Working at a bar, sober

Tonight I made it through my first shift at work without drinking. I came home and didn’t stumble around, make a mess, puke on anything. Sounds small but holy shit I’m proud of myself. I got a new job and am phasing out of the bar life. Been bartending 15+years and it’s obviously been the biggest trigger; the whole “hang out in a barber shop long enough, you’re bound to get a haircut” bullshit.

I’m only in my first week (this time around) but…baby steps.

9 Likes

Hey girl I appreciate the mindset! Mind over matter, but also tempting the devil for a matter of time can only lead too trouble I’m here if you need a friend. I refuse to get a job at all at this point in my sobriety but I’m blessed to be able not to work right now and focus on myself. Most don’t have that opportunity. Take the proud feeling and run with it, a sense of self accomplishment is important, relying on scripture has been my saving Grace

3 Likes

Thank you so much :heart: I appreciate that more than you know. And I know you’re right, can’t be temped like this for too long or I’m gonna crash and burn (again). I’m so stoked for a new job that has ZERO to do with booze and I won’t be surrounded by it and all my drunk friends constantly. Excited for something new. And a new me. We got this :muscle:

2 Likes

Good for you Shelby! It feels good to have that presence in life again, not stumbling around numb to the world. We get lost in our addictions but when we decide to get clear and let them go, we reconnect with who we really are. It’s a nice feeling :innocent:

Welcome to Talking Sober! :wave: This place is a great place to hang out for people in recovery. For me it’s really helped me feel like I belong. Read around and I’m sure you’ll find lots of threads where you can read, share, and connect :innocent: These are some of my faves:

Checking in daily to maintain focus #39

Resources for our recovery

Post photos of your pets #4

Where my cat people?

Coffee mugs :coffee:

See you around!

5 Likes

Hi Shelby! Baby steps is honestly such a great start and from there it just gets better :slight_smile: I am rooting for you and just know that there are so many people in this community that will be more than happy to encourage and support you, me being one! Glad you are here :relaxed::black_heart:

3 Likes

Hi Shelby and welcome :raising_hand_woman:
Read around and share if you like. It’s a nice community here with people all in the same boat.
We all know where you are going trough.
So don’t be shy to ask for help :sunglasses:
We are all here to help!

See you around and congratulations with your day 1 :confetti_ball::tada::confetti_ball:

2 Likes