2021 roll call - introduce yourself!

Hi Laura

Thanks for the warm welcome :smile:

1 Like

Yet at one week, you’re already through so much of the worst of it. Why ever do it again?

Welcome, Sarah, and hope you’re still here and strong today!

1 Like

Hey @Matty1985 Im an Aussie and new on here too! Only on Day 15 and just trying to quieten all my busy self talk of going back for one more drink … I havent worked out how to post my own intro yet but am finding this app a useful tool to feel positive and get through another day.

4 Likes

Welcome @MsMabel! Good on ya with 15 days. This is already a fine intro to start. :blush:

If you want to start a thread, you can with the +New Topic button in the upper right on the main forum list page.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,
I’m Em from Australia :australia: been sober since 3rd July, 2019. I’m so thankful to have found TS and become a member of the community :pray: There’s a lot of wisdom to be found here! it’s because of the kindness, wisdom and generosity of everyone here that I, now, enjoy each day sober. I like to take it one day at a time. I have learnt and now firmly believe that
Sober life = my best life,
and I think it’s the same for all of us, that’s why we’re all here :slightly_smiling_face: it takes courage to be sober. And if you’re choosing to be sober each day, then you my friend are a courageous soul! :sparkles:

16 Likes

Hello and welcome @IamQuaMorrell
Thank you Quay for your response to me on the Connecting Spirituality thread. I thought I’d move my welcome back reply to you on this thread with other new comers. Your response meant the world to me. Thank you. :pray:t2:

So you’re trying to quit cigarettes? I quit that filthy habit many years ago before I had children. I’ve posted this before but it’s been awhile. I hope it can give you some help if you’re interested.
I smoked many years ago and my boss paid for us to do a stop smoking clinic. It worked. I didn’t just quit smoking. I STOPPED smoking.

Anyway. The things that worked best for me were.
First 2 weeks.
No booze.
No sugar.
No caffeine.

These things are all triggers.

Drink lots of water. Seriously drink water like you’ve never drank it before. Helps flush out the nicotine.
I got some worry beads to keep my hands busy.
Get a straw. Keep it in your mouth and suck in fresh air. I remember waiting tables and I always had a straw in my mouth for about a month. Even taking orders. It was definitely a conversation piece. I found the big fat McDonalds straws work the best. Cut them in half.
Drink lots of water.
The most fun or interesting part was mess up your brain. Smoking is a habit right? Start messing up all your habits.
Sleep on the other side of the bed.
Drive to work a different route
Use your spouses car if u can.
Sit in a different spot for dinner.
Shower in the evening if u usually shower in the am.
You get the idea.
Did I say drink lots of water?
Good luck. I didn’t think this was going to be this long. But it worked for me. Maybe because my wife and I were planning on starting a family back then and I didn’t think I’d be a good example being a father with a butt in his mouth. But I had tried before and nothing worked until I had all these tools to help me.
Good luck. God bless.

I find the following 2 threads very helpful in my sobriety.

I’ve been known to post a meme or 2 as well. :crazy_face:
God Bless you on your journey.
Lots a great people here for help and support.
:pray:t2::heart:

8 Likes

Hello wisdom here. Wanted to become a wise person.

4 Likes

I’m Josh, I’m 30 and today is Day 12… again. I’m a Chef and live in Cambridgeshire in UK. Originally, I was addicted to Alcohol, Heroin and Cocaine; quit it all in September '18 and was sober for 539 days before relapsing on Alcohol pretty bad. I used to post here a lot and then stopped to focus on controlling my freightrain-relapse. (Sounds like an ideal top name for a song!) I’m not planning to be on here too much and I’m certainly not going to be dishing out advice like I used to because it clearly doesn’t work and if you see any of my old threads come up, just ignore em, yeah?

Anyways. Charmed. :wink:

14 Likes

Im Keara. I’ve been heroin free for 21 months. In 2020 I started injecting alcohol and now im a few days shy of 3 months from that. My first addiction was cutting and I had 10 months until I relapsed on Monday. My recent relapse also included pills. Above all im also recovering from a restricting eating disorder.

My main support is talking to members of NA daily, although I dont go to meeting regularly especially virtual ones since they appeared to negatively trigger my eating disorder so im new to this forum!

6 Likes

use to go through to Cambridge to the markets when i lived in Bishop Stortford spent many a drunk weekend there lol , long long time ago now

2 Likes

Hi my name is Steve and Im an alcoholic. 22 months sober from Warren Michigan USA

11 Likes

Hey all, most of the regulars probably know, but imma introduce myself anyways.
I am Jan and although my name is feminine in English, I’m male. I am 17 years old and still going to high school. My main addiction is gaming, which I haven’t done in 417 days. However I’ve been discovering I’m addicted to anything that can distract me from my thoughts. At the moment it’s mainly streaming services. I have been TV show free for around 14 minutes.
I am going down fast and hoping to get into rehab in a few months. I has saved my ass with gaming and it will save my ass with all other addictions too.

11 Likes

I had no idea you lived in Bishops Stortford! Cambridge Market is lovely thought, especially at Christmas.

1 Like

Hi I’m jony I’m 44 from Portugal :portugal:
My DOC was heroine,cocaine, pills,alcohol and sex.
I’m clean and sober since 1st of January 2006
I quit smoking on 7th of January 2013.
I lived in England for 2 years.
I’m a lorry (truck) driver .
My main passions are motorcycles and travels.
Thanks for sharing.

14 Likes

Hey everyone :wave: I’ve been lurking for a couple days now and just wanted to introduce myself. I’ve struggled for years with alcohol and I’m on day 3 of trying to stay sober! I’m feeling ok right now but I’m having a lot of anxiety about trying to make it through the weekend!

20 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Welcome! 🙋
It’s really just another 24 hours. Take the notion that it’s a good thing to get hammered out of the equation. You’ll be so happy you stayed strong!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m trying!

2 Likes

I wish to remain anonymous. Im f 33 from UK. New to this my DOC is cocaine using less than a year but spiralled out of control. My journey will start tomorrow

13 Likes

Welcome bud!