Women's hormonal roller-coaster

Okay all, I bought the ClearBlue menopause kit to see if I could self diagnose my stage since I am 45 in a few months and having two full periods a month. I also bought one for each of my besties and passed them out at our Christmas party because I love a lab test.

This is not an endorsement for the product just another tool in my fact finding mission. I’m still in pre-menopause according to the tested hormone levels. I think I will attribute the two periods a month to stabilization of hormones after a 25 year span of drinking and I’ll let my provider test my levels at my next annual exam.

This was kind of a freeing experience. It was easy to blame any symptoms on “I’m old” or “its probably menopause”. This just means I have more work to do on my moods and my activity levels in general. Onward!

6 Likes

Im very happy now since i got my HRT and it really helps with perimenopausal symptoms (sweats, heatwaves, joint aches, insomnia and godzilla moods). Was very against artificial hormones, but boxed the compass after months of trial. I don’t need more stress in my life, so this will do for now.

7 Likes

May I ask in which form you are taking HRT?

4 Likes

Just to say ladies that I am nearing my period and I FEEL OUT OF MY MIND WITH IRRITATION. :disappointed:

3 Likes

Not sure if people will see this since it’s an old post and TMI warning: only for women!:sweat_smile:

My first period since being sober (one month today) is so heavy :sob: anyone else experience this? Geesh. No wonder I’ve had bad migraines lately.

4 Likes

Safe spot here to chat about it if you’d like. My first few were dangerous to my sobriety due to the mood swings. It gets better.

We are fairly active here.

2 Likes

I would be lost without my tracking app. I use Flo and it helps me realize I am not approaching insanity, just another cycle. Hang in there.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

My periods were really heavy for 3 months when I quit drinking. I changed my tampons several times a day but then my 4th month my periods were back to normal. It’s crazy and messy but hopefully yours will be back to normal soon too :hugs:

3 Likes

This is really interesting. My periods have been heavy the last few months. I hadn’t linked it to stopping drinking, thought maybe it was a middle-age thing ! Hopefully it’ll settle down soon as it’s, erm, high maintenance :flushed: x

3 Likes

Hi Ladies, I moved all recent posts to this thread since it’s much more active. I hope you all don’t mind.

5 Likes

Perfect, thank you :heart: x

2 Likes

I’m sure it will settle down. I asked other women who have stopped drinking if their periods were as heavy as mine and they all said they went through it too. My periods have been normal since then so I’m praying yours will settle down too :hugs:

6 Likes

Just putting this here as I continue to adapt to my ever-changing menopausal self :wink:

:orange_heart:

11 Likes

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Love this so much :heart::hugs:

1 Like

Thank you Meka :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart: X

1 Like

My moods today.

6 Likes

Hello and sorry for a late reply. The forms i have ended up to use (after some trials) are hormone plasters (estrogen/progesterone) and estrogen gel as additional treatment. Ive learned that allthough the trend of estrogen is decrease, during perimenopause ones own hormonal system generates estrogen spikes which makes it more puzzling. So the doses need constant adjusting. So, even if you find out that some form suits you, it might not suit you forever, cause levels are changing monthly and long term. People are individuals in what medication works best. Only thing I can say hrt is worth a try if nothing else works :+1:

2 Likes

I’m currently using an estrogen gel and progesterone capsules. As you said the spikes and sudden changes are making this time so very trying. HRT is definitely helping. But I am still trying to find a good way of dosing this stuff.
I think I’m going to research those plasters.

Many thanks for your answer!

3 Likes