When your brain tells you it will be different this time you will be able to control it šŸ¤”

This is when my mind tells me itā€™s not as bad as you think that Iā€™m overreacting I will be able to have a few drinks and stop I wonā€™t take cocaine I will just have 4 beers and that will be it never works out like that I need to remind myself I have never took a few drinks and stopped I drink for 4 days always need to be on my guard when these thoughts crop up

19 Likes

Good youā€™re here talking about your crazy brain Dave. We all have one and at times it will come up with crazy stuff like this. Good you recognize it for what it is. Thanks for sharing, together we will beat this lunacy one crave at a time.

8 Likes

Happens with me and alcohol/dxm all the time. One second Iā€™m 2 beers in next second Iā€™m getting woken up at 10 am by the cops or falling asleep in a walgreens parking lot and, again, getting the cops called on me. Have come to the conclusion Iā€™m one of those people who will never be able to moderate alcohol and a couple other drugs. (I do have one drug that I am able to moderate myself with mostly because I donā€™t have much/constant access to it would rather not disclose since this forum is more focused on total sobriety.)

4 Likes

Thatā€™s youā€™re addiction talking. My addict brain says the similar things. Talk louder. Deep down you know the truthā™„ļø

6 Likes

My brain does it all the time, has even tried in the past 2 weeks since Iā€™ve been here. I try to convince myself if I drink a couple glasses of wine, I will be fine. BUT, as history has shown me, I drink the wine, drive to the store for vodka and drink for days. Hasnā€™t worked for me yet :blush:

7 Likes

Never listen to the lies the alcoholic voice tells you!

It will say anything to get you back to drinking, any trick!

It will put you down, build you up tell you itā€™s deserved. Anything.

Donā€™t listen

8 Likes

Yes itā€™s just a lie wanting me to relapse happens now and Again I will never believe that lie again :pray:t2:

5 Likes

I can relate. Even today I caught myself thinking about a couple drinksā€¦like wtf 11 days ago when I used cocaine and meth I thought I was going to die and now today my minds saying a couple drinks wonā€™t hurt. Well I know what will come with it and cocaine wonā€™t be far behind. I might skip the cocaine one day but the next time I drink it would be involved somehow. I hate my mind.

8 Likes

I feel this 100%. It usually takes about 5 days for me to basically forget about how bad it was. Itā€™s incredible how our minds can ā€œforgetā€ :frowning:

7 Likes

Good job coming on here and talking aboutā€¦there are many threads about people who tried and failed

4 Likes

Good for you for coming here Dave! Opening up and sharing is helpful. :innocent:

Be gentle with yourself and maybe do something nice tonight instead. Cookies? Binge your fave show? Order pizza?

Take care Dave - keep it up! :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks I went for a burger then went to the gym so just relaxing now feeling better thanks for everyoneā€™s comments always helps :pray:t2:

6 Likes

A Favorite trick my brain loves to use is ā€œNobody will knowā€.

I donā€™t answer to anyone but me. :rofl:. Good game brainā€¦

6 Likes

I hear you. Iā€™ve been tricked many times before. Never too long before moderation slides into a problem.

4 Likes

A constant struggle. My mind has been BSing me a lot lately, making me believe Iā€™d enjoy a drink here and there, and that I wonā€™t end up drunk, Iā€™d just have ā€œone or twoā€ ā€¦ which might be the case initially, but I know, once I open that door again it wonā€™t be long before I am drunk ā€¦then regretful, hungover, sick, depressed, hurting, shameful and miserable. So, Iā€™m not listening. My life has become infinitely better because I donā€™t drink. I try to remember that truth. Not this BS in my head, telling me Iā€™m ā€œfineā€ and to not be so worried about shit and to just live life, easy breezy :roll_eyes: well, life is a whole lot more ā€˜easy-breezyā€™ now BECAUSE Iā€™m not drinking alcohol. Itā€™s hard tho. Battling yourself - the mind - like this. :pensive:

8 Likes

My mind says ā€˜just the oneā€™ or ā€˜have a halfā€™

Itā€™s very convincingā€¦ but i will talk louder than that till i find peace

Have a good day folks

1 Like

This is so true. I was listening to an interview with Joe Namath and he talked about this exact thing. His sponsor told him that intervoice deserves a name. He calls him ā€œslick.ā€

2 Likes

I love this, I will be thinking of a name for mine!

1 Like

I agree with all that has been said and this crazy addiction monkey brain has been through so much loss and grief and wreckage and then the time sober again and again and the length of time has differed but itā€™s always there and just waiting lurking for the right situation the right timing the right opportunity and those are the times that the battles are at itā€™s fiercest and need to be won inside the self inside this monkey brain of mine and the hardest thing is unlearning retraining this lifelong series of reactions methods of dealing with etc that has been learned and trained by this alcoholic brain. I feel all your truthful words they resonate and they help. God bless you all. I am 18 days sober and I continue minute by minute

5 Likes

This is exactly what I needed. I have now learned that ā€œjust oneā€ can be removed from my vocabulary. Never the case, and when I slide itā€™s a long slide. Hell, I wished there was a pause button on here, I was so sick of hitting reset this week. Been about 5 days but really excited to read this and start over with another weapon in my toolbox.

2 Likes