Astronomy, science, rockets, NASA, and all the space topics thread. FREE ALIEN QUIZ INSIDE! DON'T WAIT! ACT NOW!

I am wrapped in ice more than 15 km thick and, under that frozen surface, I almost certainly have a vast ocean of water, at least five times deeper than the deepest point of our ocean on Earth.

Who is… Europa?

She just had closeups done a couple days ago:

And she’ll be visited soon by another probe - the Europa Clipper - headed there specifically to investigate the subsurface ocean:

Amazingly, this moon, no bigger than Earth’s moon, may have twice as much water as we have here on Earth!

:star_struck:

8 Likes

OMG a Space, NASA and Alien thread :heart_eyes:
I love everything Space since being a child.

6 Likes

Me too! Welcome to the club.

Personally I am a huge Star Trek fan too; love the series, and the movies; I’ve loved it since I was a kid. Love Star Wars too, for that epic good-vs-evil fight :star_struck:

I have followed all the Mars rovers with rapt interest. It is so fascinating what they discover :innocent:

6 Likes

Which of the series are your favorite?

2 Likes

Hard to answer. Each has its own flavour, and there are strengths in all of them.

First off, TOS is (and isn’t) a lot of things, but one thing it was, was a courageous effort to create something new, a new narrative, a new picture of a future, new visions for what humans can be and how they can behave. That in itself is bold and I respect that, and appreciate it. The tone set by that series continues to shape the series we enjoy today.

TNG, VOY, and DS9 - I like all of those, each for different reasons. TNG flies on the strength of the writing (courageous and asking important questions, which set the stage for dramatic stories) and on Patrick Stewart’s acting (phenomenal - a brilliant and compelling actor: that line, “There. Are. Four. Lights.” gives me chills every time - and there are many others). VOY is a crew like no other, a really brilliant set of characters in unique and challenging circumstances. DS9 asks social and political and relationship and spiritual questions that can’t be asked in any of the other series (because of the setting), and that lets them explore more of the strategic and metaphysical picture of the Trek universe, which I liked.

The new series have a lot going for them too. Strange New Worlds is a fun watch with great stories, great acting, and a steady, mostly episodic rhythm; I am liking it so far. The Picard series I am enjoying for how it develops the stories of these familiar characters. It is a bit of a reminiscing / redeveloping series, developing settings and characters I’m already familiar with, but I like it nevertheless.

The Discovery series is one that took me a long time to really “get” - those first two seasons were a mind trip at times - but now that I’m farther in, and the timeline and setting has settled, I’m finding it’s a refreshing journey in new, uncharted space. I’m enjoying it. I’m particularly enjoying the character of Michael Burnham. She’s got an understated, sometimes steely, always vibrant energy to her, and is a keen observer and communicator. Brilliant character and a lot of fun to see how she engages. She surprises me - I can’t easily predict what she will choose - and that is refreshing.

2 Likes

NASA has rescheduled the Artemis launch to November, to give employees and their families time to recover from the storm.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/09/30/teams-confirm-no-damage-to-flight-hardware-focus-on-november-for-launch/

Talking Sober Hurricane Ian support thread is here:

Take care all and stay safe; we get through this together :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Those wishing to donate to organizations helping recovery from Hurricane Ian can find links here (they’re in the last few paragraphs of the article):

2 Likes

Can you remember this Matt? I was only a toddler when it hit our screens over here in the 70’s this was my saturday morning tv. Then sat evening it was Dr Who

No wonder we all enjoyed star wars when it hit th e screen a few years later the effects were dare i say it, light years ahead. :+1::grinning:

4 Likes

I never saw either of them because my family didn’t have a TV cable connection until I was in high school, by which point I was more into computer games than TV :joy:

I am familiar with them both though, and they definitely had strong production :innocent:

1 Like

View from the front of my house now.
The little dot is not a reflection its ? But its definitely there.

7 Likes

What a great picture! The little dot is Jupiter!! :heart:

5 Likes

Oh wow ! Thank you for letting me know what it was/is. I looked up to the sky and thought abiut this post and took a picture :blush:

2 Likes

I enjoyed this a month or so ago.
Webb photos set to music

2 Likes

Helloooo extraterrestrial water! :smiley:

6 Likes

Exciting! I hadn’t heard about this!

Were you able to view the lunar eclipse? I set up and waited through all of totality, but we have been very overcast in this area lately. Luckily the clouds broke a little and I was able to see the moon as it went dark, but no red.

3 Likes

No I didn’t see it, though it was more because my cats wake me up like clockwork at 4:00 every morning and I was asleep :laughing:

3 Likes

Fair enough! It was at a crazy early/late time. I was determined to stay up all night for it, even though it was a crap shoot’s chance of getting a good look. My own cat was pretty upset that I never went to bed. :laughing:

2 Likes

New launch date: Monday, November 14 :rocket: :full_moon: :innocent:

https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/10/12/nasa-sets-date-for-next-launch-attempt-for-artemis-i-moon-mission/

5 Likes

China sending crewed mission to mars in 2033:

3 Likes

Who’s up tomorrow (Nov 16) at 1:04 a.m. Eastern Time (North America)? My European friends get to watch this while they’re having breakfast! :croissant: :rocket: :innocent: Me on the other hand, I’ll probably sleep through it and catch up in the morning. :innocent:

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-coverage-of-nasas-artemis-i-mission-to-the-moon

2 Likes