Sobriety reading

So this is not my first attempt to cut alcohol from my life. Earlier this year, after a really bad night of drinking, I stopped for 2 months. My head was clear and I was actually happy being sober, but I still craved a drink, especially in social settings.

I found that reading helped me a lot. I read This Naked Mind, A Happier Hour, and The Sober Revolution. I’m looking for suggestions for more books as I set out on this journey towards sobriety and taking back my life.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, I can’t tell from your name if you are male or female so this recommendation will be helpful or not but I feel like I learned a LOT from this book.

I also really liked Guts by Kristen Johnston. That book will scare the shit out of any alcoholic!!

2 Likes

Bookmarking this to return to, when I’ve finished my current books on the go!

Lit by Mary Karr, A Girl Walls out of a Bar by Lisa Smith, The Recovering by Leslie Jamison and Blackout: Remembering the things I drank to forget by Sarah Hepola were some of my favorites.

Thank you @VSue . I’m a male, but have found books written by women and about women struggling with alcohol to be very helpful and more relatable.

Maybe you’ll get something from it but it does talk specifically about the emotional and mental reasons women drink more today that past generations…plus a bit on how alcohol affects women differently than men. But it is also part memoir. A good story about how a very successful person gets lost in alcohol addiction.

Another possible suggestion:

I haven’t read it yet but I have on my shelf Russell Brand’s Recovery.

Hey whts that Russel Brand podcasts you like listening to?

Recovery Radio…or We Are Recovery…not sure it’s exact title. I’ll admit there are only 3 or 4 episodes with Russell…but they are gold.

A3ED2D45-CEC5-47A0-9841-CEDB68528C33

He has another podcast that I do NOT like at all. Under the Skin. It’s not exclusively about recovery.

1 Like

I just ordered that! Thanks,

Another great book is, Blackout: Remembering The Things I Drank to Forget, by Sarah Hepola.

1 Like

There is a great interview on NPR with Sarah that is good to listen to.

I enjoyed: Drinking, A Love Story

Here are some of the recovery books that I found enlightening …

Last Call by Nancy Carr
The Sober Diaries
Parched by Heather King
Unwasted, My Lush Sobriety
Blackout, Remembering the things I drank to forget
My Fair Junkie by Amy Dresner
Hopeful Healing by Mackenzie Phillips
Sober Truths, The Making of an honest woman
Saturation by Jennifer Place
Girl Walks Out of a Bar by Lisa Smith
The Naked Mind by Annie Grace
A Happier Hour by Rebecca Weller
High on Arrival by Mackenzie Phillips
Under the Influence by Joyce Maynard
Ice and a Slice by Della Galton
Memoirs aren’t Fairytales
Don’t Take With Alcohol
Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife
12 Small Things by Allen Burger
On Writing by Stephen King
A Drinking Life, Pete Hamill
Dry, Augusten Burroughs

I think the Joyce Maynard one is a novel if I am remembering correctly. As an aside,her autobiography is quite interesting, At Home in the World. Her life is fascinating…tho not directly a recovery story.

The Stephen King book was very interesting, especially as I am a huge fan and born and raised in Maine.

5 Likes

@SassyRocks thank you. This is an extensive list and should certainly help me as I’m early in sobering up. I’ve read a few of these and honestly plan to read them again.

1 Like

I have reread quite a few of them over the years. Glad you found the list helpful. I also read a lot of memoirs from musicians and/or their spouses…which often deal with substance abuse…

I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead, Warren Zevon
The Dirt, Motley Crue
Long Time Gone, David Crosby (probably my 'favorite ’ in the genre, what an ass and what a mess)
It’s Only Rock n Roll, Jo Woods memoir about life with Ron
Dirty Rocker Boys, Bobbie Brown
Wonderful Tonight, Pattie Boyd
The Road Through Wonderland, Dawn Schiller (look it up…intense!! She is a survivor!!)
Beauty Disrupted, Carrie Otis
Thing of Beauty by Stephen Fried

1 Like

Just escaped a craving proud of myself … life is good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just did a screen shot of that list. Thanks

1 Like

@SassyRocks THANK YOU! This has so many suggestions that I won’t run out of books to read! I am about to finish Codependency No More and I really need more. I want more geared towards addiction and recovery, and this list is perfect! Thanks again!!!

2 Likes

You are welcome! I love to read and have found sober memoirs to be helpful in my recovery…hope you do as well!

1 Like

Bookmarked this s thread :+1: thanks

1 Like