Women's hormonal roller-coaster

I also experienced this. Amazing, I completely forgot about it but yes, that was me too :woman_facepalming:
One of the big advantages of not drinking alcohol is not having this horrendous hangovers after such bingeing plus: For me the pms craving/bingeing decreased with onsetting menopause. Now they are fairly gone.
But surprise surprise! After half a year of freedom I started again bleeding today. Now I know why my backpain was through the roof for the last two days. Keeping fingers crossed that this episode is the famous last period that hits you when you think all is over :grimacing::crazy_face:
Yes, beeing a female human sometimes can suck :grin:

2 Likes

I’m on Day 18 and noticing that my hot flushes have all but disappeared! At 53, l am still getting the odd one, especially if l am emotionally upset, but nothing like when l was actively drinking!
It’s just another positive to note down when l’m thinking of picking up that 1st drink.

Has anyone else out there noticed a decline in hot/cold flushes?

4 Likes

Oh yes, hot flushes where awful no matter how much I drank, one glass would be enough. Without alcohol they decreased markedly in intensitiy and quantity.

1 Like

Not trying to be a jerk, but for a male it’s pretty interesting to read about. Lol

5 Likes

Not a jerk at all! It is interesting and I think a lot of women don’t fully understand and appreciate the huge impact hormones have on our minds and bodies. Of course not everyone has the same experiences etc and the impacts might not be as significant for some people.

Better understanding is helpful for developing a compassionate response :blush:

Or this :joy:

10 Likes

You are welcome! As @siand said it can build bridges and lead to better understanding to know more about the impact of hormones. E.g. my husband always hugs and pats me when I come and whine that I’m a hormone victim and feel bääähhhh. That’s lovely and we go through my menopause together - the more I tell him how I feel and how it’s effecting me, the better he can be supportive - or turn tail and run. Which is perfectly ok sometimes :grin:

3 Likes

Alcohol definitely increased my hot flashes, night sweats and overall side effects in perimenopause and menopause. Getting sober and physical activity can help immensely when navigating through this transition.

2 Likes

I recall how challenging the hormonal shifts were for myself and my husband in my early perimenopause. My moods were all over, like a teenager. It is a blessing to get through that…for us both. :heart:

2 Likes

I have been checking on my thyroid in the last 3 months without a diagnosis. In the end the doc recommended me taking iodine and zinc. I am taking these supplements and selenium as well. I cannot say much but for now I have a much better mood and am not freezing at all. I will have to watch this over some cycles but I will definitely stick to it.

5 Likes

I experienced the same: Better mood after medicated for hypothyreosis. Also less depression, more energy and in general feeling more capable to deal with life. Forcing this medication (the diagnosis followed long time after :roll_eyes:) was one of the best decision in my life.

1 Like

The doc refuses a medication. It’s complicated. I have low ft3 and 4 and TSH in the low levels and hypophysis is working normal. So the problem is elsewhere and can be everywhere. :see_no_evil::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I have completely “normal” levels, had them also before medication. Nonetheless a daily dose of 75 microgram Euthyrox makes the difference between depressive, exhausted up to attempting suicide and living happy and resilient.

1 Like

It’s good you have someone prescribing it to you :innocent::pray:

1 Like

I tend to be very convincing, especially with doctors :smiling_imp::hammer::axe::hammer_and_pick::crossed_swords:

5 Likes

Oh, that’s so sweet :heart: that your husband supports you in your menopause journey. I personally,have never,l mean never, had my menopause struggles even acknowledged, let alone supported. Very 1950s approach-sad!

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that :hugs:
Well, my husband lives with me so he also lives with my changing conditions. He of course could ignore them but that would be very very unhealthy … :grin:

4 Likes

Some wonderful replies thank you.

Well it’s day 13 AF. Hormones are also kicking in as stated on my first post. 2 weeks fine 2 weeks NOT.

I’m ticking alot of the things off we spoke of as ideas. I’m exercising more including the gym, swimming and walks. I’ve started taking inositol, a pro biotic and a general multivitamin for women.

This month is going to be the toughest as I don’t think 2 weeks is enough for any of the above to kick in and help me in time for the hormone circus. It may however take the edge off.

I feel anxious today after a few positive weeks. That’s how it begins. I am going to stay on track just thought I’d vent it here. Problem shared and all.

Hugs to all x

5 Likes

I think it can be helpful to just remember that it’s OK to feel sad, mad, all over the place etc. It will pass and over time you will find new ways to respond. Things will change. Just got to ride the waves and see where they take you! :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Thanks @siand . That’s actually a very positive way to look at it. If there is no fix right now just go with it. Certainly a new way to approach it. I do keep telling myself I have nothing to worry about right now. The anxiety is not for a reason even though I keep looking for one. It’s just a silly thing that’s there due to hormones flying in and it will pass. Nothing bad will happen. Thank you

3 Likes

Day 1, finally. Feeling okay. Actually not as bad as normally. I will keep taking the iodine and zinc. And will cut down the soyproducts as my cycle get unpredictable longer.

2 Likes