Checking in daily to maintain focus #45

Good evening all! Checking in on day 343. Today was my first day back to work since Covid. I am still testing positive but have zero symptoms so they okayed me to go back to work with a N95. Afternoon started okay but after an hour I was physically drained and it was from doing next to nothing. By 8 pm I was spent physically and mentally which is not good when dealing with dementia patients specifically. Kept it together but it was a trying night. There were quite a few moments where reverting back to my alcoholic tendencies seemed so much easier, just say fuck it and go home and be a shell of a nothing. But then I think back at the person I was to who I am now. Ten years ago I was drunk handling and detonating explosives almost daily. A little over a year ago I was vomiting up my first three drinks because my body was rejecting anything I put in it, it was shutting down and now I am back to being an EMT, working with dementia patients and almost done with my 12 year degree so I can help others like us, so there is no doubt which path I’m going to choose. No matter how hard things get or seem it will never be as hard as it was living the way I was. Sorry for the rant but felt like talking tonight and it’s 230 am here and everyone I know is asleep! Hope everyone had a great day or night and stays safe.

13 Likes

Here is the link to the article I was talking about. This is my first time to post a link and I hope it works. Using weights for mental health and PTSD. With the hopes that would help with the binge eating and your wanting to escape to risky sex.

2 Likes

Welcome Daniel! Very good place to be and you Will be very welcomed and supported!!

3 Likes

I really appreciate the welcome and I’m thankful for everyone here

4 Likes

Good morning Mindy. You crack me up. I could listen you you all day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. After awhile I started learning about all the different wonderful threads on here. I started of just doing gratitude for the longest time before I branched out. But I do like to see foodie stuff from around the world as I consider myself an ex restaurant pro. We just had our last night.
https://talkingsober.com/t/foodies-unite-5-trigger-warning-food-take-another-little-pizza-my-heart/143307/1162
Have a wonderful sober day.
:pray::fr::heart:

3 Likes

Day 5.
Feeling good again today. Will be busy until late afternoon which was my top up start time every day. Today though I have gardening to do and also have a look at the gardening thread on here. Loving life at the minute. Hope you all have a good day or if not good a better one than yesterday. :carrot::roll_eyes::slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

13 Likes

Congrats on your 10 days. That sounds like like nothing to normal people. But for people like us who struggle every day, sometimes every hour to control an addiction, it’s a huge accomplishment. Keep piling them days together. :v:

5 Likes

212 days

16 Likes

Hey all, checking in on day 776. I hope everybody has a good one!

15 Likes

Day 414 continuous sobriety. I tried yesterday to fix the bathroom sink in our 92 year old house and ended up breaking an old pipe and now I have to find a real plumber who knows what they’re doing. And I sliced my hand a bit. I am not a handy man. 90% of what I try to fix ends up more broken than before :rofl: Today is my daughter’s birthday so we’ll go party hard (seven year old style) at the local arcade with her little friends. It’s awesome how excited kids are about their birthdays. I dread mine in my forties.

Anyway, sober on, friends. Hope today brings you serenity.

16 Likes

Morning people. Checking back in on day 5. Gonna try and hit the gym early and than do some cooking and just enjoy the Saturday since no work today. Maybe I’ll bath the dogs since it’s nice out. They stink. Lol

12 Likes

Day 778 clean and sober. Have a great day everyone, love you guys! :sunglasses::metal:t2:

16 Likes

Day 21! I commit to my promise to myself and my family that I will not drink today. I’m greatful for everything I have!

It amazes me how the mind will manipulate you to get immediate gratification from uncomfortable feelings/boredom.

I can feel so overwhelmingly sick from drinking and desperate to change and save my damaged relationships and then after a few days of feeling physically better, I get thoughts of: how I can probably moderate or maybe only on the weekends and definitely not at social gatherings.

I can’t believe even after reminding myself everyday why I need to change and all the horrible things alcohol has caused in my life, that those strong determined feelings and written plan can go right out the window with a blink of an eye, with a fleeting thought that causes an urge! That one moment in time can change everything! I feel weak and low life and that is not what I want for me or my son.

Addiction is sick and mind twisted! I hate it!

This is what I’m battling. ODAAT!

Hope everyone is doing the work. I haven’t posted much, but I will. I know that reading your posts and engaging everyone takes the focus off ourselves for awhile and is apart of healing.

15 Likes

Good morning friends, day 623. No bathroom project work anymore, so time to catch up on everything else.
Have an awesome day! I am going to do mine sober!

12 Likes

Woooooohoooo! Look at you!
This is inspiring to me. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Happy Saturday morning from Wisconsin!

I have the day to myself, so after my house chores I am driving to one of my favorite places to take a long bike ride.

Then I will head home and make a favorite meal for myself. I will read my book, write a little, then watch some tv until the hubby gets home from his day away.

I’m so pleased that there will be no drinking today.

When I had a day like this last summer, I not only wasted that day in drinking but also lost the whole next day to the hangover.

Freedom from alcohol is amazing!

Have a good one everyone!

11 Likes

On day 50. I had a little power nap yesterday afternoon before heading out to the theatre. Then, I slept from around 1.30 am to 8.45 this morning! I’m so relieved to get some proper rest :heart:
Keep on keeping on x

8 Likes

976 days without gaming

The day before yesterday I didn’t brush my teeth. For me that usually is a big deal, once I break a streak it usually takes weeks or even months before I brush my teeth again. And you can probably understand how that makes me feel like a loser.
But I took the time to brush my teeth again yesterday without a problem. Obviously it’s very early to say this, but I think a switch has been flipped. I bought floss. I bought toothpaste. And I bought mouthwash. All of those I took time to select which I wanted. Even though I’ve brushed my teeth only 7 times in the last 8 days, I already see a massive difference :smiley:

So far today has been exhausting. I’ve been busting my ass at work. Due to a massive shortage in staff this evening I’ve been doing everything in my power to get a lot of their work done so that they can finish their work tonight. I’m not upset or stressed about it though. I’ve been doing everything in my power. I can’t do any better than that, so I shouldn’t ask it of myself.

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 2500 replies. Continue discussion at Checking in daily to maintain focus #45 (Part 17).