Wild animals we adore

You know that’s a snapping turtle and it can cleave a thumb as soon as look at you? We get one or two each Spring, as they migrate from their winter homes in the mud of the brook up to the vernal pools in the forest behind our place. They’re the females going to lay eggs. When we find one in or near the road, I get the snow shovel out and scoop them up to move them along.

I had a dog once that sat on one - she jumped at least 18 inches straight up when the turtle took offense!

The regular migration of female snapping turtles between home ranges and nesting sites suggests that these animals are capable of complex navigation, in some cases involving overland travel of at least 0.5 km through dense forest and undergrowth and over uneven terrain.
Nesting Migrations of the Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina), Martyn E. Obbard and Ronald J. Brooks, Herpetologica Vol. 36, No. 2 (Jun., 1980), pp. 158-162

4 Likes

Must be hot! The squirrel is splooting!

1 Like

Haha yup. Hubby scooched it along with his steel toed work boot. Little guy knows to be safe around them too and keeps his distance. I’ve seen folks throw a blanket or sweater over them and quickly lift them to safety off the roads. In more populated tittle areas, we have turtle crossing signs.
Some areas, people assist with nesting boxes too

Since every time I see a squirrel now I think of you.

I’m naming this one.

Wait for it……

Shaunda :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Look at the launch! Lol i love those squirrels! I havent seen many of mine lately, ive been at work unfortunately :confused: :joy: on my days off i watch for them though.

Shaunda is a pretty kewl name :wink::grin:

2 Likes

8 Likes

9 Likes

15 Likes

14 Likes

I feel like rocky is still hanging around just knocking up all the ladies. Now theres a new prego squirrel living in the back side of the place. She sure looks prego to me qith that belly and swollen teets.

7 Likes

My favorite bird!

1 Like

Probably just a really big dog. Maybe coyote.

11 Likes

I was curious so I just went on a Google search of animal tracks :joy: Google agrees with you that it is a coyote

4 Likes

This right here is why i threw a little on the ground. Shes greedy though and now theres a ton on the ground from her dumping the feeder. :rofl:

Yes… im watching you! :eyes:

8 Likes

Looked out the back window and at first I thought this was a rock that got kicked out into the grass

8 Likes

Awwwww hey there little peter cotton tail :heart_eyes:

1 Like

From the aquarium we went to this past weekend. I love ocean animals

6 Likes

Look at this guy just chilling on my house. I’m pretty sure I freaked it out trying to get the picture because that’s when it looked at me :eyes:

11 Likes

Wild at one point counts, yes?

9 Likes

Found a salamander while cleaning the yard, it was just salameandering around. Penny wasn’t sure about it. I’ve always had a fondness to these littls guys.

15 Likes