What makes you an alcoholic?

For the longest time I didn’t come to terms I had a drinking problem because I could control myself while intoxicated, don’t get me wrong I have had quiet a few nights where I don’t remember what happened , but I always made sure my children were taken care , fed , bathed , dressed, fridge was full , bills were paid , the list goes on , I always made excuses to why it was okay .

Covid hit and I found myself drinking in isolation with my neighbours during the first lockdown , then that turned into drinking daily , , to the point where I was drinking 2-4 26ers a week , I would usually start between 3Pm and go until 1 -2am and haven’t stopped since (On day 2)

I have always drank at special occasions and with friends on weekends, started smoking marijuana in my 20’s , tried MDMA a few times after my 22nd birthday Then became addicted to cocaine and that addiction lasted around 8 years , beat that habit but have had a few slip ups , I was never one to even enjoy the taste of alcohol just liked that high . I have always searched for that high . But always thought it was okay because I could control myself on it.

The only time I haven’t been ‘high’ or intoxicated was when I was pregnant with my two children. I’m praying I make it through this journey not only for myself but for my children :heart:

8 Likes

Welcome Kaci
Congratulations on day 2.

After 45 years of drinking and being functional :rofl::rofl::rofl: and controlling it :rofl::rofl::rofl: I finally had enough. Thank God I’m still alive. And like you. My family and kids and wife were always provided for. Never lost a job or got arrested etc……. I wish I didn’t wait 45 years to become sober. But that’s not me any more. This is a great place to get and give support. My strongest tool and thread is gratitude. I got way too much to be grateful for when I’m sober. And nothing when I’m drinking.

Have a good read around. Join in when your comfortable.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

What makes me an alcoholic? I cannot simply have 1. 1 will always lead to way to many.

That was me. I could always explain why I was ok. Looking back, I never was.

7 Likes

Welcome! Congrats on day 2! While the first few days and even weeks is the hardest, stick with it, you will find it is worth it! Sobriety was the best thing I have done for myself, my kids, my wife and everyone that is in my life. I am positive you will find the the same!

To answer your question, take a look at this thread.

6 Likes

If drinking is controlling your life and making it unbearable and you cant go a day without it, then you have a drink problem but only you can say your a Alcoholic and meetings will help with that question wish you well

3 Likes