Favourite addiction books?

Hi all

Since I stopped drinking alcohol and stopped gambling 19 months ago I found reading a great way to pass the time, whilst being good for my brain and well being.

As well as the AA big book, other AA and GA literature I now like to read all kind of books. Some of which are based around recovery. I am interested to see if anyone else finds reading a great help to them. Also what books do you like?

Some of my favourite books based around addiction and primarily alcohol are as follows. Has anyone read any of these and what did you think?

This Naked Mind - Annie Grace
Beyond Recovery: Nonduality and the twelve steps - Fred Davis, John Ames
Natural Rest for Addiction: A Radical Approach to Recovery Through Mindfulness and Awareness - Scott Kiloby, Jeff Foster
A Sober Year: Daily Musings on an Alcohol Free Life - Meredith Bell
Being Aware of Being Aware - Rupert Spira
Alcohol Lied to Me: The Intelligent Way to Escape Alcohol Addiction - Craig Beck
Alcoholics Annonymous: Personal Stories - Inspiring Quotes
My Reclaimed Life: Finding Peace While Defeating Alcohol, Cigarettes, Gluttony and Sloth - Ed Wyrick
Drunks & Monks - John Carmichael

2 Likes

Unfortunately I havn’t read any of the books you have listed but I love reading both fiction and non fiction and get totally immersed once I start and with it being early on in my recovery I’m looking to read as much on addiction as possible so I will definitely look for those, thank you :+1:

Excellent stuff. These ones have definately helped me.

One of my favorite topics! I love reading and found reading sober memoirs to be inspiring and helpful for my recovery.

Here is one of the many threads that lists a lot of books…happy reading!!

Sobriety reading

And some of the ones I have read…

Last Call by Nancy Carr
The Sober Diaries
Parched by Heather King
Unwasted, My Lush Sobriety
Blackout, Remembering the things I drank to forget
My Fair Junkie by Amy Dresner
Hopeful Healing by Mackenzie Phillips
Sober Truths, The Making of an honest woman
Saturation by Jennifer Place
Girl Walks Out of a Bar by Lisa Smith
The Naked Mind by Annie Grace
A Happier Hour by Rebecca Weller
High on Arrival by Mackenzie Phillips
Under the Influence by Joyce Maynard
Ice and a Slice by Della Galton
Memoirs aren’t Fairytales
Don’t Take With Alcohol
Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife
12 Small Things by Allen Burger
On Writing by Stephen King
l’ll Sleep When I’m Dead, Warren Zevon
The Dirt, Motley Crue
Long Time Gone, David Crosby (probably my 'favorite ’ in the genre, what an ass and what a mess)
It’s Only Rock n Roll, Jo Woods memoir about life with Ron
Dirty Rocker Boys, Bobbie Brown
Wonderful Tonight, Pattie Boyd
The Road Through Wonderland, Dawn Schiller (look it up…intense!! She is a survivor!!)
Beauty Disrupted, Carrie Otis
Thing of Beauty by Stephen Fried

5 Likes

Drinking: A Love Story
Caroline Knapp

2 Likes

It Will Never Happen to Me - Claudia Black, Ph.D.

"Children raised with addiction move into adulthood with incredible strengths as a result of survivorship. They pat themselves on the back and don’t want to look behind. In time they begin to experience problems as a result of:

• the inability
—to trust their own perception
—to trust others
—to identify needs
—to identify feelings
—to listen
—to relax
—to initiate

• fear
—of feelings
—of conflict
—of rejection or abandonment

• the need to control to feel safe or ward off shame

• impoverished expectations

• unrealistic expectations

• rage

• depression

• substance abuse

• sex addiction

• work addiction

• love and relationship difficulty

• pathological gambling

• compulsive spending

• eating disorders

• repetitive addictive relationships"

5 Likes

Wow…I really need to read this book! I mean that just described me to a T. But I don’t see where I was raised with addiction…I wonder what other types of things I was raised with that caused me to have the same path?

A new pair of glasses - Chuck C

That’s pretty much what I was thinking too after reading Codependent No More by Melody Beattie. I’ll check that podcast-thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any type of trauma in early childhood can have these effects. What was your life like back then?

Healing and Recovery for David Hawkins it great book . I recommending read this book it’s so helpful

2 Likes

This looks great!!

1 Like

I just searched this bc I just finished this book via audible. What a fantastic sobriety book!!! (I wasn’t sure about a main post about it though because I was thinking that the detailed stories might be a bit triggering for those early on in sobriety) but…man oh man what a good read❤️

2 Likes