What's the worst thing you do when you've been drinking?

By far not the worst, but as I was traveling today, I was reminded of how I have missed two flights in my life - both due to drunkenness. And then of course lied to the friends and family that I had let down as a result of the missed flights.

Oh manā€¦

Missed job interviews, family functions, lost jobs.

Cheated on my wife, even leaving once for three months for someone who was drinking like me.

DUI, luckily no one hurt.

Embarrassed myself by falling, yelling, crying, etc

Spent rent money at the bar. Stole money from friends and family to drink.

Goes on and on. When I drank, I binged to blackout. No in between. Long story short, I was a huge douchebag shit show who you probably did not want in your house, car, or place of business.

Idk if it was supposed to be but typing that small amount of bad shit actually helped me steel my decision to quit and quit for good. I never want that filth in my body again.

2 Likes

Good. After reading this entire thread (it was hard and brought up lots of memories that I would have preferred to forget) I started making a private list for myself. It was intense and I had to walk away from it after only getting through 3 (out of 20) years. Iā€™ll return to it eventually. Itā€™s a good reminder whenever anyone asks ā€œare you really an alcoholic?ā€/ā€œdo you really have a problem?ā€. I donā€™t share the list with anyone, but I know whatā€™s on it, which is such a good reminder for me about why I canā€™t drink.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea. Iā€™m not too far into my sobriety but itā€™ll be a solid reminder of everything I donā€™t want to ever be again. There is not one thing I can think of that I would do sober that Iā€™ve done drunk. Ive got about 8.5 years I can look back and try to remember as much as I can. Iā€™m gonna make that one of my goals this week.

Text my exā€™s screwed up things I donā€™t mean, Sext and send nudes to people I shouldnā€™t, blow up and say horrible hurtful things to people I care about.

I also am prone to buy things online. Gives me buyers remorse the next day. But worse for me is just not being there for my family. I get very defensive and say hurtful things if confronted. Feeling in total control while actually having none.:pensive:

Sleep with strangers, or worse - friends.

Blackoutā€¦a lot

Get lost walking home from super far distances.

Fall over.

Tried to punch a guy I had a thing with.

Drink n drive

Drunk dial guys I had crushes on

Got dropped off at guys houses I had crushes on unannounced

Slept with friends exes :frowning:

Cheated

Funny thing is, Iā€™m a total prude in my sober life.

1 Like

Whine and cry hard about how dificult my life and job are. Drunk drive, got a DUI a while ago, smashed into a road sign going on to an on ramp. Hit my man a few times (our relationship was violent for a while, heā€™s been sober from his substance almost 2 years). Tore myself apart mentally. Drank until I had heartburn so bad it made me gag. Ate everything. Online shopping for bullshit. Cried and cried and ugly cried some more. Slurred my words when trying to argue like an idiot. Used to steal money a long time ago. Iā€™m not a fan of that girl.

2 Likes

Feel this hard.

1 Like

Slept on the street, because I couldnā€™t find my way home.
Fought a stranger over a piece of pizza.
Ran my car into a boulder. totalled.
Physically and emotionaly abused my loved one.
Tattoos.
Talked back to Police.
Outed my brother at a family gathering.
Many blackouts.
Kicked out of bars.
Gone to work drunk.
Pissed myself.
Broken phones.

Man, I was an idiot!

2 Likes

I would crash into things with my car, porto-pottys, walls, taxicabs (just a few bumps though)ā€¦at a traffic lightā€¦run over traffic cones and the worst was a barricade that shattered my windshield and very luckily didnt make it all the way thru. Woulda killed me for sure. And this is just in my car. Never got a dwi though, which is probably why I kept doing what I was doing.
Fights, girlsā€¦not fights with girls mind youā€¦and thru it all, thinking I was ok, no problems here. Oh yeah, got arrested twice for fightingā€¦ in the same townā€¦in NJā€¦and ive only been to this town 2xā€¦ once again though, I was ok. But to explain the fights, I wasnt an angry drunk, more of a superhero drunk, stepping in where i shouldnt have, trying to helpā€¦but drunk. Ok enough for now.

2 Likes

Came across this postā€¦so many familiar situationsā€¦hope this to be a reminder for me to continue on this journey of soberity. The choice of life over death asā€¦God knows I want a life of peace and healthā€¦

So here goes

Drinking in driving(sometimes with kuds on car)
Missing work
Physically and verbally abusiveā€¦to kids dad
Fighting with others
Being carried out of club
Strippingā€¦unsafe sexual situatons
Not paying rentā€¦billsā€¦etc
Using kids piggy bank $ for drinks etc
Missing impt family eventsā€¦bday partiesā€¦baby showers etcā€¦more to add

Drive drunkā€¦I am ao ashamed and heartbroken to think of the times I couldā€™ve hurt or killed someone and thank God everday I didnā€™t.

ā€œHooked upā€ with people I never wouldā€™ve sober. I got pregnant by someone while still married and I ended up having an abortion, which still haunts me to this day. Needless to say we are no longer married. I screwed that one up.

I also am a truth-teller when drunk. I one time said something really offensive to someone and couldnā€™t remember it, then found out she hated and didnā€™t know why. I have since apologized to her.

Broken trust, allowed my kids to see me drunk (I can only imagine the scars I put on their hearts) lost countless friends and now I donā€™t have any. Oh and too many blackouts to even mention.

Man some of these things Iā€™ve never told anyone. While I write tears are welling up in my eyes. I shake my head and think how absolutely stupid Iā€™ve been. I started drinking at age 13 and I am now 46.

3 Likes

Ive done alot of stuff i wish i didnt do, crazy stuff. Probably alot i dont remember too. For years.

But what I think is the worst the latest years, is to have been a mummy with hangover and waisted so much time laying feeling sick while the kids are in front of the tv. When we could have made some beautiful days instead. That is my biggest regret.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t going to reply because just thinking about it all makes me feel embarrassed and uncomfortable but then I realize Iā€™m trying to get better so saying it out in the open should really be more of a reminder of exactly WHY I didnā€™t drink today.

One of the biggest things I did is go to work wasted. I probably havenā€™t been to work 100% sober at any of my jobs past and present for more than a few days at a time for YEARS, I mean like, 10 years, itā€™s just ridiculous. I mostly drank in the morning figuring ā€œWelp, I gotta get a buzz on now to make it through the dayā€ which turns into me drinking so much that by the time I got to work I was so effed up they just send me home. Iā€™ve blacked out at work, fallen and split my eyebrow open, had to be brought home.

I get sexual when I drink and have cheated on boyfriends with a stranger, as well as their friends. Iā€™ve hooked up with my own friends boyfriends.

I argue and get vicious with people for no real reason, have left bars with random guys and not remembered what happened, I online shop for nonsense with money I donā€™t have, stolen other peopleā€™s alcohol and pretended I had no idea where it went even though I knew it was no secret to anyone, Iā€™ve pissed the bed, threw up only to drink and repeat until I black outā€¦

Itā€™s hard to think I would want to keep doing what drives me to do those things for so long. But today is just day 5 sober so if thinking about it and writing it out helps me get to day 6 then so be it!

6 Likes

A whole lot of driving drunk. In fact right before I quit drinking I crashed my motorcycle twice in the span of ten days. I ended up with a concussion on my concussion. Frankly Iā€™m lucky to be alive. Thankfully it was the wake up I needed ti finally pull the trigger and get serious about my recrovery.

1 Like

Call all my loved ones threatening to kill myself. Running away and make people worry about me unnecessarily.

The worst thing I do when Iā€™ve been drinking is ignore my family. Iā€™m too focused on drinking to pay any attention to anyone else. This disease is truly selfish.

3 Likes

The worst thing I do when Iā€™m drinking is go find other drugs! My brain tells me, ā€œDo all the things!ā€

1 Like

I did this too. Would zone out on my phone or would drink when it was time to catch up on my favorite shows.

1 Like