You are missed #3

You’re welcome! I’m proud of you. :heart:
It’s still a bit “well, surviving”, but not giving up. :muscle:t2: This time my demons will not win!

4 Likes

OH That is what i like to hear - you are stronger than the addiction and you will overcome! Way to go!!! :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you a lot!! :heart:

2 Likes

I was wondering the same. @zzz , we’re waiting for your return…

7 Likes

@Binx hows it going? Been a few days and that’s not like you - just making sure you are ok.

4 Likes

Hey lovely :rose:

Oh I’ve been about, managing maybe a post or two per day. I’ve been a bit busy offline, but I’m still AF :muscle:

As you might remember my eldest boy has been having all kinds of health trouble lately. Still no word from hospital about an appointment for the growth. Honestly, I think they want you to die first before they have to give you an appointment in this country :woman_facepalming:

That issue has been a little in the shade though, as they hospital picked up on something in his blood. They have just sent off for a more advanced test on his blood, because they are almost certain he has Haemochromatosis. I’m still in shock, it’s not curable. Effectively he will spend the rest of his life getting blood out to reduce iron. Apparently if it’s untreated it can cause organ failures and even death. I don’t know what to do with what’s inside my head right now. Old me would have drowned this noise with alcohol. I’m not in danger of slipping, if it was much earlier in my sobriety I wouldn’t have stood a chance though.

Sorry, I’m rabbiting on. I’m here Jaz, thanks for looking me out :heart::heart::heart:

11 Likes

OH Binx - I’m so sorry that you are dealing with this and really sorry that you are not able to get the medical attention in a timely manner. I do hope that your son is not suffering.

I am not very familiar with Haemochromatosis but do know that blood letting frequently does help keep the body from overdosing in iron. Some foods can also slow down the making of iron in the body - Hemochromatosis and ayurvedic solutions

Glad to see you navigating this sober and with a clear mind. So proud of you my friend - I do hope things get easier :people_hugging:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for everything Jaz, for your kind words and the link you’ve given me. I’ve started reading it already, and I will pass it on to my son.

I’ve gone back generations on both sides of the family, and nobody has had this. So we have to be looking at non hereditary. My confusion is teetering on anger, it just doesn’t make sense to me. My brain keeps looking for a reason, and there just isn’t one. All his tests over the last while gave come back high iron though.

Im not long awake, I grabbed a nap as I slept so badly last night. I think I’ll take a walk to try clear my head.

I appreciate you so much Jaz, thank you :pray::heart::rose:

4 Likes

You are most welcome my friend- I can understand your anger and frustration with this diagnosis. I’ve read that it is hereditary as well but how can that be if you don’t have signs in your family tree?
I am wondering if something else can also cause more iron in your system? I know you’ve got a lot on your plate and hopefully you will find time to rest some. I’ll look into this on my end and let you know if I find something (seeing some dieticians tomorrow so will ask them as well.
much love - sending you comfort in these trying times.

6 Likes

Having hemachromatosis in and of itself is not such a big deal even though it sounds scary and ominous.
Of course they need to figure out whether it’s a genetic cause, acquired, or caused from some other reason. Going back generations, it could be nobody was ever tested for it, therefore nobody would know.
Treatment is with phlebotomies.
As far as managing the high iron/ferritin the main thing is to watch the supplemental iron, in cereal products, for instance. 10% a day would/could be okay, 25% a day would not.
If he takes a multivitamin or any other type of supplement, make sure that it doesn’t have any iron in it. The amount of iron that you actually absorb from meat is really not that significant and from vegetables and spinach, Popeye aside, you really do not absorb hardly any at all. Refrain from using cast iron cookware at home. Don’t worry about it at other places.
Vitamin C increases iron absorption so watch for high supplemental Vit C too.
It’s good that he’s been diagnosed while he’s young. Hugs :hugs: :hugs::hugs:

8 Likes

@Sabrina80 @KevinesKay

I am oklish. Just had one week sober and lost it again. I wanted to get back with at least few sober weeks because I am tired of those constant day ones…

but as I said previous, at the point you let it in, it just does not goes out and want’s it more and more and more and more…

I mean I am ok. I am truck driver. I drive sober. But on the weekends… I binge. I binge a lot. Last weekend I drinked wine, beer, bourbon, scotch, jagermeister… I drinked about one and a half bottle of whiskey a day. I just don’t have breaks when it is a party time. When I need to go to work I am all in. I do not skip training days too. I skip running days tho. I drink on those mostly. I drink on weekends also and I just cant glue it all together. I mean…

I am sports man. I am workaholic. Alcohol? WHAT The +++##@@ this one does in my life…
It is just… Really does not belongs here.

9 Likes

Nice to read you!
Thought about what’s up with zzz too.

I totally agree… Also don’t know what alcohol does in my life. It doesn’t fit to the rest.
Hope your numbers will rise!
I am just right back on the horse too.

9 Likes

Well I’m glad you’re back. Just keep coming back. Just keep learning. Make the necessary changes when you discover what needs to change.
And I know you’re not giving up. You’ve demonstrated over the years that you’re going to continue to fight this until the very end. I See a lot of Hope in you. If others have been able to do it, so can you.

9 Likes

Thank you Jaz :pray: you’re so kind to go to the bother that you do, you’re an amazing human :heart:

I think shock is transitioning a little more into acceptance. I’m really not happy, but I have got to move forward with him. Its going to be a long few weeks for these results.

I think I’m in a slightly better place this morning. Off on a walk with hubs and the kids again. I have AllTrails on my phone, and each week I pick a trail that’s easy and kid friendly. One thing I will say is that even though my sobriety is being tried, I automatically look for alternative ways to deal with my stress and anxiety. Making plans with husband and the kids is one of them. Day 42 completed last night.

Thank you for being you Jaz :pray::heart:

6 Likes

Thanks so much for this advice :heart:

I had been reading up on what to avoid, and how he’d need to make some changes here and there. I don’t think he’s been taking a dietary supplement since around February, but I’ll make sure he doesn’t start another. That’s a great point about vitamin C, I’d forgotten all about the link with iron until you mentioned it.

Thank you so much for your reply too, I really appreciate you :heart: your advice and positivity has helped me so much :people_hugging:

Honestly, one of the best things I’ve done is join TS. I get so much from this site, and the wonderful people here :rose::heart:

5 Likes

@Rockstar24777
Hey Robbie - haven’t seen you post in a minute – you ok my friend?

11 Likes

Awwww thank you Jasmine, I’m here and ok. Just haven’t checked-in in a bit. Thanks for the thought :grin::sunglasses::metal:t2:

14 Likes

So good to hear from you Robbie. Glad you are ok!
I do hope you keep checking in my friend.
download

6 Likes

Missing @Salty
Hoping you and yours are healthy and happy!
Now that I think about it, I think I saw a ‘like’ not too long ago.

10 Likes

Will do and yes we are! :dart::100::sunglasses::metal:t2:

5 Likes