Why do I keep doing this to myself?

What do you recommend? I live in Colorado. I tried AA one time and didnā€™t last very long unfortunately. Did you ever get Shakes, muscles seizing up and tingling? Iā€™m afraid my body has had a lot of damage done, some day binge drinking can be even more damaging? @Dan531

Medically supervised detox will help in this case. You can find options here:

Take care and never give up. You deserve a safe, sober life where you can be free of these chains, and be your full self.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for being so kind and helpful @Matt did you ever get any of these symptoms? They always scare me like even right now being sober all of today, well I had to sober up all day because of my Bing episode last night. But even right now I can tell my blood circulation is trying to recover as well. I also havenā€™t been able to eat anything still yet. I need to try and get my body body accept some food before I go to bed.

2 Likes

I am not recovering from alcohol so I do not have those symptoms myself. I know from my conversations with people here in recovery from alcohol that when those types of symptoms appear, it is advisable to seek medical help.

Be gentle with yourself. Hot water? Tea? Apple juice? You are sick. Physically sick. Treat your body gently and feed it what it can take :innocent:

And seek support. You cannot do this alone - I promise you. You need help.

1 Like

Hi Ivan. Welcome to TS. Great community here to support you. There are lots of resources for recovery threads that can help you start this journey, but I donā€™t know how to link them. Also, if AA didnā€™t work for you, there are other sobriety communities to check out. Just google to find more info.

2 Likes

I got it! :innocent:

Online meeting resources

Resources for our recovery

You are the best, Matt! :pray:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for being kind and reaching out to my post @LeeHawk may I ask what your story is? I hope the damage i have done to my body can be recovered from and i have not lost time on earth with my beautiful daughter who is only going to be 2 this summer

1 Like

I should do those things. I really hope the damage I have done though can be fully recovered recovered and hasnā€™t shortened my time on earth with my beautiful baby girl who will only be 2 this summer. I have very bad anxiety and even right now and am very anxious and hope my body can recover once again. The worst I ever experienced was ending up in the hospital and having my stomach pumped, catheter and a machine breathing for me years ago. I thought that would be my last wake up call.

1 Like

Absolutely. Iā€™ve struggled with alcohol for years. At the end, I was getting sick from it. I drank all day, everyday. Not a binge drinker. Iā€™m 80 days sober after relapsing constantly. Even after rehab, I relapsed all through the pandemic, but still got a lot from rehab. I attend AA and The Luckiest Club meetings via zoom daily. I listen occasionally to sobriety podcasts and have read a ton of quit lit. My children are age 17 and 14. Matt posted the helpful links. I would start there. Iā€™m rooting for you!

4 Likes

I wish health insurance was more affordable, I miss having a therapist once I found the right one. It helped a lot and with insurance being so expensive I am at the mercy of relying on myself I I like to do better, get sober and stay sober, especially for my daughters sake. Sheā€™s my whole world and I need to start taking care of myself so I can be around a very long time for her. I just hope the damage Iā€™ve done from Bing drinking hasnā€™t shortened my time with her, I often get very anxious and scared from my muscles siezing up, tingling in my hands legs etc. The morning after my night of random Bing drinking episode will be the death of me. Thank you for sharing your post.

2 Likes

Are you employed? Is there an EAP (Employee Assistance Program)? These can provide funding. Do you have family or a church that could help fund some? This is no time to be ashamed. You need to search for sobriety the same way a person searches for water in the desert. You need it to live.

Search, call, ask, check, call another place, check, and do not ever give up until you find what you are looking for. Even the places that are paid, the people may have some ideas of where you can look.

And:
AA is free.
SMART Recovery is free.
Celebrate Recovery is free.
Dharma Recovery is free.
The dozens of other recovery groups. All are free. And with the online options theyā€™re happening 24 hours a day. Thereā€™s one happening right now that you can join - explore some of the links here and youā€™ll find one where you can get help. Many of the people in these meetings have been in exactly the same situation as you:
Online meeting resources

Has this worked before? Be honest. Why are you trying to do it alone?

1 Like

@Ivan1991 - how are you doing?

1 Like

Ivan how are you doing today?

Thank you for sharing with me, I hope we can all Mae it through this nightmare that never seems to end. I went on a long walk with my sister who is visiting and we had a long good talk. Sheā€™s always been very supportive and is going to try and convince my parents to let me stay till August 1st/September 1st instead of July 1st which isnā€™t a lot of time for someone who is a full time student and working, even though my episode the other night caused me to miss my training days for Amazon so now I will be out of a job there Iā€™m pretty sure. Especially since I donā€™t have a contact info for them. And I know Iā€™m going to need proof of income for an apartment or even a house soā€¦

2 Likes

Hey @Matt Iā€™m doing good today. Thank you so much for checking in on me, i apologize for the slow response, Iā€™m a single father so between that and being a full time student my life is hectic. How are you doing today?

2 Likes

Good overall. Today the weather was lovely and I was grateful for the chance to take a walk in the forest with my wife. Today was also a bit emotionally intense for me today because I lost my perspective a bit during a conversation with my wife about our finances. Weā€™re in reasonable shape but we had a difference of perspective on the questions we were considering. Itā€™s weird how some topics are so raw for me. Before I wouldnā€™t have bothered even reviewing them; but now that Iā€™m taking responsibility for my life I am finding I have to come to consensus with my wife and that requires listening and communicating effectively, and maintaining my emotional balance. It isnā€™t always easy :innocent:

Hi i am ian and i am an addict so i seen this topic and was like wow that is meā€¦so i was sober 2 two years i felt the freeing feeling that the program of aa talks about i know what it is like to feel comfortable in my own skin march 16th 2 days after an amazing family trip to Disney i reward my family with finding me dead of an overdose swell guy aint i so i wake up in hospital family is fed up with me and my family is wife and step daughter. Like i said they fed up so i am at hospital alone lungs bleeding because they had to beat on my chest so far.and i wake up finally and because i cant smoke i ama from the hospital so everyone thought i new i had drugs at home how sick is that i just die and i am worried about getting highā€¦that is the crazy part about before you even know it you are not in controlā€¦anyways wife wanted me to leave my home and know if i got help i couldā€™ve stayedā€¦ I chose to go on a cross country trip to get highā€¦till i hit Chicago on the greyhound bout something that made me feel like my skin was crawling so i made driver pull over in Nebraska somewhereā€¦ I litterly could not leave hotel room and when i was able to i was on the huntā€¦few days later i go to Denver and yea i got what i wanted since my overdose i didnt stop until 11 days ago i am doing a 90 in 90 i feel so great after a meeting i meet with a new sponsor tomorrow i just need home group and service positionā€¦but i have that fear of failure. Of letting people down. How can i control these feelings? Has anyone made it past these feelingsā€¦how?? Please help i dont wanna be a statisticā€¦

1 Like

Control is one of the things we struggle with in addiction. We donā€™t have control over most things in life. What we do control, is our decisions, to use or not to use.

The feelings come and go like waves on the ocean. You learn to ā€œride the waveā€, to surf your way across the emotion. Meetings (AA, NA, etc) are a great place to learn this.

1 Like

I guess I felt like that because health insurance has always been hard to come by these days. As well being a full time student while trying to work full time doing temp jobs, good health insurance doesnā€™t seem to be made affordable for all of us, rather affordable to the ā€œhigherā€ status per say. But todayā€™s been a great day. Went to the gym this morning, been spending time with my daughter watching angry birds with her haha. She loves waking up every morning and watching it first thing in her breakfast.

2 Likes