Checking in daily to maintain focus #44

Back to day 0 the gambling, I need to apply the same awareness and principles of recovery as I did and still do with alcohol and drugs.
It’s always a lot easier to say than it is to do but I seem to be gambling without any thought, step outside myself for a few minutes before the action happens.
I can’t do anything that doesn’t result in excess and every obsession can be overcome with the same spiritual shift of attitude and some work on the character defect.
Greed, self-indulgence.

12 Likes

But on a positive note :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

Rest up and get your health back. Covid can be a real kick in the arse. Stay hydrated. You matter :heart:

2 Likes

Oh yeah it’s been hard lol,
I’ve drank a lot more energy drinks
Than I have my entire life :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Do you wear a uniform? If not, there are some really lightweight materials that let the air flow and won’t smother you in heat. Also there are cosmetics that cover really well. Look up tattoo cover ups. My granddaughter has the same scars and she says just about any waterproof foundation of the right shade will help too. :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you Dana! I’m certainly going to start walking more, and definitely have to quit smoking. The biggest problem is not that I’m a little out of shape; problem is, I seem to be developing COPD. I’m not sure if that can be cured. I do have my inhalers, and I’m going to get more exercise but I may be stuck with it. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Hello sober friends. Checking in on day 380. Today was simple. I managed 16 miles on the bike today and watched some episodes of Loudermilk tonight. Tomorrow I will try to make it to the office. Hope you are having a peaceful day / night. :heart:

13 Likes

Oh I’m sorry :frowning: I shouldve known that. I hope my post wasn’t offensive then. I hope they have some sort of remedy for COPD. My grandmother had that and i saw how difficult it was to even do daily tasks of walk to the bathroom :frowning: i really hope they can do something for u so that u can accomplish ur goals

2 Likes

I take inhalers also. A emergency inhaler and a steroid inhaler. I used to take prednisone to help with my asthma when it was super bad. Thats the reason why I HAD to quit smoking cigarettes over a decade ago. I couldn’t breathe and would always end up in emergency. But yet I continued smoking drugs :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

No offense taken! You didn’t know. It’s a pretty recent development; I used to walk everywhere all the time, and a few months ago I realized I was getting winded just walking to the bus stop a block and half away. I’m in the beginning stages so if I start taking care of this now, I might just be okay! On the other hand, my father died from emphysema and I absolutely do not want that to happen to me.

1 Like

I’m a recovering addict

I’m going to just express how I’m feeling here right now as actually this has just i would say triggered and knocked me for the rest of my working/recovering day.

An off the comment remark on a subject that is and will now effect millions of people in many situations isn’t something you should lightly make a remark on… Women in active/recovering addiction have to deal with pregnancies and the trauma and life situations that occur.

Im sat at work fighting back tears before I start a group session hoping and praying that my patients of the day didn’t use over the weekend.

So to the person who just didn’t think or actually wouldn’t know sorry to say in anyway or form on how it feels having that right took away.

Thank you.

12 Likes

I’m sorry to hear today is the day @BrainP. I can tell she means so much to you.

2 Likes

1115, 2465, 4
Coffee. I have the day off. I’m glad I am back at work. I really like working in detox. One thing I do notice is how feeble the motivation is of many of the people admitted there. I feel this is where I maybe can make a difference for some. Using what I learned in my own recovery/discovery. Using what I learned here, from you all, from being with all of you. This is an amazing group of amazing people and you all better know that.

I’m having a meeting today with an experience expert (if that’s the right word) who teaches a course in integrating my own experiences into my profession. Hoping to join that course which starts in a couple of weeks. Hoping to gain some more tools I can use.

Have as good a week as you all can friends. Whatever happens, make it clean and sober. Using, drinking or giving in to addictive behaviours doesn’t help with anything. Love form my new workplace where the sunsets aren’t half bad either.

@Mindymoo Maybe worrying isn’t useful but thinking about it might be. Thinking how to build up your sober toolbox, a box filled with both physical tools and mental ones that can help when an urge to drink hits. Think and look up some strategies you can use when the addicted part of your mind will tell you it’s OK to have just one. Or two. Or many. You can do this, and have fun too, but you better come prepared.

@BrianP You’re in my heart and in my mind today friend. You’re not alone. Strength and love to Penny, to you and to yours.

24 Likes

Day 61. Just got home from work about midnight… back in the am, then have a couple
Le days off. Going to take my kid to the bay for 2 days to see the tigers hopefully get some wins against the giants. Sober father son baseball=the good stuff. Looking forward to it anyways. Wishing everyone happiness and continued sobriety! Much love!

13 Likes

You are checking in right here right now Pedrom! No fixed things to do here. You can share whatever you want (within the rules of the forum that is), whatever is useful for you in your recovery. Happy to have you aboard, together we can do this!

3 Likes

Maybe try to read around on the forum a bit? So much helpful stuff is here already. Here’s a good starting point:

Success!

7 Likes

Welcome to the party! You’re going to love it here; everybody is awesome.
The best way to do a check in is just write about what you’re feeling and what you’re going through, and what you’re doing to stay sober. Read the other check-ins to get an idea of how it works.

3 Likes

I don’t know whether my day is beginning or ending. I nodded off in the middle of the day (again) and so I’m wide awake. I got a lot of errands that have to be run today and I don’t know if I should take a 3-hour nap and hope I wake up on time, or just stay awake. It’s 3:30am here, so our friends across the pond are probably the only ones awake at this time. How are you guys doing?

12 Likes

Checking in on what will be day day 6 later today.

Slept well, feeling pretty good.

I have an accreditation exam later for work (39 and still have exams :scream:). In my younger years finishing an exam meant mega binge. Not today!

Also can anyone point me to anything where I can better understand the community home page. Like sometimes the number of comments on a thread are shown in grey, sometimes in orange, sometimes in a blue circle, what does it all mean? :man_shrugging:t2:

I hope you all have super days.

No booze today thank you!

11 Likes

I’m doing great @SassyRocks and @Dazercat, I’ve been busy busy busy clean and sober. I’m still running long distance(sometimes half marathons) 5 days a week. I looking forward to my 3rd year soberversary next month.
Hope you all are well, love and miss you so.
Blessings and sobriety!
:sparkling_heart:

15 Likes