Anxiety? šŸ˜…

Normally, my go-to method of dealing and handling my anxiety would be alcohol. Preferably, Whiskey. I liked the exspensive stuff that worked quick but anything would do the trick. Ive been handling myself this way for ā€¦ehhh idk maybe like 6ā€¦7 somthinā€™ odd years like that. Shamful, I know. Once I got sober and inevitably diagnosed with my mental illnesses, cptsd, as one of them; ive tried all sorts of various copeing methods to deal with the aniexty. Quite frankly, i dont think my doctor has me on a strong enough med but i also know he thinks im high risk for addiction because i was also diagnosed with alcoholism and was prescribed a medication called anabuse with is basically like a big, red, flaming red check mark on my file although, I asked to be prescribed it. So, I dont even bother pushing for it. Anyways, ive dealt with a handful of already absurd situations in my four months of being sober, e.i my sons dad getting his new girlfriend pregnant but has been a dead beat to my son since birth major eyeroll, a major car accident involving 5 of my family memebers,one of which being my 9 year old cousin whos jaw was broken and now has it wired shut and I actually think I handled that like a true chamipon so i think its safe to say im getting slightly better with confrontation. But hardly lol

One of the things i struggle THE MOST with is arguments with loved ones. When any sitution comes up, my anxiety hits the roof before anything is ever even mentioned. Its like i predict how situations are going to end up and my skins already crawling, I become that uncomfortable.

My therapist, who recently quit her job at the company I go through, painted a lovely picture of me to put into perspective of how i feel in the moment of what could be confrontation and she said this ā€œPicture you were walking, alone in the forest, the suns going down, your lost, you have nothing on you and suddenly, you look up and youve run face first into a bear. How do you think youd feel in that exact moment of fear? That is how you wake up in the morning.ā€ So to say the least, I dont handle shit well lmfao

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about situations that make me uncomfortable? What should I do when i find my self in that moment of running into a bear?

She freakin quit on me before i could get an answer, dang it :roll_eyes::unamused::sweat_smile:

All helps appreciated.

7 Likes

I feel like I desperately need to work on my communication skills. Id rather avoid the entire thing but thats not healthy either. I need to learn how to express my emotions comfortably to where it extinguishes the problem. Even if its a problem I have, i dont know how to go about bringing it up to my partner for example. It just all around makes me uncomfortable.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if this will help very much. Butā€¦. My go to is Gratitude. I practice gratitude every single day. I have not missed a day in 2 years and 7 weeks ish.
Itā€™s really helped me a lot on my sobriety. Iā€™ve kind of retrained my brain. Now a days I just wake up grateful for so many things. And my anxiety level is so much lower and calmer.

Thereā€™s a great thread with a great bunch of people on it. Stop by if youā€™re interested. Doors always open. Coffee is always on.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

@Hobbitfromhell I too run from confrontation and as a result, I lost my voice along the way. It was a few months ago that I was able to put childhood trauma and being a ā€œgood girlā€ a reason for the high anxiety I lived in. First thing I would suggest is to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Find a safe place and recognize is this a fight or flight situation - am I in danger or is this something I can breath/work though. I have a fear of water, but I make myself stand in a freezing cold shower each day, and breath my way through the panic. In 2 months, I have been able to use the same method as the shower to get through anxiety before it gets out of control. Hope this suggestion helps :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you so much, I will definitely look into it. Coffee is my love language :stuck_out_tongue:

Ill give this a try and see how it works for me. Anything is worth a shot and what could it hurt yanno? Especially over gratitude. Probably somrthing i should work on doing more often anyways. Thanks again for the tip. :blush: im going to give it a go.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know whatā€™s going on but Iā€™ve been suffering from really bad anxiety and panic attack lately and they happen almost every day, I think It is because of a certain Toxic person who has been causing severe drama a amongst everyone in my NA meetings. Tonight we were supposed to have a meeting and it ended up not being a meeting because we were having issues with this person who was trying to accuse somebody of doing something to her And spreading rumors about this person.

2 Likes

Hey :blush:

I live with severe Anxiety, and c-PTSD is amongst my diagnosed conditions too. I hear you. Despite all the medications Iā€™m on its still there, I can hardly leave my flat, and I donā€™t cope or get on very well when I mix with more than one person at a time.

What I learned in DBT was to pause before reacting, take a breath or ask for time to process. Check the facts, seperate them from feelings. Then respond mindfully. It takes practice, and because Iā€™m so socially isolated I donā€™t yet have much experience with it, but others in the zoom group, that lived with partners and families, found it helpful.

If itā€™s affecting your life this much, Iā€™d encourage you to speak to your GP also, finding the right medications can be a trial and error process.

I wish you good luck.

:blue_heart:

3 Likes

In terms of dealing with anxiety generally, some things that I have found helpful:

• meditation, I am not practicing regularly at the moment but when I was, spending 5 or 10 mins a day definitely helped me start to find that pause, to give some time to fact check things

• Tara Brach RAIN if you havenā€™t heard of it - Resources ~ RAIN: Recognize, Allow, Investigate, Nurture - Tara Brach - also lots of meditation resources there

• grounding exercises for an immediate bit of relief and come back to the present rather than existing in a hypothetical future that we have no way of knowing how it will play out!

box-breathing

• go for a walk, do some yoga, do some star jumps, whatever just move a bit

• have a bath, self massage, pampering of some kind

Also with confrontation situations, sometimes it helps me to sit down with a pen and piece of paper and decide what I want to get across. Doing Taraā€™s RAIN can help me work that out. Just a couple of sentences or bullet points about how I feel, what I need (without blame or judgement ideally). Then in the heat of things, hopefully I can just come back to what I want to get across, try and listen to what the other person wants and if they get a bit blamey, ask them to tell me what they need. Obviously this is all much easier said than done, ha, but its quite a good theory at least :hugs: Confrontation can suck and thatā€™s OK.

The other thing I find about my anxiety, is that the thinking about it is often the worst bit. Apparently thatā€™s how our brain works, if we think about the situation and predict how it will turn out (actually pretty impossible right?), we experience it as if its actually happened. But our anxious brains are AMAZING at predicting worst case scenarios. I am actually pretty good in a crisis - sounds like you are too :blush:

To use your analogy, if I was suddenly and unexpectedly confronted by a bear, I have no idea how Iā€™d react. I would just deal with it in the moment the best way I know how.

5 Likes

My therapist told me that I am under no obligation to engage with people that have caused, or trigger, my cPTSD. I have not been around my immediate family in many years, quit responding to texts, etc. Used to think I was ā€œrudeā€ for trying to set and enforce boundaries. Nope. just because theyā€™re blood doesnā€™t mean you owe them anything if theyā€™re not healthy for you. Should have known when I used to have to drink a beer or 4 before talking to my mom on the phone.

4 Likes

That isnā€™t good whatā€™s happening at your meetings. Is there another NA group you could try? Iā€™m sorry you are going thru that.

1 Like

This is solid advice. You donā€™t have to show up for every fight. Sometimes a boundary you set can just be with yourself not engaging in the situation. Itā€™s very different than avoidance. @Hobbitfromhell, anxiety is the worst. I take meds for it. Not drinking actually allows the meds to work. I also try to walk a lot to get rid of excess energy and breathe fresh air. Hope this troubled time passes quickly for you.

2 Likes

My wife is exactly like that. Catastrophizing - jumping straight to the worst possible scenario - because thatā€™s been her history (or at least, her childhood and early adulthood was like that - she grew up in a complex and traumatic environment).

Arguments often arise from this. Less so, recently, as weā€™ve been working through it together, but the pattern of ā€œperceived crisis - crisis response - different perception from other person - sense that other person is abandoning - which is another crisis - escalation - repeatā€ is still in the background and flares up sometimes.

Our childhoods carve riverbeds of thought patterns - habits of flow for our thoughts - and if we let our thoughts flow their default pattern, we tend to reproduce the flow of the past, in the present. Crisis, catastrophe, may have been the case in the past, and crisis response may have helped us survive then, but it isnā€™t working now; we are in a more stable present, and we need to explore new ways of relating to it (and to the people in it). We are no longer surviving. Now, we are thriving (or at least, learning to thrive).

I have found lots of gentle, nonjudgmental listening has helped her. Each day we take 15 minutes and listen to one another. No assessment, no advice, just listening. We use ā€œI-Statementsā€ to help keep focused: ā€œwhen I see / hear [something concrete and quantifiable, like ā€˜the garbage not taken outā€™ or ā€˜you not wearing your COVID mask indoors at your shop with your colleaguesā€™; not something thatā€™s more general like ā€˜you disrespecting meā€™], I feel ____ [a feeling word like ā€˜I feel like I donā€™t matter to you if you donā€™t take time to take out the garbageā€™ or ā€˜I feel in danger, like youā€™re abandoning me, when you donā€™t wear your mask, or when I feel doubt about whether youā€™re wearing the maskā€™]ā€.

(Edit to add: the I-statements can be about anything; theyā€™re not just about her or me. For example, it could be: ā€œ_____ happened at work and I felt ā€ or ā€œ said ____ to me today and I felt ____ā€.)

This listening helps her get her feelings and thoughts out of her head. When theyā€™re in the head itā€™s like they get into hyper-expansion mode and they just scale up and become overwhelming. When theyā€™re out, in words, with shape, they have limits and we can look at them together.

The listening is about hearing, not judging or advising. I will respond by simply echoing her: ā€œit sounds like you feel ____ when you see/hear ____ā€. Itā€™s just about being heard. After about 7-8 minutes of her sharing, I do my sharing. (We set a 15 minute limit because sometimes the topics are emotionally heavy and if itā€™s longer than that the exercise starts to feel intimidating. 15 minutes is digestible and helpful.)

Listening time can be with a trusted friend or group. Sobriety meetings like AA are great for this. Meetings can be attended every day (which is a great chance for sharing every day!). Many meetings are open to people sharing things with the group. That sharing, that giving words to our thoughts, is empowering and liberating. There are meetings of all types, including some mixed and womenā€™s only meetings (that can be helpful sometimes): Resources for our recovery

Another thing thatā€™s been helpful is therapy. Therapy! I would recommend it to anyone. All the time and money we used to spend on our addictions, channel that into therapy. :innocent: (if you canā€™t afford therapy though itā€™s not a big deal, because a good meeting does more or less the same thing). Thereā€™s a great article about a tool called Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, here:

In sobriety and in life post-CPTSD, we are building new pathways for our thoughts and behaviours (our responses to our situation / life, and emotion - the thoughts and behaviours are responses to those). It takes time but it is possible. Just like recovery, take it one day at a time and keep asking for help. You will find what you need.

2 Likes

No this is a really small town here And they only have the AA meetings and the in NA meeting and everyone knows each other so their is no privacy or being anonymous, and they donā€™t follow the principles before personalities. I have been going for a few months now and I still havenā€™t started my step work.

2 Likes

Hey gal!

Congratulations on four months sober! That is incredible and youā€™ve certainly been dealing with a lot of difficult, anxiety-provoking situations not making that any easier. Good for you.:heart:

I definitely relate to using alcohol to ease anxiety. I found this journal app on my phone called ā€œMy Diaryā€ that Iā€™ve been using every day since being sober now (24 days for me) to get thoughts out and work on processing things. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s something that could help process the things causing anxiety? I paid for the little subscription so that I could use the pretty backgrounds and fonts because those make me happier, lol and I literally just write down as many thoughts as I can all day long. I journal on if thereā€™s something bothering me and a lot of times I can work through a process on my own to either let emotions go or maybe see things from a different perspective. I also do scripting, which is writing your future basically how you want and imagine it happening. So you could script your family interactions ahead of time to work toward more positive interactions. And then I got an affirmation app on my phone and journal on the affirmations that I get notified of. I hope any of this may help you, too!

Something else Iā€™ve done to help ease my anxiety is listen to subliminals on YouTube (especially overnight). They are at frequencies we donā€™t consciously hear but they reprogram our subconscious toward what we want so that those are our new beliefs. Iā€™ve used them for my anxiety and depression, to stop drinking, for social anxiety, etc etc.

You are doing amazing! I hope any of this might help you!:heart::heart:

Kristen

2 Likes

Thank you so much, im definitely going to download that app. Sounds roght up my alley!

1 Like