thinking:

PS I thought your novella was an incredibly inspiring read :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

It would definitely be more of a novella. However, I have found that I prefer to leave a lot of that old stuff in the past. I have done my work with it, made my peace with my decisions and laid them to rest.

2 Likes

That makes sense :+1:

1 Like

Hey Sober twin! Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your new baby. Alcohol is awful, how it sneaks up on you and before you know it youā€™re stuck. I wish you well! :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

I really enjoyed your story. Ill be re reading it a few times. This really helped me. Im back in early sobriety. Thanks.

1 Like

Hey Sober Twinā€¦ Thank you and youā€™re welcome. Sharing comes easy when youā€™re around like minded people! Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Wow. Sounds like me.

Thanks for the post. Back on day 2 but I had all the same tendencies. Hiding bottles was a full time job. 6 pack in the car everywhere. Looking forward to not having that anxiety. It must be great.

What did you do early on and what do you do now?

2 Likes

Iā€™ll edit and reply to this a bit later when I have a few min.

Ok thanks. I really related and connected with your story.

A bit anxious tonightā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not good at long winded replies, but Iā€™ll try! Iā€™m Shauna and I am an addict/alcoholic. Before recovery I was a trainwreck. I was selfish and inconsiderate. My first day of recovery was a foggy blur for me. Luckily, I was able to get treatment and that helped a ton! The first day I walked into treatment I saw another woman there and right away I knew weā€™d become very good friends. And the funny thing is, she felt the same way. We have developed an amazing friendship. Weā€™ve taught each other to be honest and loyal. Sheā€™s helped me grow into the person my higher power wanted me to become. In the beginning I was quiet. Eventually, I developed more friendships. Most of them died out, but she has also stood by my side through paws, PMS and utter bullshit! Since sobriety Iā€™ve become more open, brutally honest and authentic. I have boundaries and I respect other peopleā€™s boundaries. My relationship w my spouse is now amazing too. We communicate and I donā€™t blow up on him anymore! I respect his boundaries and give him his space as he does too. I eat healthy, sleep and stay focused. Iā€™ve also dropped a lot of weight too. My body, organs and skin are much healthier now. I no longer require alcohol and drugs to numb me out. I can cope with my problems w healthy skills now. I attend meetings and focus on servitude. Itā€™s only been a year and Iā€™m looking forward to another 24. One day at a time is how I function now. Recovery is for life. We never graduate, but we do grow if we are honest, open and willing to change. I try to stay optimistic and surround myself w positive women. I cut out toxic people and no longer settle for bullshit. I stay away from people, places and things that jeopardizes my recovery too. Thank you God for another 24šŸ˜˜

22 Likes

Itā€™s comingā€¦:grin::grin:

3 Likes

Well done everyone doing great ,friend of mine in AA has had several books published Liam Leddy he chaired me at his home group meeting a few weeks ago, when he heard my share hes asked me if i was interested in putting it down on paper my pro soccer years up to 17 when i took my first drink then 17 years to 34 drinking and now 33+ years sober still thinking about it ,

12 Likes

And are you interested ray ? X

I am speechless in reading your post. I cried. I to have woken so many days with pure shame. Dread. Anxiety. Wow. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

You are welcome. Glad it resonated with you.