You are getting old when

Even 7 numbers where the good Ol days. In my hometown everyone’s numbers started with 744. So I might as well have been 4 numbers because that’s all you had to remember was the last 4.
My number was 744-0866. The garage phone was 744-2881. Lol

3 Likes

My great grandmother still uses her’s even though we have all tried to buy her a cordless phone…
She used to be on a “Party Line” if anyone knows what that is…
You used to pick up the phone and old women were talking already, you had to say excuse me this is ******, I need to use the phone.
Some of you have to know what that was??? I’m only 35

9 Likes

I remember party lines…our neighbor would eves drop all the time.

9 Likes

You heard a Billy Squier song, remember how you rocked out to “Don’t Say No” in 1981, and immediately went on-line and bought it.

2 Likes

My grandparents had a party line. Each party had a separate ring. Theirs was a long ring.

3 Likes

I was young when she still had it but I would do the same.:joy::joy:!!!
@Yoda-Stevie I don’t remember a different ring I just remember her always yelling if you didn’t answer “Hello, this is the -INSERT LAST NAME”

1 Like

We had one like this in “mustard yellow” bleh…

1 Like

We lived in Boston, so maybe we had the “fancy” party line. My aunt across the street had one too. Her ring was one short, one long, one short.

You never picked up on the first ring. You waited until you heard it cycle to make sure it was for you. If you picked it up accidentally, figured out it wasn’t for you and hung up, the caller had to call back to get their party. You could be on the phone and someone wouldn’t check to see if the line was clear, and would just start dialing. Clikity clack clickety clack.

So glad my mom had a private line. We had one phone, in the pantry with a knotted up cord from my sister stretching it all the way to her room.

3 Likes

Weighed a ton, indestructible. Drop it on your toe, walk with a limp.

2 Likes

Dude not even kidding, someone on my Facebook literally YESTERDAY traded in his pager for a cell phone…I had NO idea they still had these things!!!

6 Likes

And you know you’re old when you walk around outside with NO pants or underwear on. When you’re 91 apparently there are zero fucks given! :joy::rofl::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And yes, she is of complete “sound” mind!!!

4 Likes

What? Sometimes you just want to feel the air and be free. Of course if you do so within 500 feet of a school or playground you are looking at some time.

3 Likes

I showed up at my grammas for my weekly “just us” night and when I got her mail, I turned around and she was leaning into her van for something and I said omg. She has no pants on!! Just a sweatshirt. Had just gotten her hair done earlier too so she looked nice from the top half up! So I said what are you doing with no pants on gramma? Well I heard you pull in and I needed to make sure you got my groceries out of the van. I’m on it, go inside! As she walks up the steps I see she doesnt even have underwear on! Lmao! :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

I’m still giggling my ass off about it today. Freaking love that woman!! Never know what she is going to do or say next! I said gramma, you don’t know if someone liked what they saw-don’t be giving those boys out there any ideas…Her response? Well Manda, it’s been a while and I could be a cougar so… :joy::grin::rofl:

5 Likes

This made me spit latte on my shirt.:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Tide pens are great for that! :grin:

4 Likes

I do remember! I’m 48 though; can’t believe they still had those 13 years later. I would have been a teenager by the time they stopped using those… :thinking::dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Im sure they were phased out by then but my great grandmother lives in a “Blink and you drove Past town” She shared 1 with a few neighbors across the street. She also has an outhouse that can still be used til this day.

1 Like

There’s a corn cob with an electric plug hanging from it mounted on the wall in Outhouse. I’m still not sure how to use it, guess it’s like the 3shells from Demolition Man!!

2 Likes

My sisters and I would listen to the party line for entertainment at grandmas. Listening to small town drama was more fun than watching guiding light with our mom every afternoon!

4 Likes