3 months dry!

I’ve made it to three months, which is the longest I’ve gone without alcohol since my problem started. I honestly never thought I’d get this far, but I persevered and feel really encouraged by it. Rather than resisting the thoughts about alcohol and the desire to drink, I’m learning to simply let them pass, and I feel like that’s helped me. The most frustrating hurdle though is the boredom. Drinking used to amuse me. I relied on it to entertain myself, and did a lot of my activity at home while inebriated. Now, I feel like I have to fill the gap with something else, otherwise I’ll feel like a log. Still happy with my decision though, not going to lie.

19 Likes

Congratulations on 3 months! There are quite a few threads on here with suggestions for sober activities, I will try and dig them out later (have to get ready for work now).

But way to go!

2 Likes

Wow that’s really good. I too used to drink at home but not so much out since trying to give up. I too hope to get past 2mths this time.As that’s usually when l slip up. But not recently. I’m 4 days at the moment. Well done!!

1 Like

I wish you all the best with that! :slight_smile:

3 months sober too, well done :clap:, I used to get bored quite early on, now I go to meetings and doing a parenting course, maybe look into learning something new, I go out for more walks now too which I never did when drinking

4 Likes

Ok so I said I would post some links. Here we go…

Do you do any meditation? It’s good to keep busy but also good to learn how be at peace with yourself. It works for me anyway. Here’s a thread with lots of links:

This thread had LOADS of links to other posts. There’s some really great stuff there on what to do with yourself:

There are also quite a few hobby threads. If you search hobbies lots will come up.

There are also quite a few exercise threads. A good way to spend time in a way that’s really good for you! I check in on the 30 day challenge thread but there are others including this one:

And if nothing else reading through all that lot will keep you occupied for a while :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Many of us eventually return to some of the activities we used to enjoy while drinking. It just takes a while before you can avoid being triggered.

For example I have crazy karaoke nights less frequently now but when I do I am starting to enjoy them in a newly confident way. It took me almost 12 months to try it sober but you know what? I can actually carry a tune. It’s not just my drunk brain talking.

You will find fun stuff to do. Why wouldn’t you?

Edit: Forgot my congratulations on your 90 days! Well done! :blush:

5 Likes

I’ve actually been meditating every day for the past ten months :slight_smile: It really does help to cope with the urge to drink (or smoke or overeat, and other habits I used to cave so easily to).

1 Like

Thank you!